• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Overtorquers Anonymous

Been there, cracked my fare share of stocks. Its annoying as hell. Hopefully it wasn't too expensive.

You know how to torque a nut if you have no gauge, dont you.

Tighten til it strips then back off half a turn.

Somehow managed to pull the screw all the way through the top half ring - Burris Signature
I swear it was just getting good and snug!

Sucks, but pretty funny. I remember the days when I used to twist the shit out of the small L shaped torx tool a lot of the cheap rings come with. I have a friend who broke a bunch. Wasn't too long ago that I cut some rings in half for him after he stripped the heads and had a bit broke off and stuck in one. I convinced him to get a torque wrench and told him he would laugh when he felt what 18 inch pounds felt like... And he did, just like I did when I got mine.

Snapped a base screw in a custom action I had owned for less than a week. Puts the pucker factor on the rise.....

You know how to torque a nut if you have no gauge, dont you.

Tighten til it strips then back off half a turn.

A similar version that we used at the motorcycle shop: Tight as she'll go, then one full turn.

I find difficulty going from frame bolts, lug nuts, etc on semi trucks to the more finesse tightening required on rifles.

Need to break down and just get a 1/4 drive little torque wrench or driver. I understand clicks. Clicks are easy!

We've all been there, if not rifles then something else that usually costs more and become a bigger PITA......

Bwa-ha-ha-ha.

I just busted a Burris X-treme ring last week, turned the nut right off of it.

Good news, Burris was excellent to deal with and sent out a new ring to me no charge.

Last winter I learned the hard way that the last idiot to rotate my tires torqued them down to about 250,00 ft/lb. 5 degrees out and I get a flat, couldn't get the tire off with an impact wrench. Had to call a tow truck.

My favorite part is the damage I usually do trying to repair while I'm still pissed off.....I now have a torque wrench...best $150 I ever spent!!

CJW

My favorite part is the damage I usually do trying to repair while I'm still pissed off.....I now have a torque wrench...best $150 I ever spent!!

CJW

Ah, the rage, the complete unreasoning rage. It has cost me more than 'mistakes' ever did. "Break on me, bitch, I'LL SHOW YOU BROKEN" Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

For you guys that do not have a wrench, it won't completely protect you......you have to use it right......As an extreme sufferer I have been to known to turn the wrench past the desired setting....if the specs call for 20 in/lb then 40 or 60 must be better!!

CJW

Man, I'm glad to hear some of these stories...I don't feel like a complete doofus anymore.

A few years ago, I tried to use the torque wrench that came with my LMT to torque the action screws when installing a CZ453 in a Manners stock; there wasn't an index mark for 20 in-lbs so I used my best guess after numerous calculations based on a number of revolutions per in-lb increase on the wrench, and managed to crush the inside of the stock where the rear tang rests.

I bought a Borka the next day.

Ah, the rage, the complete unreasoning rage. It has cost me more than 'mistakes' ever did. "Break on me, bitch, I'LL SHOW YOU BROKEN" Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Haha, I here you. I've gone Incredible Hulk on some things that were minor screw ups that I turned into complete disaster's. It usually starts with, "You mutherfucker!"...and ends with, "good job dumbass, now you need a whole new one."

New S&Bscope....... $3000, New Spuhr mount........ $400, denting your scope because you were too cheap to spend $100 on a torque driver......PRICELESS

And although it wasn't a S&B instead a $300 scope with $25 rings about 12 years ago, the look on my face was priceless.

Attachments

• images (8).jpg
    images (8).jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 15
Shit happens. Just be thankful that it wasn't something really expensive.

A buddy of mine was installing a new set of expensive coil-overs on his car. He mis-read the instructions and confused in-lb for ft-lbs. I felt really bad for him when the rebound adjuster and the first ~1/2" of the shock shaft busted off and went flying across the garage.

You haven't lived untill you twist a spark plug off in a 5.4L F-150.

Without thinking, I grabbed my guitar tuner, not chromatic, and decided to tune my 5 string banjo. The D string snapped before I realized what I was doing. The chromatic tuner is now close by.

I was tightening a badger a scope mount with a torque wrench and heard that terrible tink sound....they sent me a new piece and laughed about me not being the first guy that had done it.

