• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

P90X

TexasOutlaw

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
For those who have used the program or know friends/family that have used the program what are your thoughts about it. I'm currently looking to buy P90X due to joining a gym is too expensive and going the crossfit group being way too expensive. I played football and ran track in high school but since then I have lost alot of strength and endurence that I use to have due to a drafting job and college over the years. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Re: P90X

I'm a big fan. I have owned it for years and I have started it several times but this is the first time I will actually finish it. If you are a little out of shape you just need to commit to it every day and do as much as you can. It is like anything in that you will get out of it whatever you put into it. The toughest part is that it is an everyday program. One of the days is stretching but you need to do it most of the time or you won't get the full benefit of the program.

You sound like the type of person that it is geared for b/c you can't/don't want to join a gym. If you don't have free weights get the bands. They are cheap, don't take up any space and give you a great workout.

In the end, if you want to be in better shape it will absolutely do the trick.

Like any program you stick to, you will get results. Be careful though. More than several I know who have done it injured themselves. Getting through injury free seems to be a challenge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchustle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a big fan. I have owned it for years and I have started it several times but this is the first time I will actually finish it. If you are a little out of shape you just need to commit to it every day and do as much as you can. It is like anything in that you will get out of it whatever you put into it. The toughest part is that it is an everyday program. One of the days is stretching but you need to do it most of the time or you won't get the full benefit of the program.

You sound like the type of person that it is geared for b/c you can't/don't want to join a gym. If you don't have free weights get the bands. They are cheap, don't take up any space and give you a great workout.

In the end, if you want to be in better shape it will absolutely do the trick. </div></div>

Well I won't be the only one doing P90X my buddy and both of our girlfriends will be doing the whole thing together. We have set up his small garage into our own gym and have enough weights between the both of us to get a good benefit from it and built a pull up bar. While the women folk get the bands which we will probably use also.

Reinman, I gotcha...yeah we plan on doing all the warmups and stretches/cooldowns afterwards to try and prevent any injury hopefully this will help alot. I know with my previous experience in track that was key. Lol running 400 meters as fast as you can with a pulled hamstring taught me only to take the time to stretch ALOT.

Really focus on the stretching and yoga if you want to stay injury free. Also, for at least the first couple of weeks I would use lighter weights and do 12-15 reps as well as using the bands instead of pull ups. Working out with women around is going to make all of the guys want to go bigger, but if you don't train the small muscles first you are asking for a big problem. Even though you aren't working out the same muscles every day, there are a lot of compound exercises that will sneak up on you if you don't ease your way into it.

LOL funny you mention that...I'm plumb wore out from the first workout pushed myself a little to much but definately taking it a few notches down intill I get use to things. God it sucks being outta shape.

I've done P90X multiple times over the last five years. It's a great program, but you have to commit to the schedule & watch your eating/diet to see the full results. After going through it so many times, I have gotten pretty burned out on it. Thus, I recently got the Insanity program. I'm on my second time through it & it is a definite step up from P90X. I really like that I don't have to use any weights of a chin up bar for this series - lets me do my workout wherever I am.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ironman23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've done P90X multiple times over the last five years. It's a great program, but you have to commit to the schedule & watch your eating/diet to see the full results. After going through it so many times, I have gotten pretty burned out on it. Thus, I recently got the Insanity program. I'm on my second time through it & it is a definite step up from P90X. I really like that I don't have to use any weights of a chin up bar for this series - lets me do my workout wherever I am. </div></div>

I also looked at Insanity might be something to look into getting after I get burned out on P90X. Altho once my shop gets built I plan on building a workout area of my own for more of a heavy weight lifting. So it might be good to have in the collection.

Will it still get you in shape if you don't follow the eating program? I'm not worried about being completely cut. I just would like to get in better shape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will it still get you in shape if you don't follow the eating program? I'm not worried about being completely cut. I just would like to get in better shape. </div></div>

Yes it will. As long as your not eating way more than you should be. The results wont be as drastic as if you follow the plan including the meal plan.

