• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Pack Recommendation For 4 day hike/hunt

colby1979

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2006
Fort Davis, Texas
Hey Guys, as part of a 10 day bear hunting trip in Idaho I'll be taking a 4 maybe 5 day hike with my friend (who owns an outfitter service and needs to mark some trails) in search of a wolf and to do a little fishing. What I'm looking for is a good pack that is light weight and has a capacity of at least 2000ci and the ability to strap gear on externally. I own a Eberlestock gunrunner and really enjoy the hands free rifle carry but need a pack with larger capacity. I also have a SpecOps T.H.E which has tons of space but isn't very comfortable with more than 30 lbs and it doesn't have provisions for carrying a rifle. What I'm currently looking at is the Eberlestock gunslinger, not the gunslinger II but the original as it weighs a couple pounds less. I plan to take the minimalist approach and will not need to carry gallons of water as we will eb paralleling a couple small streams. I will be packing a Rem Mod 7 in .223 that weighs around 7.5 lbs loaded with scope, my sleeping gear will weigh in around 8 lbs and I figure about another 15lbs for other gear and food. So my questions is, do ya'll recommend the Gunslinger or are there some other options I should look into?

Thank You,
Colby

Last edited:
One of the Mystery Ranch packs with a NICE frame. I know they're not cheap but they're bomb proof and oh so comfortable when you start putting down some miles.

8 pounds for sleeping gear can get cut down if you want to try hammock camping. Once I started I never get in a tent unless there's no alternative....and really a hot chick is the only alternative.

Roger that on the hot chick! Hell, I would just get a room and skip the hunt....

Wow, those Mystery Ranch packs are awesome but out of my price range at this time, maybe next year. I'm trying to stay under 200, already spent too much prepping for this trip.

After putting the numbers together I'm at 12oz or the pad, 2lb 10oz for the tent and 3lbs for the bag which brings the total to about 6lbs 6oz which aint too bad. I'll look into the hammock thing, hadn't thought about that.

Yeah MR is very proud of themselves, but IMO definitely worth saving for in the future.

As for the hammock thing, if it's not too cold the weight savings are HUGE (my hammock of choice is 6 oz). Add an underquilt and top quilt and you're still lighter, but the weight savings aren't quite as drastic. However, a good pad like a Thermarest or Klymit (mine is 6.1 oz) can take the place of an underquilt if it's just a little mild. Even adding a tarp and/or bug net you still come out ahead. My whole setup fits in a Jacks 'R' Better small speed sack, and a medium will hold the same plus my underquilt. It's so fast to set up I'm usually asleep before anyone else even has their tent put together.

You can run any pack you think is comfortable and strap the gun to the side. I usually place the butt in the side pocket and put the rest of the rifle under the side compressions straps for long-hauls where it is unlikely I'll need to get the rifle quickly. Internally you just put heavier stuff on the opposite side to balanced it out so the pack rides straight. There is no need for a pack with built in rifle carrier, etc.

If you want the gun accessible, then try a Kifaru Gun Bearer. I have used one for many miles of carrying a rifle on very steep climbs in alpine country, etc. and it holds the rifle well, keeps it accessible and is light weight. You can put it on any pack with a decent hip belt and shoulder strap.

Don't forget your food weight as well. Figure 1-2lbs a day. Plus your ammo, optics, etc. Pack weight even for a short hunt can exceed 30-40lbs. quickly if you also plan for cold weather conditions, etc..

This doesn't sound like a concern in your case right now, but of course if you get an animal and need to pack out the meat you can easily add 50-100% of the weight to the pack. So think about that also in terms of space for carrying out the animal meat if you get something you want to take with you. My last hunt we went in with packs near 40lbs. to sustain multi-day hunting and then packed out another 30lbs of meat each. The pack needs to be able to handle that kind of weight for hunting. IMO.

