• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations on a pack for PRS and hunting

bllistc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
This will primarily be used as a day pack for matches, hiking, coyote or whitetail hunting. I'd like to be able to strap a bolt gun or an AR and tripod to the outside with at least 2500 CI in the pack. I'd like to keep it around $350 if possible. My short list so far:

Mystery ranch metcalf
Mystery ranch sawtooth 45
Sitka Mountain 2700 with kifaru gun bearer (can't find many on this one and its only rated to 45lbs so I'm a bit iffy on it)
Eberlestock G4 operator

Anybody have experience with these or have any additional recommendations?

I don’t have any experience with those particular models but I do have experience with mystery ranch and eberlestock. I wasn’t a fan of eberlestock frame I had the terminator. 3 day AA with a m82 .50 in it was miserable. Aluminum frame flexed to much, much larger then what you want. I understand they changed the frame design so there stuff may be better. Iv had a mr 3 day assault since 2012 and I fucking love it. But from my first hand experience if it’s not a dedicated weapon pack strapping a rifle to the side will become annoying after a while. Weight distribution is key few miles in and the pack leaning towards the firearm side gets real fucking annoying.

Reactions: Keith E.
the G4 operator is MASSIVE and way too heavy. just all around not a good pack unless you need tons of space/organization and only go from the truck to the bench at the range

between your options i'd pick the MR options. but i'd rather a kuiu 2300 or kifaru hellbender

I really love my Kifaru 22mag for PRS shoots and hunting. It's been ideal for me though may be outside your stated budget. For the bigger hunts, I just change the pack off the frame to a larger one. Adaptable for my needs. Started with an Eberlestock but quickly sold it as the design/layout just didn't work for me.

I have had a few Mystery Ranch packs (for Elk and their meat hauling capabilities), but if I'm not packing out 1000lbs of Elk I love my Vorn above all else. Pretty sure it's not sub $300.

Super comfortable, holds your rifle more solidly than anything else out there, AND deploys as fast as the gun bearer. I have to say though, I've never seen another one in the wild.

MR sawtooth should work well. I have a beartooth I’ve used for PRS matches, but a pack that big isn’t necessary. Pretty easy to strap a rifle to the outside of the pack. I wouldn’t put a PRS weight rifle out there, but normal hunting rifles are fine

Reactions: bllistc
I have had a few Mystery Ranch packs (for Elk and their meat hauling capabilities), but if I'm not packing out 1000lbs of Elk I love my Vorn above all else. Pretty sure it's not sub $300.

Super comfortable, holds your rifle more solidly than anything else out there, AND deploys as fast as the gun bearer. I have to say though, I've never seen another one in the wild.

I was looking at those too but couldn’t find any place that sells them or had them in stock. Where did you get yours?

I ordered mine from somewhere. Been a couple of years. I’m not coming up with anything googlefu.
they don't show a single USA dealer on their website anymore. not sure why they don't have a market here

Went ahead and ordered a mystery ranch sawtooth 45. Thanks for the feedback guys

You won't go wrong with that. They make great packs.

#1 FAQ

Are Vorn hunting backpacks available in the United States?​

Unfortunately, we do not currently have dealers in the United States. However, there are several European resellers that can ship goods to the United States.

You can probably order from a Canadian dealer, which may be what I did.

Reactions: bllistc
Went ahead and ordered a mystery ranch sawtooth 45. Thanks for the feedback guys
Good choice. I use a Metcalf as my winter ruck at work and love it. I emphasize winter because that's where it excels, VOLUME. Way too much volume that I want for a match or anything but a back county hunt.
The Sawtooth has the same super-comfy frame system and less volume, it should serve you well.

This will primarily be used as a day pack for matches, hiking, coyote or whitetail hunting. I'd like to be able to strap a bolt gun or an AR and tripod to the outside with at least 2500 CI in the pack. I'd like to keep it around $350 if possible. My short list so far:

Mystery ranch metcalf
Mystery ranch sawtooth 45
Sitka Mountain 2700 with kifaru gun bearer (can't find many on this one and its only rated to 45lbs so I'm a bit iffy on it)
Eberlestock G4 operator

Anybody have experience with these or have any additional recommendations?
Dvor.com (optics planet private site) has that G4 operator for $350 right now. If that's the one you want that's a pretty good price on it.

Oh, I see you got the sawtooth. Oh well,

Dvor.com (optics planet private site) has that G4 operator for $350 right now. If that's the one you want that's a pretty good price on it.

Oh, I see you got the sawtooth. Oh well,
Yea that one was on my list. It looks really good and I really like the scabbard but I think it would be too big for my purposes.

Kifaru 357 Mag. Made in USA. VERY popular PRS pack, Internal frame so it will be a bit lighter, can still haul a ton of shit.

Built like a brick shithouse and not imported crap like Eberlestock and MR.

I have owned like 50 packs over the years between military, civy, prs, ect and the only ones worth buying are Kifaru, Stone Glacier and EXO. Spending $400 once is much cheaper than spending $200 5 times.

Im really liking my Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. Maybe a little big for matches but is nice to be able to stuff everything in it and put rifle and tripod on for the long walks between stages. Big opening is nice to get to your gear. Picked mine up at Schneels for $360.00 last month. Great buy.