• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Other Vortex Razor 1-4 Update w/ range rep VS NXS

htony1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2005
south carolina
Vortex Razor 1-4 scope came in today and I can't make it out to the range to shoot it. So I got it mounted and started running through some dry fire drills and looking through it at various distances. So far im not loving this EBR reticle. I haven't changed the battery but the illumination is useless in daylight and being in the first focal plane, its REALLY small on the lowest setting. Its pretty cool on 4 power but im thinking this wont be a good three gun optic. Currently its residing on an AR15 / flattop.

I used the focus ring on the back of the ocular lens to fine tune the focus of the reticle to my eye, but it still doesn't seem right.

This scope is bulit like a tank and not too long. I REALLY want this scope to work because it is a solid instrument otherwise

Vortex site

I think this model would have been better......hindsight CQMR reticle

Re: Other Vortex Razor 1-4 owners please chime in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: htony1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Razor 1-4 scope came in today and I can't make it out to the range to shoot it. So I got it mounted and started running through some dry fire drills and looking through it at various distances. So far im not loving this EBR reticle. I haven't changed the battery but the illumination is useless in daylight and being in the first focal plane, its REALLY small on the lowest setting. Its pretty cool on 4 power but im thinking this wont be a good three gun optic. Currently its residing on an AR15 / flattop.</div></div>

These sound more like preference issues than function issues. Or did I misread? Is there a genuine functional problem with the scope or did you buy the wrong vortex product for your use?

I am actually glad that you brought this up. I am not exactly sure why I want or need a FFP scope for a 1-4 optic. I have been looking for this magnification of scope and was wondering how a FFP would be and you answered my question. I have a Leupold 3x10 FFP and it is hard to see the reticle on 3 power so I see what you are speaking of.

No this is all on me. Vortex was very cordial when I called to ask about a reticle swap which they couldn't do at this time. I guess I should have qualified my thread. Just asking for end users experience.

From what you have written I think you were confused about what a FFP scope even was. Second I have used this same scope in 3-gun and loved it. Get a switchview on the damn thing and learn how to shoot with it. I like these scopes and I think from what you have said you should sell it and get the Vortex PST SFP scope. It is also 1-4x and would work great for you. I don't personally think you need a FFP 1-4x scope but see their use and place. I run a SFP on my gun right now but that is due to the money to replace the one I have. I tried the Razor in three comps and it worked great. The reticle is one of the best I have seen. JMHO

Thanks for the input. This was my first venture into the 1-4 FFP world. I do have them on other guns, just wanted to fish for some other users experience of them. Thanks for the comments guys.

I like have the razor with the other reticle right now and it's as fast as can be but gets washed out in low light. Illum works good when that happens. Great optic otherwise. I also ran it with PVS14 behind it and it worked good. Very happy with it overall and the service I have gotten from the guys at Vortex.

DSC_5655.JPG

DSC_5647.JPG

DSC_5649.JPG

DSC_5650.JPG

DSC_5676.JPG

DSC_5677.JPG

DSC_5678.JPG

really cool fiber optic light pipe indicator on the zoom ring
DSC_5679.JPG

DSC_5689.JPG

Matech BUIS clearance with a Larue 104
DSC_5680.JPG

illumination knob (each half step is an OFF position, very cool feature)
DSC_5681.JPG

DSC_5682.JPG

scope caps (Bushwacker MFG)
DSC_5683.JPG

objective bell
DSC_5684.JPG

DSC_5686.JPG

DSC_5687.JPG

DSC_5691.JPG

DSC_5693.JPG

reticles:
1x no illumination
DSC_5656.JPG

1x illumination on 6
DSC_5660.JPG

1x illumination on 11 (flaring)
DSC_5662.JPG

2x illumination on 1
DSC_5668.JPG

2x illumination on 6
DSC_5669.JPG

2x illumination on 11
DSC_5670.JPG

2x illumination on 9 (photo was taken about 6pm with overcast skys / the fisheye was caused from the camera focus issue not the glass. It is clear edge to edge)
DSC_5643.JPG

4x illumination on 1
DSC_5672.JPG

4x illumination on 6
DSC_5673.JPG

4x illumination on 11
DSC_5675.JPG

RANGE REPORT

made it out sat morning for some cold and windy range time, especially for SC. Had several scopes that were being zeroed that day using a 50 meter zero with the preliminary sight in planned for 25 yards. POI needed to be about .5-.6" low for a 50 meter zero according to my bulletflight calculations

We put a brand new Nightforce 1-4x24 NXS with the compact mil dot against the Vortex Razor 1-4x24 with the EBR 556 reticle

The nightforce scope was exactly a week and 2 days old since my bud received it from Larue. Both scopes were mounted in the Larue LT104 mount. For the duration of this review the Nightforce rode on a Colt 6940 16" carbine and the Vortex topped a Colt 14.5" factory upper matched to an SBR RRA lower. The pictures below depict the Razor atop a LWRC PSD for fun only, so take that with a grain of salt, just playing potato head with the stuff. At any rate, nightforce was roughly sited in from a previous range session and vortex was only mounted in the mount. Off to the 25 yard line and in about 5 rounds, we had the razor on target.

Before you read this, you should know that my friend purchased the NXS because I recomened it to him. this was about 2 weeks before I picked up the razor. We chose to steer clear of the FC2 reticle because of its 2MOA center dot. The purpose of this scope was going on a 300-600 yard gun. So here we go........

GLASS: RAZOR WINS

Well this was certianly a surprise when you put these two sopes beside one another. . in full disclosure, my previous experience with Nightforce scopes have been the 3.5-15 or 5.5-20 long range scopes used in F-class type shooting. This was my second outing with a compact nightforce, the first being a quick range session after mounting it up on my friends rifle. This was my first ever experience with a vortex optic. Vortex touts this scope as being stuffed with HD glass (high density / extra low dispersion) glass but I was a skeptical and thought it was more a selling point. Also, I know from years of photography that you get what you pay for in glass, focal length, aperture, and construction. Nightforce scopes have always surprised me when compared to the leupold and other mid range optics. The class is crisp and clear and certain features seem to pop out when you looking through them. Whien we mounted up the compact NXS, the glass looked great but the reticle was hard to find (more on that below). When you look through the Vortex, the entire field of view seems to come alive. Edge to edge, the glass makes everything clearer, brighter, with the perfect amount of contrast, at that's at 1x. At 4x there is no lose of clarity its almost like watching a 3D movie. Both my shooting buddy and I agreed that the glass in the Razor was superior to the NXS. You guys are gonna think im nuts, and maybe the NXS we have is a dud, but the razor made the sight picture out of the NXS seem dull
smiley_freak.gif

RETICLE: RAZOR WINS

The biggest surprise of the day for the both of us was how washed out the NXS compact mil dot was. After working the ocular bell to adjust the reticle several times, the crosshair was still very fine. This sucked because the "see through" crosshair in the NXS was a selling point. The illumination was not visible in the 10:00AM sun at any setting. We struggled with finding the reticle in the scope all morning. The Razor was a completely different story. Being in the first focal plan, it starts out small which is faster than I thought. When you crank it up to 4x its loses all the business and is very usable. For some reason I really like the 1.5x and 2x setting on this scope. The reticle seems a litte bigger and more usable at these settings. However, at 1x this scope is MUCH faster transitioning between close targets that I previously thought.

NXS on the brightest illumination setting 1x. (apologize for the terrible pics and flare)
DSC_5717.JPG

Razor on the brightest illumination setting 1x
DSC_5721.JPG

Razor on brightest illumination setting 4x
DSC_5722.JPG

[span style='font-weight: bold;']
CONSTRUCTION[/span]: NXS wins because the compacts are made stateside

Personally, I think that both of these scopes are built and designed extremely well. I like the styling and size of the NXS way better. It seems more streamlined and not as bulky. The Razor weighs 3.2 more ounces than the NXS which isn't much but when you combine the weight and actual size, the RAZOR is a little chunky.......for lack of a better word.

