• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Otto noise barrier foam tips

Andrew07

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2018
What foam tips do you guys prefer for your in ear ear pro? Links encouraged!

Kinda pricey. I do find the oem ones unusable, too short and not compressable enough to fit and expand tightly.

With 40 years working in high noise environment (turbojet engines), nothing beats the performance of std yellow foam plugs.

Pro-tip; take std yellow EAR plugs, use a 3/32-1/8" punch, punch out a hole through the center of the plug, install on tube. Cheap. replaceable, washable.

Thanks! That was the brand I was looking for just didn’t know which one exactly.

Thanks for the tip mark82 I will definitely give that a try.

I agree the standard yellow foamies work the best to fit my ears.

I use them if I forget my custom moulded plugs.

I also use them under electronic muffs on indoor or crowded ranges.

The silence helps me concentrate on the shot better.

I especially make new shooters double up. I believe noise is the number one nemesis for a beginner.

I agree the standard yellow foamies work the best to fit my ears.

I use them if I forget my custom moulded plugs.

I also use them under electronic muffs on indoor or crowded ranges.

The silence helps me concentrate on the shot better.

I especially make new shooters double up. I believe noise is the number one nemesis for a beginner.

Yes, doubling up in large amplitude/low freq environments is smart. Muffs help reduce the bone transfer component of low freq sound.

A common misconception with the new tech electronic muffs is that they work better to protect your hearing. They dont, they just allow you to hear speaking while providing no better protection than passive muffs. Muffs do not provide the level of protection that plugs do, ever.

I have met more than one person who is scared of guns and shooting simply because they are afraid of the sound. Easily fixed with proper care.

Reactions: ZG47A and Snuby642
I haven’t bought the ottos yet. Where are y’all buying from? I was about to order from optics planet because I have a 10% off code but basically that just covers the tax so they are still $400ish. Looks like botach had them for $329 but they are sold out. I don’t mind buying quality gear but I’m a cheap bastard!

I haven't tried the comply's above and might still, but I bought $18 worth of the Skullscrews that are also recommended as aftermarket and am happy with them, I have worn them regularly for 1 and 2 day outdoor matches. I prefer overear muffs for anything indoor or closer proximity to other people's brakes like on a firing line.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Sk...3&sr=1-1-70f7c15d-07d8-466a-b325-4be35d7258cc

Updated link to work.

They are way better than anything that came stock and I typically get 3 days worth of wearing out of a set before I replace them because they're compressed or just nasty with ear shmegma.

Last edited:
I haven't tried the comply's above and might still, but I bought $18 worth of these and am happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Skull-Replacement-370-1019-10/

They are way better than anything that came stock and I typically get 3 days worth of wearing out of a set before I replace them because they're compressed or just nasty with ear shmegma.
Dead link.

We tried the skulls also, didnt seem to work much better than oem. Not nearly as well as the modified EARs I mentioned. Just not a good seal compared to the EARs.

While saving up for top tier earpro these work with foamies well for me.

20200626_113440.jpg

You can here range commands and who is calling you a sob behind your back. Lol

Electronic muffs work well, not as good protection as plugs (unless you double as you said) but the trade off is good. Where they are a problem is in high temps for several hours or when using rifles/carbines. And I prefer to wear a hat that can actually provide some sun protection, not baseball caps which do nothing. Thus electronic plugs are a better option IF you can fix the ear seal problems. I use the cheap walkers with a collar device and small wires that run to the plugs. Works for me but my daughter always winds up pulling out theplug against the gun. So she wears std foam plug in her right ear and the electronic bud in the left.

GF got the Otto, didnt like the seal with oem or skulls. Jury is still out on whether they work well enough with the custom plugs. I should mention that the EAR plugs come in two lengths, Classic and Plus. I use the Classic length in the modded ones, or cut down the Plus. Too long and the inner sound tube may get squeezed closed. YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
How do these compare to skull screws?

I find the Complys much more comfortable than the skull screws
How about the noise reduction comparison? I plan on getting custom molds but until then I am trying to figure out which foam tip to run.[/QUOTE]

I haven’t bought the ottos yet. Where are y’all buying from? I was about to order from optics planet because I have a 10% off code but basically that just covers the tax so they are still $400ish. Looks like botach had them for $329 but they are sold out. I don’t mind buying quality gear but I’m a cheap bastard!
I would buy direct from otto or brownells. I bought mine from botach to save a little and when one went bad I contacted otto. They wanted me to go to botch to take care of it but got zero help from botach. No reply to emails or answered phone calls. Otto did take care of me then and had a new pair in a little over a week.

How about the noise reduction comparison? I plan on getting custom molds but until then I am trying to figure out which foam tip to run.
[/QUOTE]
Both have good noise reduction. Can't say one was better than the other.

What/where are people getting custom molds made to work with the ottos?

Just used mine yesterday with the skullscrews at 1-day PRS match all outdoors again.
Still no complaints, but I've got a set of comply tips being delivered today so can do a little compare/contrast.
$17 is a cheap experiment to keep my ears working.

I ordered from magnum electronics on Friday and they are suppose to be here Monday. Got them for $389 with free shipping. Cheapest price I could find and super fast shipping can’t beat that