• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Overtorqued Badger rings

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
I mounted a new scope today onto new badger steel rings. I didn't realize until too late that the torque spec was 15 in/lbs and not 20. I'm wondering if I potentially caused damage by torquing it this much. I assume there is no point relieving it to 15 since I've already torqued them to 20.

Scope is a Sightron SIII 6-24. I've torqued these to 25 in/lbs before using TPS rings with no issues, but TPS rings are of different design.

Re: Overtorqued Badger rings

if its only 20 its not a big deal. Just go shoot it now.

If you anticipate bumping your rig around a bunch, 20 is recommended. 15 for standard use. I torque mine to 20 in-lbs

You are GTG. When I was younger and did not know any better I remember putting rings on until I could not turn them any further with a allen LOL.

You are fine. I torque mine to 20 in/lbs as the norm.

Alright, that makes me feel a little better. I wouldn't be concerned if I did it to a nightforce, but the Sightrons, being a target scope, have considerably thinner walls.

Just found this thread looking foe specs. Too late. I went to 25. Shouldn't be an issue should it?