• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pack / rifle carrier for big guys

memilanuk

F'ing nuke
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2002
    East Wenatchee WA
    So... went to a match this past weekend, and had a blast. Hadn't been to one in years, and boy have they changed. Lots of stuff I need to work on between now and next time, but one thing that was made clear... I was fairly uncomfortable much of the time hauling my gun and pack around. The pack is a Kelty Redwing II, which I had spent a fair amount of time researching back when. At the time, it hit a combination of price point and being big/long enough to fit a tall person (6' 4" +) with a long upper torso.

Carrying the pack on my back and the rifle (way too heavy, needs to go on a diet for this kind of match!) slung muzzle down across my chest was the best of a variety of bad options, but at the end of the weekend it pretty much sucked.

I was eyeballing all the people toting their guns and gear in Eberlestock packs (seemed like at least 50%, maybe as high as 75%)... until later talking with a friend who pretty much lives in a pack and took a look at how his Gunslinger fit on me. Even with the adjustments all the way out, it was way too short. Still felt better than what I had been using, but it seems like a lot of $$$ to throw at a solution knowing its not really going to fit right.

What other options are out there for those of us who don't fall under the category of 'average' size n shape? Kifaru Nomad + Gun Scabbard? Some other pack + a Kifaru Gun Bearer? Something else entirely?

Contact Ceylon at delta outdoorsman and speak to him. That man knows his packs inside and out. He will get you set up and take good care of you.

I'll have to do that.

In the interim, I got a response back from Eberlestock way faster than I'd expected. Sounds like the Gunslinger I & II, Half-track, Phantom, etc. are considered mid-sized packs, and max out at about 20" torso length. The bigger packs such as the Operator, Terminator, Destroyer - and the Dragonfly and Blue Widow - are considered 'large' packs and should go up to 23" torso length... which makes sense, as I was browsing around a local store today that carries some Eberlestock packs and started mucking about with the adjustments and it seemed to fit pretty well - definitely way better than the Gunslinger that I tried on did. Turns out the one in the store was a Dragonfly J107H (pretty sure I would need the J107M).

Still interested in other options such as the Nomad, gun scabbard, gun bearer, etc. if anyone has experience with them and the heavy/bulky rifles we seem to use a lot in this venue. I was kind of shocked last night when I went down and weighed my 'little' gun - a Savage 10PC-SR, basically a 20" .308 in a skinny Accu-Stock with a Weaver 3-15x50mm tactical on it... right at 12 lbs without bipod. Way better than the pig I was hauling around last weekend - a 12 LRP with a Vortex Razor 5-20x HD, McRee Gen5 TMag folder, 26" heavy barrel, Atlas bipod, 9" Gemtech Sandstorm Ti can... more like 19.3lbs. Not doing that again anytime soon if i can help it!

I use a nomad, both with a center mounted gun bearer, and with their sniper rifle scabbard. The sniper riffle scabbard doubles as a nice range bag/carrying case when not on a pack. The nomad plus gun bearer will out carry most all packs in terms of total load and weigh less, but are more expensive.

The sniper rifle scabbard was developed around a 26" AI with a can. It folds back on itself when you have shorter rifles, and you can leave the top open to let a can cool off.

When you say 'center mounted gun bearer'... I take it you mean the one that hangs down the middle of the back, with the gun trapped under the wings (or whatever else you pack in between them)? I think I saw that in one of their videos... looked pretty secure - the gun definitely wasn't going anywhere. Does the rifle scabbard strap / snap in? I think I've only seen one pic of that setup so I'm a little less clear on the ins-n-outs of that one.

I take it the Kifaru Nomad is long enough for someone tall? I don't think I've seen anything about whether they are made for 'long' torsos or not.

I'm 6'4" and had the same problems with the gunslinger packs

When you say 'center mounted gun bearer'... I take it you mean the one that hangs down the middle of the back, with the gun trapped under the wings (or whatever else you pack in between them)? I think I saw that in one of their videos... looked pretty secure - the gun definitely wasn't going anywhere. Does the rifle scabbard strap / snap in? I think I've only seen one pic of that setup so I'm a little less clear on the ins-n-outs of that one.

I take it the Kifaru Nomad is long enough for someone tall? I don't think I've seen anything about whether they are made for 'long' torsos or not.

Yes, 'center mounted' is the gun bearer on the back. You can also use the gun bearers on the waist belt/up front for quick access hunting. It's super secure.

The scabbard attached to adjustable points in the 'nomad' cargo bay, so you can raise/lower it. Both the scabbard and the gun bearer adjust so you can lower the entire assembly/gun to get the muzzle down to head height for bushwhacking under low trees, or raise it up to the bottom of the frame/your butt so you can sit down/ride a horse/ride a bike.

The Nomad attaches to one of their frames, so you can buy the frame in a size that matches your torso and with stays that match your back profile (plus carbon or aluminum). They have a couple of different frames depending on size/shape/cost desires.

Okay, I am probably going to get some scoffs at this because of some of the general comments about the brand, but here it goes.

I have a Voodoo Praetorian that has really worked well for me. I am a big guy too and though I don't use it for matches, I do use it for a lot of backwoods hiking/hunting and such. Moreover I am not very nice to it. That is to say, I do not baby my equipment. Typically I run about 35 pounds of food, water and assorted equipment as well as a 700 with a B&C stock and Harris Bipod that goes just shy of 15 pounds for a day trip. It holds my rifle and gear very securely and has enough padding to make things tolerable for my old legs (I am 52) and fat ass. Thus far it has held up to my abuse and the Ozarks pretty well. I won mine in a contest/drawing, but typically they run around $150.

Take your standard hiking pack and lash the rifle to the left or right side. Inside your pack, just pack the heavier stuff on the opposite side and it will balance out. This is how I carry my rifle now for long distances for maximum comfort. This will likely be more comfortable than trying to fit your torso into a smaller pack.

Or you can just buy a Kifaru Gun Bearer for ~$40 and use your existing pack. It's a good piece of gear and gives you quick access to your rifle and weighs almost nothing. I've walked a lot of miles with my rifle in a Gun Bearer and really like it. For a lighter rifle it's killer, but a heavier one it may want to sag as it pulls on the hip belt.

As for your heavy rifle, yep I agree that they keep getting heavier and it adds little value to the shooter. I've come to start calling the the heavier ones "Tactical Benchrest."

Last edited:
    Im 5'9" and I kind of feel the GSII is made to fit the people building them not the people using them.

I'm also a taller guy at 6'3". If I were you I would get the Kifaru pack that fits your size and weight carrying needs the best, and then I would just add a rifle carrying method to that pack. The Kifaru pack I have is so good in terms of quality, ergonomics, and comfort that I find it hard to consider something from a different manufacturer just because it has an integral scabbard.

I have carried a 10lb rifle for many miles on hunts using the Kifaru gunbearer and while it works that is probably the heaviest I would like to carry by that method. I am also looking at strapping on one of the Eberlestock rifle scabbards to the rear of the pack using the molle and compression straps for longer hikes where I don't need instant access to the rifle: Eberlestock: Side Scabbard, Bolt Sniper Rifle

I agree, I wouldn't go much above 10 lbs on a gunbearer mounted on the waist belt. I have however carried several different 15lb+ rifles on the nomad center/back gunbearer, and you will feel like a lycra wearing biathlon skier with the weight centered on your back and close to you. I went 75 miles this weekend with a benelli M2 and an AR in the nomad. Super comfortable.

How easy is it to get to the rifle unlimbered when its center-mounted in the Kifaru Nomad?

I don't necessarily see needing a super-speedy 'quick-draw' option like the belt-mounted Gun Bearer... but something closer to the access available with say a side-mount and strapped to the pack rather than under the armpit. All I have to go by is one video on setting up the Kifaru center-mounted Gun Bearer, but it looks like it gets tucked in under everything else... which means everything else has to be un-clipped, un-strapped, or un-packed just to get at the rifle. Granted, in the scenario I'm thinking of, the pack would be probably in its minimal configuration as a day pack - gun, spotting scope, tripod, ammo, rangefinder, extra clothes, water, little bit of food, etc. It might be as simple as opening/separating the 'wings' and unclipping the rifle - I don't know. One of the things that seemed attractive about the Eberlestock scabbard packs was that folks seemed to be able to simply drop the pack, open the clip over the gun, pull it out and move on to getting whatever other gear they need from the rest of the pack.

How easy is it to get to the rifle unlimbered when its center-mounted in the Kifaru Nomad?

I don't necessarily see needing a super-speedy 'quick-draw' option like the belt-mounted Gun Bearer... but something closer to the access available with say a side-mount and strapped to the pack rather than under the armpit. All I have to go by is one video on setting up the Kifaru center-mounted Gun Bearer, but it looks like it gets tucked in under everything else... which means everything else has to be un-clipped, un-strapped, or un-packed just to get at the rifle. Granted, in the scenario I'm thinking of, the pack would be probably in its minimal configuration as a day pack - gun, spotting scope, tripod, ammo, rangefinder, extra clothes, water, little bit of food, etc. It might be as simple as opening/separating the 'wings' and unclipping the rifle - I don't know. One of the things that seemed attractive about the Eberlestock scabbard packs was that folks seemed to be able to simply drop the pack, open the clip over the gun, pull it out and move on to getting whatever other gear they need from the rest of the pack.

There are three fastex type buckles (horizontal compression straps) you unclip on the nomad, and the pack sides open to remove the rifle. (Kinda like pod bay doors or something). You don't open any compartments or remove any gear. It's easy, but it's not something you do by yourself with the pack still on your back. If you want that, the elberlestock scabbard reaching over your head might work, or a gunbearer on the waist belt of any pack. When I had an X3 lo-drag I could do that reaching above my head, I'm not sure if the intex style frame still works that way or not.

ETA: While I love the nomad I have, it's probably overkill for day type matches. I use an express and a good sling for day matches.

Last edited:
    Yeah, I was at the Kettle Falls match too, and ran an X3 Lo-Drag. It's a pain in the ass to keep taking the gun in and out of the scabbard at each stage, so unless I'm hiking a long way in rough terrain I just sling it across my back, muzzle down, so it rides on the side of my pack. The key is a good adjustable sling like a TAB FTW.

I'm 6 foot 5 I was just at kettle falls as well I haven't had any issues with the lo drag eberlestock yet I've had it for about a year I really like it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My team-mate (about 6' 1") was using and X3 Lo-drag, and about the only problem he had was that he insisted on carrying muzzle up, so wedging the butt down in the pack amounted to a bit of a wrestling match a couple times - seemed like his HS stock or the pack insides or both got more 'grippy' as things got wetter that first day.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone even attempt pulling their gun straight out of the scabbard without taking the pack off - seems like it'd be tough not to sweep *someone* in a crowded staging area. Out in the middle of BFE, maybe.

I had a pretty good sling - a TIS Quick-Cuff - but between a 26" barrel and a 9" suppressor, I just couldn't find a good way to carry the gun that didn't rub, bump, or generally annoy the crap out of me by the end of the day.

Butt down? I tried that with an AI and it didn't work at all. Carry was one reason I dumped my quick cuff sling. The quick adjust on the TAB is what makes it carry well

Yeah... He had spiked feet on his bipod and didn't want to go jamming those into the pack. I think the GS2 is supposed to have more room/ less taper to accommodate muzzle up carry but I don't know about the X3LD

Sent from my Samsung S4

I put rubber tubing on my spikes. Worked great until I lost the tube...

I'll have to look more closely at the GS scabbard. Muzzle down is ok without my can, but the pack is too top heavy with the added length. Probably the same issue your buddy had.

Last edited:
    I have spiked feet on my atlas and fold the feet to the stock and no jabbing the pack to each their own though

Yeah... He had spiked feet on his bipod and didn't want to go jamming those into the pack. I think the GS2 is supposed to have more room/ less taper to accommodate muzzle up carry but I don't know about the X3LD

Sent from my Samsung S4
    The scabbard is identical (dimensionally & capacity-wise) between the Gunslinger 2 and X3 LoDrag packs. Neither pack offers an advantage over the other, regardless of whether the weapon is muzzle up or muzzle down, when it comes to the scabbard alone. Other factors can come into play, such as how much gear is being hauled in the main compartment (possibly affecting the difficulty in drawing the weapon from the scabbard), but the scabbard of each pack is still identical.

I agree, I wouldn't go much above 10 lbs on a gunbearer mounted on the waist belt. I have however carried several different 15lb+ rifles on the nomad center/back gunbearer, and you will feel like a lycra wearing biathlon skier with the weight centered on your back and close to you. I went 75 miles this weekend with a benelli M2 and an AR in the nomad. Super comfortable.

That's a very good point. I should have clarified that I was referring to the waist belt mounted gunbearer with my comment about 10 lbs. I agree that using the gun bearer mounted to the center/back of the pack would be a good way to carry a much heavier rifle while keeping the weight centered.