Overnight hotel tips when traveling for a match

brianf

Private
Belligerents
Apr 8, 2010
NY
next time i travel with my rifle(s) im picking up SKB or alike hard shell golf club bag.
usually 45-50" long, ill pad it out inside
can go anywhere with out being noticed, especially if you put a golf sticker or 2 on there
handles, wheels etc
ive gone places that my cases have boot prints and alike when i pick them up on the luggage belt

only reason we buy rectangle cases is because thats what weve been taught to buy

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Belligerents
Aug 10, 2001
Arizona, good place for me...
For me, overnight stays for matches are and should be a normal matter. Traveling to Phoenix is a five hour drive, and I'm not going to go there and then shoot the match soon after; I'm no colossus.

Unless I have some maintenance or adjustment, or some such other thing to do on my gear; it stays in the van. Such requirement simply suggest poor preparation and/or planning on my part; and they are as rare an occurrence as I can manage.

My gear stays in the van. The windows are dark, the interior is black, and the gear is also carried in black cases. A black blanket coverup completes the masquerade. Opening any door or hatch will set off the alarm.

Beyond that, I'm vulnerable. Stolen goods can be replaced; it's the lives that are important. I build my own guns and ammunition, and my other gear is of a frugal nature; so there's that...

I'll live.

Greg

Last edited:

Boatninja

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2018
Texas Coast
I travel often with firearms and in addition to what others have said I never leave firearms in my truck or car. I try to pick motels that I can park in front of my room to accomodate moving arms into the room discretely. These motels usually aren't five star places but my rifles and shotgun are dear to me.

BootMan545

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2018
Wow! I haven't checked on this post since June 4th. First, thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions. Wasn''t expecting this amount of attention. Truly appreciate the feedback. First time posting to Snipers Hide and I really appreciate the positive attitudes.

For those who are curious, I did indeed carry all my gear to the room with me. I don't have stickers all over my gear or truck, but its in a "tacticool" case that most anyone could associate with a gun. Anyways, no issues at all. Got some looks, but gave the "its all good head nod." I would feel sick if my guns were stolen and someone used them to do evil things. I traveled the following weekend for another match and I think I'm getting a system down to ensure my stuff/vehicle are protected as much as possible.

Again, thank you to all for the suggestions!

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Insurance or not, you aren’t worried about needing it for the class or competition you’re traveling to?
Nah. The odds are pretty low of them actually getting stolen.

If someone breaks into my vehicle, regardless if they take a rifle, I’m probably not gonna be going through with my plans.

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I don’t make sure I don’t leave pliers or a hammer in my vehicle.

Rifle is a tool, nothing more. If you have some sentimental value, don’t leave it around.

Simonsza1

Private
Belligerents
Feb 27, 2014
I personally don’t want my pliers or hammers getting stolen either but would leave those in my car not my weapons. Everyone has there own opinions though and that’s what makes us all have a good time when we get together and tell stories.

aslrookie

Private
Belligerents
Mar 19, 2017
I bring mine into the room from a side access door after checking in. If I have to leave the hotel room, I hide the case under the bed or some other area tucked away until I return.

aprocast

Private
Belligerents
Mar 7, 2012
I bring mine into the room from a side access door after checking in. If I have to leave the hotel room, I hide the case under the bed or some other area tucked away until I return.
Now that is really sneaky, good thinking 🤠

jgsh1375

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2019
Glad to hear Bootman 545 made the right choice of taking his firearm(s) inside the hotel. Not only were they safe, but he was able to compete. Hope you did well.

With regard to storing firearms in a vehicle overnight at a hotel/motel, with all due respect, IMHO, is irresponsible. You immediately lose control of it; it's no longer in a secure location; too easy for juveniles to obtain possession of; will most likely end up in the wrong hands (they did steal it); and could possible end up being used in the commission of a felony/murder. So many wrongs with leaving a firearm in a vehicle because "I was too lazy to bring it inside." Just my opinion.