If you do the workout programs without following the eating part of it, you still are getting in great workouts. You will get stronger & really up your cardio capacity, you just won't get ripped.

I've done both P90x and P90x2. Here's the scoop- P90X is a great program (I needed it to get durable-stuff started to ache, not to get into race shape). With a reasonable family diet I lost about 2-3 inches in the waist, though didn't loose much weight. I stuck to the 10-12 reps. BTW- I found that I get sick in the chest/back series, you can push your limits to purge. Just keep a bucket in the garage.

After a number of times through I upped to the 8-10 rep program, which was good for some growth and strength.

Then on to P90X2- really different, but I like it. It's more performance based, not lifting based. A LOT of balance while moving/lifting, a lot of joint muscle building/maintenance. I sweat like a freakin' pig when I do PAP workouts. I think I'll start over with it (I'm almost done with one series).

On all of these, once you get going you can make the series do what you want. Want more cardio and less upper body, move some workouts in/out. If you go all out with the diet it'll show more than without, but in any case you'll get into good shape. I've started doing some racing (obstacle courses, road races, etc.) to test myself once in a while and am finding that I'm holding up well. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: King Arthurs Court</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've done both P90x and P90x2. Here's the scoop- P90X is a great program (I needed it to get durable-stuff started to ache, not to get into race shape). With a reasonable family diet I lost about 2-3 inches in the waist, though didn't loose much weight. I stuck to the 10-12 reps. BTW- I found that I get sick in the chest/back series, you can push your limits to purge. Just keep a bucket in the garage.

After a number of times through I upped to the 8-10 rep program, which was good for some growth and strength.

Then on to P90X2- really different, but I like it. It's more performance based, not lifting based. A LOT of balance while moving/lifting, a lot of joint muscle building/maintenance. I sweat like a freakin' pig when I do PAP workouts. I think I'll start over with it (I'm almost done with one series).

On all of these, once you get going you can make the series do what you want. Want more cardio and less upper body, move some workouts in/out. If you go all out with the diet it'll show more than without, but in any case you'll get into good shape. I've started doing some racing (obstacle courses, road races, etc.) to test myself once in a while and am finding that I'm holding up well. Good luck. </div></div>

That is some good info there. How strong do y'all feel after completing the full program and is it a everyday useful type of strength.

Had a female friend that works from home quit P90X after 3 weeks. Said it didn't have anything to do with the work outs...but she didn't like being in her house all the time. Said she would rather go to the gym to interact with people.

She wasn't impressed when I pointed out that it was just another excuse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DEATHFROMAFARxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: King Arthurs Court</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've done both P90x and P90x2. Here's the scoop- P90X is a great program (I needed it to get durable-stuff started to ache, not to get into race shape). With a reasonable family diet I lost about 2-3 inches in the waist, though didn't loose much weight. I stuck to the 10-12 reps. BTW- I found that I get sick in the chest/back series, you can push your limits to purge. Just keep a bucket in the garage.

On all of these, once you get going you can make the series do what you want. Want more cardio and less upper body, move some workouts in/out. If you go all out with the diet it'll show more than without, but in any case you'll get into good shape. I've started doing some racing (obstacle courses, road races, etc.) to test myself once in a while and am finding that I'm holding up well. Good luck. </div></div>

That is some good info there. How strong do y'all feel after completing the full program and is it a everyday useful type of strength. </div></div>

I'm a couple of weeks from completing the program, but I can tell you that I feel a lot stronger and I do feel like it is everyday strength because it is a total body workout. When I started the program my cardio was horrible and I couldn't do any pullups. I decided to only use the bands for the first go around but I have tried doing pullups and I can do 4 or 5 of each of them now. Considering I didn't really do the leg workouts for the first several weeks while I was trying to straighten out a knee issue I had, I have noticed big increases in my cardio strength as well.