Turrets: NXS WINS

This NXS came with the capped .25 MOA turrets and the Razor came with the exposed, standard .25 MOA turrets. The Nightforce has good positive and audible clicks. They give you a tactile and audible signature that you adjustment has been made and you can do this without having to move the gun or take your eyes from the scope if the caps are removed. The turrents on the Razor don't need to be locking because they were the hardest turrets I have ever adjusted. Althougth the elevation and windage adjustments are marked clearly to allow quick / easy adjustment, both turrets took A LOT of force to move them. I don't know if something was wrong with my scope or not, but they were very hard to move. They were positive, but for every adjustment I had to reposition to adjust. its not the same click you hear with the NXS but more of a tactile only response. Tracking was accurate and spot on with both optics which is great. They both do what you tell them to with no issues. Personally, Im a big fan of the .250 MOA adjustments. Im used to them and it gives me the flexibility I like. Due to the size and ease of adjustment the NXS was easier to me. I do love the indicator mark on the RAZOR though

Illumination: RAZOR WINS

For this review it was hands down the razor. It the almost noon sun (bright clear day) the illumination was visible at each power setting. Now its not going to be like an aimpoint / eotech / acog illumination but bright enough for picking up targets 25-100 yards @ illumination on 11. Very cool

Razor 1x illumination on 11
DSC_5721.JPG

Aimpoint T1 on its highest illumination for comparison
DSC_5729.JPG

The NXS's reticle was just barely daylight visible and this was a huge disappointment. Actually the illumination in this scope is usless unless its dawn / dusk or inside in a dim environment. Maybe the FC2 reticle sucks in more light but this was a huge disappointment to myself and the new NXS owner. talk about feeling like heel, recommending this based on prior experience with other nightforce scopes and encountering this afield...............ooops. Both scopes were sporting fresh batteries as well for the test.

ZOOM RING: RAZOR WINS

The zoom ring on the razor was pretty sweet. the 1, 1.5, 2, 3, and 4 magnification settings have a rear facing indexing marker combined with the small fiber optic tube to identify what power your own. The zoom ring swings freely and rubber coated ring is a nice tough. Offers a positive purchase, smooth rotation, and quick adjustment. The NXZ's zoom ring is smaller and somewhat stiffer and adjusting it was a little more of a pain. This is another example of Vortex putting a lot of thought into a portion of the design that I think will pay dividends.

One interesting lesson I learned about the razor is when the battery CR2032 battery is low it only works on the 11 setting. I thought something was wrong with the scope before I changed it and bam. much brighter with tons of adjustment. There is a big difference between the 10 and 11 setting as well. Looks to me that Vortex put some effort into the 11 setting to get a much more usable daylight lite reticle.

CONCLUSION:

Both agreed on Sat. that the Razor's image quality, clarity, and good reticle (and growing on me every outting) make it a better choice dollar for dollar. I really wish it was made in the US because thats important to me. Whatever the case, the razor has just about everything going for it you could imagine. Personally, I would like to play with a second focal plane version with the Viper PST 1-4 reticle using this glass and some turrets that were easier to adjust. I just can't say enough about this glass. Its been a couple years since I had a Schmidt & Bender in my hands and although I remember it be ultra clear (and heavy) I don't feel comfortable making a comparison. Would like to do the road though. I certainly thought the Nighforce would have surpassed the Razor or at the very least held its own, but for everyone there sat, the razor surpassed it in just about every category. Also, when I called Vortex to ask about a possible reticle swap when I first got the scope, they said they didn't have enough reticles or the setup to do that right now. But they were VERY helpful and kind on the phone. I got the feeling that they would help me if there was a problem. I like that as well from a company. I haven't called Nightforce with a question before so I can't speak of the their customer service.