Reactions: Simonsza1

Ugly_Duck

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2019
Wisconsin
Can’t speak for a match but whenever I hunt out of state I’m very rarely out of arms reach from my weapon. Tent/Hotel doesn’t matter. I don’t have a whole lot of faith in people that way

Ugly_Duck

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2019
Wisconsin
I have also found most western states to be very accepting of people with firearms. Especially in well know hunting districts. I take my pack with rifle in the scabbard up to my room and have yet to even get a dirty look. Quite often it will actually spark conversation with other travelers. Of course its pretty obvious I look like like I am hunting, not... ya know..

Reactions: Simonsza1

b6graham

MMPRL
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
I have also found most western states to be very accepting of people with firearms. Especially in well know hunting districts. I take my pack with rifle in the scabbard up to my room and have yet to even get a dirty look. Quite often it will actually spark conversation with other travelers. Of course its pretty obvious I look like like I am hunting, not... ya know..
not the same looks i get carrying a pelican and kuiu pack into my Boston apartment haha

Ugly_Duck

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2019
Wisconsin
I don’t make sure I don’t leave pliers or a hammer in my vehicle.

Rifle is a tool, nothing more. If you have some sentimental value, don’t leave it around.
I agree, but on the other hand I've never owned a 4,000$ pliers and hammer set

Ugly_Duck

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2019
Wisconsin
next time i travel with my rifle(s) im picking up SKB or alike hard shell golf club bag.
usually 45-50" long, ill pad it out inside
can go anywhere with out being noticed, especially if you put a golf sticker or 2 on there
handles, wheels etc
ive gone places that my cases have boot prints and alike when i pick them up on the luggage belt

only reason we buy rectangle cases is because thats what weve been taught to buy
Golf bags not a bad idea, Although I always feel like Im robbing myself a little freedom when I choose to hide my guns or love there of

theLBC

Shiftless
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2019
Wow! I haven't checked on this post since June 4th. First, thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions. Wasn''t expecting this amount of attention. Truly appreciate the feedback. First time posting to Snipers Hide and I really appreciate the positive attitudes.

For those who are curious, I did indeed carry all my gear to the room with me. I don't have stickers all over my gear or truck, but its in a "tacticool" case that most anyone could associate with a gun. Anyways, no issues at all. Got some looks, but gave the "its all good head nod." I would feel sick if my guns were stolen and someone used them to do evil things. I traveled the following weekend for another match and I think I'm getting a system down to ensure my stuff/vehicle are protected as much as possible.

Again, thank you to all for the suggestions!
i can see how you might want to avoid looking like the vegas shooter.
i made this just for fun.

luckily the stupid fin doesn't interfere with long range shooting, and i have a shelf for my thumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: BootMan545

Snipe260

Captain
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
I always leave my hipoint super tactical carbine on my tailgate. I back up my truck to room door. All other is inside locked and loaded. Waiting patiently

Kyskeet

Private
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2017
I have not traveled extensively for long range shooting. However I have traveled extensively shooting skeet all over the country. If I'm in the hotel room so is my guns, if I leave the room so do the guns. The world championship skeet shoot is in San Antonio TX every year, 10 or so years ago vehicle break ins was rampant. The gun club constructed a gun storage building with guards/attendants around the clock. It was a great success, haven't heard of a lost gun sense it was built, I think they charge $5 per night.

mcameron

Old Salt
Belligerents
Nov 17, 2011
If you walk through the hotel lobby with a pelican case or similar no one even has a clue what your walking in with and the ones that might wouldn’t blame you.
whenever our team traveled for NCAA matches....everyone always thought we were a band, not a rifle team.

without fail, every hotel we went into, we were asked what instruments we played.

acudaowner

Old Salt
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
rent an rv then you never have to be parted from your guns at any point in the trip ... only need to use black light one time , in a motel lol use them at your own mental risk . What is seen can not be unseen .

BootMan545

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2018
whenever our team traveled for NCAA matches....everyone always thought we were a band, not a rifle team.

without fail, every hotel we went into, we were asked what instruments we played.
Did you ever respond with something like, “We’re the Creedmoor Brass Band.” Or “The 3-0-8s.” Missed opportunity if not. Lol