• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Over the barrel suppressors?

DavidK

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2006
Very few companies make over the barrel suppressors. Are they not effective at supression?

Have had great luck with an ops 12, or AEM5. It has the nicest tone, I've heard on a 5.56. However due to all the mounting woes, and new suppressor tech I'd probably skip it at this point.

In my opinion also, the the back over the barrel / Reflex suppressors do not serve a use as well as modern high quality front mounting suppressors.

For both optimum sound and flash suppression, the baffles situated in front of the muzzle achieve more performance than the expansion tube / chamber rearwards. You also do not see the best flash suppression from a suppressor that adds little length.

Just looking at the sound suppression, modern front mounting suppressors can be as good or even better than some of the back over the barrel suppressors.

So in essence a lot of that back over the barrel length and weight is wasted space and weight, if not utilized in a more complex form for a lower back pressure design.

In which case the suppressor gets heavier and more complex.

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors

I agree, the AEM5 is an awesome can. As good as any 223 can I have ever seen and it doesn't add the length of a "full frontal " suppressor. I swap mine between four different ARs and its repeatable and accurate to 600 yards on barrels from 16 -20". Stays put on my rifles as well, but I ensure at least 6 thread engagements on my rifles.

I think barrel over comes down to the users end requirement, much like weight, FA rating, etc.

(fixed a shit load of auto-correct nonsense)

Last edited:
I have been using the AEM5 (.30 cal) on 5.56, 6.5CM, .308, and .300 win mag and this is usually the quietest can at the range. Everyone that has heard it loves the " tone" of this can. I am a fan. I have a SAS Covert suppressor setup in Jail and will give you that update when I get the approval. This SAS can is a total over the barrel setup.

I also run an AEM5 on my MK12 Mod 0 clone. Easily the quietest can I've used on a 5.56 gun. POI shift is minimal and repeatable. Ron Allen is a great guy to chat with and he will do anything he can to help you out. Keep in mind this was a result of a clone and dictated exactly which can I purchased, but I'm very happy with it.

This is the extent of my experience with reflex cans though. As others have stated, modern tech and materials probably make them obsolete outside of cloning. The MK13 Mod 5, MK11, and M110 all also use reflex cans but .mil isn't always concerned with absolute sound suppression as much as signature reduction overall.

Don't think I have ever heard of anyone being disappointed with a OpsInc/Ron Allen can.

A buddy has one for his mk12. Not the best overall around can as there are better option now days BUT that can sounds so good. It’s quiet and the tone it produces makes it sound more quiet then it is. It’s a great can

Reactions: OzzyO20
The TDS Specter (5.56) has a short reflex section so the overall length of the system is kept a short as possible. TDS will have 2 new over the barrel (reflex) designs out later this year. They are in the prototype phase right now. One in 30 cal and the other in .338. We can do some pretty cool stuff with redirecting gas flow rearward and then back forward via directed flow. By steering the gas, we can make better use of the rear section of the suppressor over the traditional concept of using it as an additional expansion chamber. So far, these designs have shown great results. Ill post some info as we get closer to the release.

Reactions: Dirty D
My only reflex today is a Knight's on an M110. Not very impressive for the weight or length. My 7" TBAC handily outperforms it. Probably not an apples to apples comparison and maybe a current tech reflex would be better. Doesn't seem like the can makers here think so though.

With the exception of ASE Utra and B&T, many if not most made in Europe are of the reflex type. And the best suppress over 30db just like American front mounted. Cant remember any complaining about ruined accuracy with them either.
I'm most familiar with two Norwegian suppressors, A-Tec and Hausken. They have ones which extends the OAL rifle length by approx 6". Db reduction of 30-33db. Those are around $500

Reactions: PRSDietitian