If I can get my hands on a Viper PST 1-4 x 24, I wlil do a side by side of them as well. If you have any questions, shoot me an email

hope this helps somebody down the road. Look for more reviews when budget allows:

DSC_5708.JPG

DSC_5719.JPG

DSC_5712.JPG

Afield:

DSC_5702.JPG

Nice review sir, very thorough. Just a few notes- We purposely designed the turrets to be very stiff as 90% of the users will not be turning turrets very often and we didnt want them to be accidentally turning, especially for things like three gun where you are constantly taking your gun in and out of barrels and sorts. That being said if you want them to turn easier it is as simple as taking the cap off and putting a greater quantity of silicone type grease on the o-ring. If you are still interested in a reticle swap just let me know(not sure why someone told you we cant do it right now). Thanks again for the review.

Scott

While I do not personally see a need for a ffp in a 1-4x optic, what bemuses me to no end is the thought that the illumination should be daylight visable.

Illumination is for low light, the reticle does not require illumination in the daylight.
If you want a dot sight, buy a dot sight and get a magnifier.

To the OP, this may seem like I am busting your chops, I am not. I have seen the whole "daylight visable" illumination on so many threads, it is impossible to keep count.

If the illumination is daylight visable, then it is too bright for low light or nighttime use, as it will bleed from the objective lens, marking your position.
Since this is a "tactical" scope and would find use in LE and possibly military hands, the importance of cover and concealment can not be over stated.

Very excellent review.

Now wheres the NF rep chiming in about the reasons it fell short?

Oh, there arent any here.

In my book thats +10 points to Vortex

I welcome all comment and discussion, no sweat on busting my chops On the illumination, the 11 setting on this scope is SUPER bright and appears to be for using during the day. Settings 1-10 cause much less flare in the scope tube so if being detected is a concern then you can adjust accordingly or not use it at all.

I can speak of using the illumination for quick / reflexive shooting at IDPA type targets at ranges from 1-100 yards. During the bright mid-day sun the illumination, set on 11, make the reticle easier to pickup at 1x. I haven't used this scope to hunt but I can speak of using other lit reticle designs at dusk for making a shot.... for me they are worth the money but to each his/her own. 3 Gunners would appreciate this.

I really like the fact that Vortex will comment / response to PMs, phone calls, etc. They seem to be great company with a great product and I hope it stays that way. Maybe the "demand" for a good scope and customer service will result in the "supply" of both......time will tell.

There are quite a bit of Nightforce users out there and I hope they can chime in to speak of their experiences. Especially with the FC2 reticle.

That was a nice read, but, for me, the NF is the better scope, (for me) I think the glass is about the same, but I didn't have them side by side to compare, the NF is sleek, compact, sexy. As far as the reticle, again personal choice, the FC-2 is the reticle for this optic, its fast, not going to wash out in brush, and I don't have a problem hitting a mini sniper popper at 250 yards, thats as precise as I need it to be, now the rubber on the switch ring is a good idea, but I put cat tails on my scopes, the turrets, mine are capped, I don't plan on dialing, takes to long for the purpose of the scope, holding dope is where its at.
Bottem line is, you can't go wrong with either one, both are made in the USA, that was a big deal for me, and both company's support the shooting sports

I really want to get my hands on the FC2 reticle for a side by side. It does look appear more "high speed" IMHO. I think its because is more compact and streamlined. My Razor is stamped "Made in Japan" underneath the turrets

If I can just get my hands on a PST 1-4........

I thought they were made in the US, my NF is made here, they still are good supporters of 3 gun, they had a table set up at last years Blue Ridge Mountain 3 gun. I like the ill knob having off spots between settings,I think if NF could get their ill better it would attract a lot more shooters, if it was really bright I would turn it on, but it hasn't ben a detriment to me, as far as the FC-2 reticle, you just need to play with it,it has hold out to 600, if I could add to it, I would put a couple of 5 mph wind dot holds at the top and bottom of the triangle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I do not personally see a need for a ffp in a 1-4x optic, what bemuses me to no end is the thought that the illumination should be daylight visable.