Last edited:
Hit up ceylon here on the hide, he is an eberlestock dealer and hide sponser and is fantastic to deal with and will answer all your questions.I own a gunslinger2 and would only use it for a 1 or 2 day hike /hunt any longer than that and you will need to either attach side pouches or get the operator.The eberlestock are great quality gear though and well thought out.Here is what Id fit in for a 1 day hike to the hills for some lr shooting(might give you an idea of what can fit) I get more ammo tha is in the pic and a few extra wee bits .
mrs3eg.jpg

f3t3zd.jpg

Last edited:
For multi days with the chance of adding extra weight, i like the older Gregory packs or the Dana Designs (same guy who owns MR). Keeps me from buying a new expensive pack. If I was buying a new hunting pack I would look at MR with a NICE frame or possibly the Eberlestock V69 (IIRC).
I like a LW setup but also like to be comfortable after a long day humping in the hills all day.
Enjoy your hunt, it sounds like a good time.

Kuiu maybe? I don't own one but have been looking at them heavy for the past little while but can't find a ton of info on them. Their clothes seems to be awesome from reviewers and their packs are pretty cheap once you have the frame. The icon or ultra frames are bought with a pack but then you can buy the other packs as just the bag and install it on the frame. Similar to how the NICE frame is from MR, but the bags look to be less expensive. Kuiu does offer less options and I know someone here uses a NICE frame as a vest for competitions

Packs | KUIU Ultralight Hunting

Those KUIU are awesome, I think the modular design would definitely be a bonus. Too bad there so pricey like the MR. I keep coming back to the gunslinger though, from what my friend says about the wolfs you really need to be quick to shoot as they are generally moving when you see them and present a very limited shot opportunity. I can deploy a rifle from my gunrunner pretty quick which is why I'm leaning to another Eberlestock.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, there are so many nice packs and options out there I'm starting to feel dizzy....

I'll second talking to Ceylon - he set me up with an Eberlestock Team Elk pack that was awesome. He'll have something that is perfect for your 4-5 day hunt.

Although it sounds like it is out of budget, if you do consider a purchase down the road, I think you should consider Kifaru. Lots of flexibility with configuration and a very lightweight option now is available. I have the EM and I can comfortably carry 75 pounds which is about half my body weight with the suspension system. I see it lasting for many years and consider it to be an investment in adventure

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Those KUIU are awesome, I think the modular design would definitely be a bonus. Too bad there so pricey like the MR. I keep coming back to the gunslinger though, from what my friend says about the wolfs you really need to be quick to shoot as they are generally moving when you see them and present a very limited shot opportunity. I can deploy a rifle from my gunrunner pretty quick which is why I'm leaning to another Eberlestock.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, there are so many nice packs and options out there I'm starting to feel dizzy....

Although it sounds like it is out of budget, if you do consider a purchase down the road, I think you should consider Kifaru. Lots of flexibility with configuration and a very lightweight option now is available. I have the EMR and I can comfortably carry 75 pounds which is about half my body weight with the suspension system. I see it lasting for many years and consider it to be an investment in adventure. There are lighter options in the hunting line

I'm a big Kifaru fan, you can get a pack that will haul anything at around 4 lbs, with the capacity you need. They are expensive like MR, but well worth it.

If you are expecting to have to access the gun quickly to get a shot off, you don't want to be carrying it in a backpack, period. In that case, your options open up to virtually any backpack on the market.

My personal favorites for actual camping use are by Gossamer Gear and ULA. The Gorilla (GG) hereand the OHM 2.0 hereand Catalyst (ULA) are all nice, super lightweight packs, that will carry a solid amount of gear. The ULA ones are even available in woodland and multicam, albeit a little heavier.

If you have a good sling like a TAB Gear and carry the gun across your chest it's fairly hands free.

ETA: Found a video comparing the exact 2 packs I listed. And Shug is entertaining, especially a beer or two deep. ULA OHM vs Gossamer Gear Gorilla comparison

Last edited: