• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns P226/P220 and XDm 9mm/.45 help shed some light

pattymac2306

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2014
Hello all,

Ok so this is my first post on Snipers Hide so I will probably ask some newbie questions so be gentle.

The dilemma:
So I have recently pursued getting my CHL, on that note i have never owned a pistol although have rifles and shotguns. The next step would be purchasing a handgun or 2. My needs of the weapon are not too demanding. I would like to be able to have a hog defense/home defense/carry gun. I also am willing (wanting) to get 2 handguns. So my dilemma lies with choosing 2 guns that can both be a CCW but also fit my large hands. So I’ve gone to the range a couple times and got a feel for the things I did and didn’t like. I loved the Glock but didn’t like the presence of any sort of alternate safety besides trigger safety. So then i went with the M&P and didn’t really like the feel. I ended up landing on the XDm which I really like. As well as the Sig Sauer P226 and P220, love all the Sigs.

So currently I am deciding between the Sig Sauer P220 and P226 with the XDm 9mm or .45. I tried the 3.8 inch version of the XDM and grip was too short and the extended mag grip pinched me occasionally so that is out. Is the 4.5 inch still CCW material?

The P226 weighs 34.4 oz with magazine that seems really heavy? Is that too heavy for a comfortable carry? Also the XDM is 31oz, is the difference between the two going to be noticeable?

The choices pairs are:
A. XDM .45/Sig P226
B. XDM 9mm/Sig 220
C. XDM 9mm/XDM .45
D. SIG P226/ P220
E. Other Combo

I had more questions but i felt it was getting really long and that i can ask them later down the line.
Any response or suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Thank you,
Pat

Option D, Final Answer.

I carry both using the same CCW holsters both IWB and OWB. Very happy with the fit in my hand and POA is a POI with little sight influence in stressful training exercises..

Attachments

• IMG_3068.JPG
    IMG_3068.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
C

That being being said, id swap out the 9mm for either a xds in 9mm or xds in .45

Why not a Sig 227 and a Sig 229 .40 or 239 .40. Or you could just make up your own mind and go with what you like and not what others say.

The 226 doesn't get heavy at all with the right holster. The supertuck with some holes drilled to drop it down more IWB, makes it really easy to carry and conceal.

Update: Purchased P220 Elite Dark and Plan on getting Xds in 9mm now seeing if i really care about the extra .7 on the 4'' vs 3.3'' Thanks for your input guys!

I would wait and see how the XDS trigger upgrade works out!

Congratulations on your new Sig. Typically the issues with CCW weapons is grip size/length so the extra 1/2" of barrel shouldn't make a difference. Are you wearing IWB or OWB? Where do you wear the gun? What kind of cloths do you like to wear? Is this for summer or winter or both? Typically if one has a larger build/body, they can wear the larger guns better but if you are accustomed to loose fitting shirts, you can get away with something a little bigger depending on where you wear the gun. If you like the 3-4 o'clock position, larger guns can print. If you like more of a 4-5 o'clock position, you'll have better luck with the larger frame.

Since you are just getting into pistols and want to carry, I highly suggest that you take a defensive handgun class. By this I mean something more than what's required to get your permit. Learning to work from a holster and shoot quickly and accurately requires proper technique and practice. I would also suggest that you start by carrying a 9mm. Ammunition is cheaper and will allow you to shoot and practice more to improve your skill sets. Also, 9mm's have less recoil allowing you to learn to manage the gun better and help with learning to make follow-up shots. I'm a firm believer that learning to shoot accurately at speed is much more important than caliber. With the advances made in ammunition, the 9mm is a more than capable.

Hope this helps...Sig Marine