Illumination is for low light, the reticle does not require illumination in the daylight.
If you want a dot sight, buy a dot sight and get a magnifier.

To the OP, this may seem like I am busting your chops, I am not. I have seen the whole "daylight visable" illumination on so many threads, it is impossible to keep count.

If the illumination is daylight visable, then it is too bright for low light or nighttime use, as it will bleed from the objective lens, marking your position.
Since this is a "tactical" scope and would find use in LE and possibly military hands, the importance of cover and concealment can not be over stated. </div></div>

A daylight visible reticle makes it easier and faster to pick ip the reticle in the daytime, just like a red dot. That's why the S&B CQB Short Dot works so well and it is one of the best 1x4 scopes out there.

Eventually people are going to start realizing that FFP is not all that great an idea. The scopes first and foremost task is to put the target in the crosshairs. FFP compromises that function.

Many of us don't shoot at night and don't need illumination.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eventually people are going to start realizing that FFP is not all that great an idea. The scopes first and foremost task is to put the target in the crosshairs. FFP compromises that function.

Many of us don't shoot at night and don't need illumination. </div></div>

I've had so many different 1x4 scopes that it would take too long to name them. If done right, a 1x4 FFP scope works great. If you have an FFP with a daytime visible reticle, the S&B short dot is the best example of a good one. If you have a 1x4 FFP without a daytime visible reticle, the Horus talon or similar scope with a circle dot reticle works best. The 1x4 SFP scopes are similar. One of the worst ones I had was the Swarovski 1x6 with the illuminated circle dot because the circle dot reticle covered up too much target. I would have prefered the German #7 style much better.

ran this scope out to 300 yards yesterday and I must say I really like it now. After shooting it close to mid range, its a versitle unit.

200 yards @ 4x
200ydRAZOR.jpg

300 yards @ 4x
300ydRAZOR.jpg

300 yards @ 4x w/ illumination on
300ydRAZOR_ILLUM.jpg

How do you get such good pics through the scope? I tried getting pics of my FC-2 reticle and couldn't come even close to yours

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eventually people are going to start realizing that FFP is not all that great an idea. The scopes first and foremost task is to put the target in the crosshairs. FFP compromises that function.

Many of us don't shoot at night and don't need illumination.</div></div>

Eventually you may realize that everyone else's shooting circumstances, needs, and wants may be unique from your own and from each others
smile.gif

I like FFP because I can count on the mil values at all magnification strengths. One of the fun things about an optic is that many of them are variable power! Imagine that, I can use a lower magnification to get on target, and then scale up as needed to gain additional clarity. Sure, the trade off is giving up a constant-sized reticle however thats ok with me. If you prefer the reverse more power to you.

While you are likely correct in that I have only ever had two times out where I have EVER shot in dusk conditions, I like having illumination. Knowing if I ever need it, its there.

I just received my Razor HD 1-4 with the EBR-556 reticle. I want to confirm the OP's opinions with mine as well. I love the reticle itself, as it is a BDC reticle that offers windage compensation as well.

The illumination is very sporadic, where 11 is extremely bright(100%) and the only setting you can use during the day. Where as 10 is like (65%), and then you really cant see a change in the brightness down to 6, and then its pretty much invisible after that. This would be fine for night time use as you would want to stay concealed, but for me the reticle gets washed out to easily during the day so you need illumination on at all times.

The ARD that it comes with greatly dims the sight picture so I would choose not to use it. Turrets are extremely stiff, but Scott makes a good point saying that you shouldnt use the turrets much. I pulled my scope out of the box after it sat in 32 degree weather in the UPS truck for however long and the turrets wouldnt move, so thats something to take in consideration if you live in a colder climate.

