• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

over tumbled brass?

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Stupid question. I just bought a tumbler, I was cleaning everything by hand. It wasn't a big deal until I started loading for a semi, then I had to get a tumbler. Should have done it sooner!

I went shooting yesterday morning and then I came home and threw a load of Lapua .308 brass in the tumbler, and headed off to work. I normally have been finding my brass plenty clean after 2-3 hours, but I figured 10 hours wouldn't be the end of the world. Well, one thing lead to another, I got held late at work, came home, ate dinner, forgot about the brass, and went to bed. I woke up early this morning remembering it! It tumbled for a total of 20 hours.

I can't see any down side to tumbling too long, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks guys,

-Bob

Lowes has some xmas light timers for about $7. Has a 2, 4, 6 HR dusk to dawn. Just put duct tape over the light sensor.

What are you tumbling with? Corn cob or walnut, I wouldn't worry about it but, if you are using stainless steal media, I would inspect your case mouths carefully.

What are you tumbling with? Corn cob or walnut, I wouldn't worry about it but, if you are using stainless steal media, I would inspect your case mouths carefully.

Walnut. I didn't expect an issue per se, but I have heard of tumbling causing work hardning and didn't know if I should anneal the brass just in case. I had annealed it before the last firing so I wasn't planning on doing it again soon, but perhaps I should.

I would worry more about leaving the house with the tumbler on . They have been known to overheat and erupt into flames.

That would be my main concern versus and damage to brass. I usually tumble mine 6-8 hours.

I have heard of tumbling causing work hardning

Lots of this information going around, usually from people that don't understand what it takes to "work harden" brass. First of all, it has to be "worked" and tumbling doesn't do that.

The risk of the tumbler motor overheating and catching fire is the greater risk when tumbling "forever". I'd strongly recommend that you run an expander through the necks before loading. Either a mandrel type or just set the expander ball nice and low and run the case into the sizing die just enough to make sure the case neck is round and uniform in size, top to bottom.

Lots of this information going around, usually from people that don't understand what it takes to "work harden" brass. First of all, it has to be "worked" and tumbling doesn't do that.

The risk of the tumbler motor overheating and catching fire is the greater risk when tumbling "forever". I'd strongly recommend that you run an expander through the necks before loading. Either a mandrel type or just set the expander ball nice and low and run the case into the sizing die just enough to make sure the case neck is round and uniform in size, top to bottom.

Thanks for clarifying. I had assumed as well that a tumbler wouldn't work harden brass, but sometimes assumptions are incorrect. Now I know!

-Bob

Lowes has some xmas light timers for about $7. Has a 2, 4, 6 HR dusk to dawn. Just put duct tape over the light sensor.
Great idea. I wired up a 20 amp analog timer (made for the old bathroom heater lights), but it cost alot more than that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I need to get a tumbler. I have been using a sonic cleaner. It is great for getting the crap out of the cases, but for some damn reason, the cases are not "bright and shiny" when they come out. In fact, they are dull and kind of dark. I use a scotch bright to make em' really pop, then I give them a bubble bath, then I use Turtle Wax, then I...just kidding.

I do use the scotch bright pad, though. It makes them brighter than when they were brand new...

A buddy advised me to do the sonic cleaner, dry them, and then toss them in the tumbler. That way I don't have to work so damn hard. Polishing 100 cases by hand sucks!!!

I need to get a tumbler. I have been using a sonic cleaner. It is great for getting the crap out of the cases, but for some damn reason, the cases are not "bright and shiny" when they come out. In fact, they are dull and kind of dark. I use a scotch bright to make em' really pop, then I give them a bubble bath, then I use Turtle Wax, then I...just kidding.

I do use the scotch bright pad, though. It makes them brighter than when they were brand new...

A buddy advised me to do the sonic cleaner, dry them, and then toss them in the tumbler. That way I don't have to work so damn hard. Polishing 100 cases by hand sucks!!!

I was doing the same thing, using scotchbright after trimming. Especially with old military brass. I just picked up a tumbler and man life is better. Decap, tumble, dry and done.

NW Expeditions

I often tumble for 24 hours. The tumblers were designed to run for long prtiods tumbling rocks. However, I still put my tumbler on a concrete floor with nothing flamable within 3-4 feet in all directions. I guess the chord could burn, but the motor is encased in metal.

I often tumble for 24 hours. The tumblers were designed to run for long prtiods tumbling rocks. However, I still put my tumbler on a concrete floor with nothing flamable within 3-4 feet in all directions. I guess the chord could burn, but the motor is encased in metal.

You funny! Tumbling rocks.... LMAO. My neighbor left his electric BBQ pit plugged in and turned off (the red tag on the electric cord said "do not leave plugged in"). He left it plugged in... burned his house down.

You funny! Tumbling rocks.... LMAO. My neighbor left his electric BBQ pit plugged in and turned off (the red tag on the electric cord said "do not leave plugged in"). He left it plugged in... burned his house down.

So what do you suppose caused the fire? The motor? Or the heating element? How about the "neighbor" that left the hot device on a flammable surface, unattended?

Duh!

FWIW, people have been running rock tumblers for weeks on end and the most popular brass tumblers are just "relabeled" rock tumblers.

More Common Sense needs to be applied.

When I bought my Thumbler's Tumbler, I had to go to a rock polishing shop to find it, and it was sold as a rock polisher. This was nearly 30 years ago. Since then, I have worn out about a half dozen of the drive belts, and my main axels are about worn out. But it is still running on the same motor.

I agree with the "use common sense" comment. I have NEVER trusted mine to not chatch on fire, hence my always leaving it somewhere it won't hurt anything if it decides to flame on. If people have concerns about how long to run a tumbler, the best info would probably come from the manufacturer. Liability concerns would probably have them giving a very conservative time frame for running the tumbler. But then, I don't like leaving any electrical devices like dryers, fans, or other items running when I leave the house. I don't even like having the dishwasher running when I leave the house, and I realize that is a bit overcautious. I do it, but am not completely comfortable with it.

So what do you suppose caused the fire? The motor? Or the heating element? How about the "neighbor" that left the hot device on a flammable surface, unattended?

Duh!

FWIW, people have been running rock tumblers for weeks on end and the most popular brass tumblers are just "relabeled" rock tumblers.

More Common Sense needs to be applied.

I think quite a few tumblers have been cheapened in the manufacturers build specs when they decide to label them brass tumblers. A bowl full of brass and walnut/ corn is usually not very heavy compared to rock and rock polishing media. The little clicker on off switch I had with my tumbler was the same as what is on a household light- very light construction, and it stopped working after about a year.

BM11, don't forget that a good idea is to buy yourself a fan that sits low enough to blow directly on the motor while the tumbler is in use. It works wonders keeping that thing at a lower temperature.

BM11, don't forget that a good idea is to buy yourself a fan that sits low enough to blow directly on the motor while the tumbler is in use. It works wonders keeping that thing at a lower temperature.

And if the "tumbler" is one of those with a vibrating bowl the fan will work great to spread the dust evenly over everything around it. ;)

The timer is the ticket. Next, use a GFI receptacle or make sure your on a GFI breaker. Cuts the risk of a fire. JMHO.

Only after the fire's started. Perhaps you meant "Arc-Fault Detector". These are now required in new construction for any circuit feeding a bedroom.