I actually think that I probably ended up being a lot stronger than I look after completing the first go around. Mostly because I had to get into shape for the first month just so that I could try to push myself and see big muscle gains.

I'm looking forward to the next go around. I will do pullups instead of bands and I will push heavier weights during the rest of the workouts.

Yeah I'm the exact opposite with the gym I don't need interaction and I hate having to wait for others to do their workout. I'm the type of person that I want to get in there workout and leave.

That's good to hear I can do about 10 Pull ups myself so I think for phase one I'll work with the bands to build up and get use to the program.

Another question. What exercises do you do to maintain your shape? Do you just start the program over again?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question. What exercises do you do to maintain your shape? Do you just start the program over again? </div></div>

Well I'm just literly 3 days into P90X but there are 3 differnt types of training methods...Classic (Everything), Doubles (More of an endurence training), Lean (Lots Cardio) atleast thats what I understood it to be correct me if I'm wrong. I'm doing classic right now and when I finish I'll probably do something like this....Phase 1 Doubles, Phase 2 Lean, Phase 3 Classic....I don't know yet tho because thats far ahead of me and I just want to take it a day at a time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a female friend that works from home quit P90X after 3 weeks. Said it didn't have anything to do with the work outs...but she didn't like being in her house all the time. Said she would rather go to the gym to interact with people.

She wasn't impressed when I pointed out that it was just another excuse. </div></div>

I like it for just that reason, I can work out from my house with out much for equipment and not have to go the gym.

Yes, I find that the workouts have made me more durable. I've done some obstacle racing and found that I'm holding my own- eventhough I don't get out to run.

As I'm in my 40's I do notice that I tweak muscles occasionally, so there is the occasional pain and adjustment. That being said I think I repair a lot quicker with the workouts.

All in all I think it shows in my daily life- less workplace aching, better flexibility, better energy.

I am on day 3 of P90X myself. I did Power 90 (basically a trainer for P90X) about a year and a half ago because I was really out of shape, 305 pounds. On power 90 I dropped down to 255ish and felt great and then just let it ride till now. Well I found about 15 pounds of that weight, back up to 270 (230 is my current goal), so I decided to have at it again but Power 90 was just seriously kinda boring. I bit the bullet and ordered the P90X program and I must say that I am enjoying it VERY much. I know some say Tony's personality is dumb or annoying on the videos but I don't mind it at all. A few of the P90X moves are similar to the Power 90 moves so that helps out a lot. I am starting out the same way I did with Power 90, go slow and learn the moves and get your body use to it and then start going harder and harder till you reach your goals. I know a few people that complain it is way too hard but they also put the first video in and try to keep up with the pros and end up not being able to move the next day. I try to go hard enough to feel some soreness but not to the point where I don't want to move all day, I work in the oilfield so that wouldn't be good. And to all of those who say they don't have the time, I work around 12-18 hours a day 6-7 days a week so if I can find time so can you. Oh and on the P90X eating plan, I am actually finding it kinda hard. By the formula I should be level 3 because of my weight but I bumped it back to level 2 to help cut fat BUT I am actually finding it hard to eat as much as they say every day. I eat a good breakfast, snack, lunch, recovery drink (after work out), and dinner and I am still 400-600 calories shy of the 2400 mark. Basically I am saying you don't have to worry about starving yourself on their plan and the meal guide is full of recipes that taste great.

Ok enough of the long winded stuff (sorry just finished working out and still full of energy) if you are thinking about dong P90X just get it and stick with it and you will be pleased.

it works. but to be honest, the reason it works is because it is a designed plan that keeps you a little accountable. you could do all kinds of lifting/running/eating plans and do just as well if you just stick to it. p90x just makes it easier to stick to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reinman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like any program you stick to, you will get results. Be careful though. More than several I know who have done it injured themselves. Getting through injury free seems to be a challenge.</div></div>

I agree. I did nearly the whole routine without injury, but a month after I threw my back out. About 3 months later I developed shoulder pain that won't go away and the after that, my left knee that I sprained really bad 15 years ago started hurting again.

I think the repetitive jarring of my joints finally caught up with me.

P.S. turning 40 sucks!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veezer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reinman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like any program you stick to, you will get results. Be careful though. More than several I know who have done it injured themselves. Getting through injury free seems to be a challenge.</div></div>

I agree. I did nearly the whole routine without injury, but a month after I threw my back out. About 3 months later I developed shoulder pain that won't go away and the after that, my left knee that I sprained really bad 15 years ago started hurting again.

I think the repetitive jarring of my joints finally caught up with me.

P.S. turning 40 sucks!! </div></div>

I finished injury free even though I started with serious knee pain. I took the leg stuff easy and got the knee fixed up. I think the reason that a lot of people get injured is because A) they were out of shape and this was their first attempt at getting back into shape which can go bad in a hurry if you push too hard and don't focus on flexibility B) Since it is only 90 days people try to push to hard to get maximum results and they don't listen to their bodies.

I have moved on to insanity and I am going to do a blend of the two when I am done.

Last summer I made it 3 weeks into P90X and then got smoked by a guy who blew a stop sign while I was on a moped. Needless to say I had to hang it up for a bit. After sitting around and feeling shitty about myself all winter I wanted to change it. Our PD built a new station and added in an exercise room. Some simple work out machines and a full set of dumbells. 2-80lbs. Another co-worker and myself decided to put this work out room to use since nobody else cared to use it. We both work third shift so it worked out great. I can tell you that having another person doing it alongside you really makes you push it hard everyday and you can keep each other motivated. I love this program and look forward to doing it everyday. We are 8 weeks into it and man I can really feel and see the changes this progarm has made to my body. I don't follow the diet plan but I have been watching what I eat and eat a lot more healthy stuff. I gave up drinking soda and take pre cooked meals with me to work everynight instead of going through the drive-thru. I also include 2-3 protein shakes a day.

I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel as we are over half way done with the program. All the other guys at work always stop into the workout room and comment on how dedicated and crazy we are for putting in the time everyday. We have modified the program and only go mon-fri, we took out the yoga dvd which I just don't have the patience for...

The only real advice I can give is DO NOT EAT before doing Plyometrics and it may be a good idea to keep a bucket near by.

I will chime back in with some final results after I completed it. We are already talking about moving to try Insanity after we finish up P90X.

Just like everyone else is saying, P90X is a great program if you stick to it. I was a huge fan of it during my last deployment, when I had the time in the morning to burn 1.5+ hours at the gym EVERY morning. If time is an issue you may look into Insanity too. The phase I workouts are about 10 minutes shorter, and in my opinion will leave you more smoked then even P90X. I've held onto the Ab Ripper as an excellent 15 minute ab workout, but finding the time to dedicate 1:45 for a yoga session and Ab Ripper became tough when I got home.

That said, it's still a great program that you can "ease" into if you're not starting out in great shape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eSKay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just like everyone else is saying, P90X is a great program if you stick to it.... </div></div>

Pretty much goes for any workout routine, you only get out what you put in. It is about MAKING time and dedication no matter what routine you want to do. P90X is the most well rounded total fitness program i've seen for strength, cardio and flexability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question. What exercises do you do to maintain your shape? Do you just start the program over again? </div></div>

There is a plan provided for maintaining yourself after the 90 days is over. There is also a plan for upping the ante in a second 90 day run through . . . two-a-days with cardio and weight. Both seem to work pretty well.

The nice thing about P90x is that after a couple run throughs, you pretty much have it memorized; you can maintain yourself by simply working out at your own pace (after two 90 day runs I began to feel as if the breaks and pauses were too frequent and too long).

I found I over did things often trying to keep up with the pace of the videos and I really pushed myself to the breaking point on 4 occasions, causing pulled muscles. compound that with severe seasonal allergies and it just about killed me. I'm sure part of it is my mentality from military service, and the other part is my age.

moral of the story take your time and work into it, the first time you do the program don't rush trying to keep up with the program, there is a pause button for a reason, also don't try to max out till you just about collapse. its easy to fall into that trap and then your not doing yourself any benefit.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread. I need help from you guys that have done P90x. I am on my second run. I am not getting the results I expected. I am in good shape now. I guess my problem is not following the diet plan. Any tips? How the hell do I follow the diet plan? Do I have to eat what they suggest on the weekly plan the way they have it or can I make my own with what I like? Any help is appreciated.

I have been at it again with P90X. 6 days a week since Jan1 2013. I am now on my second full run through the program. Again, I cut out the yoga and swap the kempo and plyometrics every other week for some Insanity. What a game changer this program has done for me. As far as the dieting/eating goes, I have never followed the diet book that comes with the program. The only fast food I eat is Subway about once a week. I switched to whole wheat bread products and get most other things with the reduced fat option etc... No soda, lots of water all day long with some protein shakes. I try to eat smaller serving meals 4-5 times a day and really uped my fruit intake. Whenever I get a sweet tooth I will have and oragne, apple, or bananna to hold me over. It can be done with drastic results even if you dont follow the diet program with P90X. I also have started to take kickboxing and brazilian jiu jitsu 3 days a week and and my cardio is getting amazing and I am accelerating very quickly in those classes thanks to my pre conditioning I have gained from P90X.

Another thing I forgot to add is that I have pretty much cut out the booze and or beer. If you go out sucking sauce every weekend that can really kill your motivation the next day when you feel like shit. I have only had a few beers going out for a few one night after dinner since I started P90X and didn't drink to the level of shitfaced. Also, I have recently swiched to cooking turkey burgers on the grill and eating tuna salad with some light mayo and try to order salmon or tilapia when I go out to eat for dinner over a sloppy burger or steak.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread. I need help from you guys that have done P90x. I am on my second run. I am not getting the results I expected. I am in good shape now. I guess my problem is not following the diet plan. Any tips? How the hell do I follow the diet plan? Do I have to eat what they suggest on the weekly plan the way they have it or can I make my own with what I like? Any help is appreciated.

As the previous poster suggested, a good diet is really important to achieve the best results. You don't need to follow the P90x plan, but a plan of some sort is a must in my opinion. I have had very good luck with the Men's Health Belly Off diet plan from several years ago; you should be able to find something suitable for yourself (expenses, like/dislikes, preparation time, etc) with some Googling. As the previous poster also said, and I think it's important to stress this, alcohol really messes things up . . . at least for me. I am not a one beer or shot sort of guy, so I had to cut it out completely in order to get in the type of shape I wanted to. You may have a more moderate temperament than I, however.

Finally, start doing more than the regular run through. Do the two a days, now that you're in P90x shape, or take up running on non-leg days (I did this and it seemed to help a lot with toning everything up).

Good luck.

Does the P90X program require a lot of equipment or is it all body weight exercises? I have been interested but don't have the extra space for weights and bars.

You mainly use body weight. You will need a pull up bar and some dumbells or bands, an exercise mat and that's about it.

Thanks, I didn't really want to shell out the money for something that would not work for my situation. I think I'm going to give it a go. I've always been in pretty good shape but the gut is starting to get out of control. Freaking 40's.

I've done P90X a couple times as well as X2 and some other Beachbody programs. Diet will be key. And don't be afraid to modify a move if you can't do it all the way. You will get better. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the programs or what diet(s) I did. The first time through I lost 20 pounds and 12% body fat.

Last edited:
How did you like P90x compared to Insanity? I heard that Insanity doesn't require any weights at all. Not sure which program is more effective though.