It is extremely rugged feeling, and the magnification ring is great. I think the only thing that Vortex should work on is there Illumination system, maybe try to get a better spectrum of brightness through the settings. I just wanted to give a brief overview of what I thought of mine as well, sorry if I hi-jacked.

I just got my razor 1-4 yesterday, haven't been able to make it to the range yet but have been messing with it and dry firing with since it got here. So far I am VERY pleased with mine. I can't say enough about the glass, I was comparing it to my new nightforce 3.5-15 and think that they are very close to being the same clarity and color transition. Maybe a slight edge to the razor, very slight. The reticle looks awesome on all mag settings. I don't see me taking any long shots or reading the reticle on 1 power, at the mag all shots will be center mass or getting myself on target using the outer heavy lines to direct me to center. The only illumination issue I can see is on the highest setting in lowlight conditions on four power. Seems to kind of reflect off the reticle in the tube or something. Again, not an issue for me knowing this I won't turn it to the highest setting in low light, I prefer the 7-10 in low light and setting 11 is perfect in daylight conditions. Love the rubber mag ring. The turrets aren't quite what I expected, I can hear the clicks but really can't feel them. Personally for me this again is no issue I bought the EBR 556 ret because I intend on using hold over not doping my turrets. Seems to be a very solid scope, kinda heavy. I would imagine it can take some abuse. Kind of a rediculas statement, only time will tell. 
The only real issue I have with it is the cheap aluminum battery cover mars and burrs WAY too easy when trying to get it off and on. They REALLY should have made this cover out of some prehard steal. Just my opinion, cuz I can't stand seeing the rolled burr and am going to see if I can get a few on hand replacements!!!!!!!
So overall I am very impressed with my new glass, can't wait to get to the range with it.

One thing worth mentioning that I can't seem to figure out. When cold, like 30 sum degrees. The turrets are crazy hard to turn. Weird!!

Hey guys,
New to the forums and looking to purchase one of these two optics (Vortex Razor CQMR or Nightforce NXS FC2) for a Recce build. I'm having trouble deciding between the two. Just wondering if there are any updates here? Issues/likes/dislikes?
Thanks!

another good point for the vortex is its price at around $450
easy choice to make at a price like that.

^^ Not for the Razor...

I had a similar choice mdrei... I shot a tactical rifle event with a borrowed rifle that had a S&B Short Dot. That is the best scope I can imagine for the 3-gun or tactical game where one stage may have you shooting 30 yards and the next 500.

This type of situation is where the FFP and the illumination shine (no pun intended). At 1X pop the illumination on and use it like a Red Dot. Put the dot on the target and squeeze keeping both eyes open. Longer ranges kick the ill. off and dial it up to 4x and use the BC to lock in and pull... no turret adjustments needed as Scott pointed out.

The NF would have been my first choice as I love my NXS on the .308 but the FFP of the Razor along with the ranging, BC reticle for the "dark side" of the games sold me on the Vortex.

Add something else... I went to sight my AR in and set it on the bench and my buddy's kid bumped it and the gun went over and down to the concrete below landing on the turrets, aside from some marring on the turrets (and some tightly controlled anger), absolutely no issues with shifted POI. So the optic is tough as well and a quick email to Vortex that was returned in <span style="font-weight: bold">less than an hour</span> told me replacement turret caps were $20 each).

Loving the Vortex and the Support form their CS is outstanding as well.

Thanks for the info guys. They both are clearly nice scopes. Initially I was all over the Z6i,but have since talked myself down - less about "afford" and more about "need". That combined with the fact that its only $300 less than the S&B - at that level why not get the best.

I have to say the Vortex appeals to me, mainly because the reviews have been neutal to positive (no one has waived the red flag) and the warranty seems top notch. I think I like the simpler CQMR reticle and would just learn the holdovers. Will probably give it a go.