Had a noveske blackout barrel on a side charging upper with an NSR rail. Turns out the gas would kill you suppressed so I changed the upper out. I had already rocksetted the muzzle device so I just torqued the NSR nut enough to find the next hole. I only probably went 30lbs over but still.

I'm guilty but I wasn't going to heat up and remove the muzzle device to flip the NSR nut over. That is all

Snapped a bolt off on the rear end of a truck when replacing speedo sensor.....and I was using a torque wrench...bought every bolt the dealer could find within 200 miles. Then pulled the bed off.

The wife had a coupon and took her jeep to a quick lube place for an oil change. so the next time im in my garage with the jeep for a 30 min oil change with a 6 month old in a play pen down for a nap. drain the oil pan, no problem. filter, tighter than hand tight, oh yeah quick lube changed it last. filter wrench, damn shits tight. next oil filter twists in half. those mother fuckers. baby wakes and is crying. asshole in meat truck drives up.
hey you want to buy some steaks?

no im busy.
he proceeds with the hard line approach. I contemplate shooting him(jokingly)
i tell him to get the hell off my property.
baby still crying.
threaded part of filter had to be chiseled off at a tangent to loosen up.

3 fucking hrs.

never in all of my shade tree mechanic-ing from axle rebuilds while chained to a tree on the side of a mtn in the mud and snow, to head gaskets, clutches, new pistons, brakes, water pumps, manifold studs, never have i experienced a more wanton waste of torque, nor have ever been soo fucking pissed.

fuck you oil change guy/steak peddler

Screwdriver tight. You drive a long screwdriver through it and they come right off.

Screwdriver tight. You drive a long screwdriver through it and they come right off.

I'd say 7 out of 10 times that's how we got them off of old tractors and dozers. Two big screwdrivers crossing each other for the ones being real sunzabiches.

edit to add: I saw a lot of sheared pins, bolts and PTO shafts while working with my dad. He was hell on equipment. RIP pops but damnit man, when in doubt, throttle down and step back.

Last edited:
The wife had a coupon and took her jeep to a quick lube place for an oil change. so the next time im in my garage with the jeep for a 30 min oil change with a 6 month old in a play pen down for a nap. drain the oil pan, no problem. filter, tighter than hand tight, oh yeah quick lube changed it last. filter wrench, damn shits tight. next oil filter twists in half. those mother fuckers. baby wakes and is crying. asshole in meat truck drives up.
hey you want to buy some steaks?

no im busy.
he proceeds with the hard line approach. I contemplate shooting him(jokingly)
i tell him to get the hell off my property.
baby still crying.
threaded part of filter had to be chiseled off at a tangent to loosen up.

3 fucking hrs.

never in all of my shade tree mechanic-ing from axle rebuilds while chained to a tree on the side of a mtn in the mud and snow, to head gaskets, clutches, new pistons, brakes, water pumps, manifold studs, never have i experienced a more wanton waste of torque, nor have ever been soo fucking pissed.

fuck you oil change guy/steak peddler

You ain't much with a Shift key, but dammit boy!, You sure do paint some great visuals with very few words! LMAO!

Lol. You haven't been pissed until you have thrown a rear tine rototiller.

I've never seen that, but we had a burly old truck driver / master level curser of a neighbor who could sling one of those $88 20" push mowers like he was going for the gold in the Summer games.
Our bathroom had a window facing into their backyard, and I was in there taking a dump one day. I was maybe 13 or 14. We didn't have AC, and it was one of those days when you got off the toilet seat you have to push that bitch down to keep it from sticking to your ass.

I heard "brmmmmm........ GODAMMIT!.............brmmmmm sput-pluft.......... YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!!..................brmmmmmmm...chik...chik....prrrft................YOUMOTHERUCKINSUMBTICH!!!!!!!!

I hurried up and finished so I could get to the window and peek out.
Just in time to see him grab that mower by the push handle, and wheel and spin like he was going to throw a discus to the moon.
That thing had to go 20 yards or better, flipped and rolled three times and landed upright.
He stomped over to it, placed his foot on the deck, grabbed the handle, and yanked.
Brrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Purring like a kitten!

I told his kids that story at their old man's funeral. They laughed like Hell.

Last edited: