• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Packs/Bags/Backpacks for PRS/Matches/Local Range Use

Just picked up a Mystery Ranch Front. It’s sized just right to fit my stuff.
A4C641F0-773A-4D23-9C64-D385F9EC0FD7.jpeg2836CC7D-748F-417F-A7BD-55EDACF7CE62.jpeg6E3D5568-3E5F-4CAB-B65B-49F5950DF120.jpeg

@The_Count Take a look at the Kifaru Antero. It doesn’t look tactical at all. I saw a pic somewhere with a smaller tripod stuffed in the side bottle pouch.

I've made an effort to cut back on how much crap I haul around at matches, and I picked up an Eberlestock Bandit last fall as a new PRS match pack. So far, I am pretty damn happy with it. It's the perfect size to haul the gear I still carry at matches (with my Fat Bag attached to the outside) without being too big or bulky, and I can still use it as an oversize support bag if needed.

I can try to get photos tonight if anyone wants to see it/. I need an excuse to see how well it can do with a RRS tripod stuffed into the side pocket.

1,000% Agree with finding a model you like then going with the next size smaller.

I have two bags I use:
1). Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 w/ frame for those times I have to ruck a good distance (other than just truck to firing line/pits) with everything.
2). A small (highly abused) Maxpedition Falcon II knockoff pack. If I run this, then my rifle is carried/slung with a scope and crown cover attached. I had no idea a knockoff pack would have lasted this many years of hard use lol.

Now that I'm looking at that MR Front and the EB HiSpeed II pack... I might have to retire my Fauxpedition.

TAD Edc Litespeed. As has been said, smaller is better, forces you to be judicious about the crap you put in it.

Ammo, Kestrel, Binos, spare mag, rain gear if weather calls for it, water, toolkit, and maybe a snack, tripod is either carried or strapped with QD to the pack.

I landed on the K2 titanium-framed Exo Mountain Gear 2000 with in Multi Cam with weapon carrier specifically for shooting, then slip on the 3500 bag for back country hunting. I sold all the others. It's an investment, but I try to buy equipment one time and have serve multiple purposes. Best carrying, super lightweight, lots of accessories can be added.

I have been looking at these packs as well. How does the weapon carrier work? Does it secure your rifle well enough to jog with it? I have a shoot every year that I go to that I have to hike/run/jog between stages and so far the eberlestock does the best job of holding the weapon secure, it just really sucks in about every other aspect.

Yep. I carry 4, personally, but 3 will do it - especially if you can use a 12-14rd mag.
Thanks, Historically I've run three, and never had and issue. I can take another one no problem. Does anyone take replacement triggers in their bag?

Another vote for 5.11. Very durable and light. Perfect for prs matches and affordable. I sold my Eberlestock too heavy. I have been running 5.11 for 3 years now.

Check out the Direct Action Dragon Egg - this is what I went with. It's very well made. Everything you need, nothing you don't, with just enough room to throw in a jacket, rain gear, etc. The laptop compartment is perfect for two tab gear ammo binders. It has a detachable belt and internal pockets for pens, rangefinder, kestrel, etc. I also keep a IFAK, sling, scopeshade, scope cover, binocs, notebook, and some misc small tools in it. If you want to throw a bladder in there it can accommodate that too. I picked up the Tac Reload Pouch - Rifle which attaches to the outside and holds 2 ten round mags for easy access.

In fact, if you're interested in the Pencott Badlands I'll make you a great deal....I love the bag and had it one year. But he pattern I originally wanted wasn't in stock. PM me - good luck on your search
View attachment 6890266

^ I love this bag for matches when you need more stuff.. also love the Sitka

Reposted of some of these tripod pics for The_Count

I don't always need all that stuff, but inside ether my Sitka or the Egg is: (posted earlier)
Pens
Arm board/dope cards
Solver (sometimes)
Log (sometimes)
Dope cards
Back up is my watch GPS+ conditions
Map or COF
Lens cleaner
Full Fix it Stix (Core) tools / or Borka
Solid 3 piece SS cleaning Rod (saved several matches, from dropped guns to stuck cases)
Cleaning field supply’s
12ga brush as a case head extractor (again saved several people’s match)
Batteries
Small med kit
Full Rain Gear jacket and pants
Gloves
Electronic and foam hearing pro
Knife
Bipod claws
Flashlight
9mm/holster/mags (if needed)
Days ammo
Water/food

On the front strap:
PLRF
Kestrel

Side pocket
10x mil subtensioned monocular
Razor HD spotter

3 Mags
1 removable Kadex mag holder that goes on my belt

Clipped to the back:
Empty Chamber indicator
rear bag - often left off
Game changer (if needed)
RRS tripod (if needdd)
Hat

It gets a lot lighter if I drop the tripod and Razor Spotter.

For size comparison the bag on the lest is a standard pump pillow, the bottom a Game Changer

I also love the Max Sitka. It will carry the same amount.

Sitka

KUIU ICON PRO1800 Day hunting -- with load-out game shelf.. Used in a couple field style matches

KUIU ICON PRO 3200 -- hunting multi-day pack -- with load-out game shelf

Last edited:
Last edited:
^ I love this bag for matches when you need more stuff.. also love the Sitka

Reposted of some of these tripod pics for The_Count
View attachment 7043341

I don't always need all that stuff, but inside ether my Sitka or the Egg is: (posted earlier)
Pens
Arm board/dope cards
Solver (sometimes)
Log (sometimes)
Dope cards
Back up is my watch GPS+ conditions
Map or COF
Lens cleaner
Full Fix it Stix (Core) tools / or Borka
Solid 3 piece SS cleaning Rod (saved several matches, from dropped guns to stuck cases)
Cleaning field supply’s
12ga brush as a case head extractor (again saved several people’s match)
Batteries
Small med kit
Full Rain Gear jacket and pants
Gloves
Electronic and foam hearing pro
Knife
Bipod claws
Flashlight
9mm/holster/mags (if needed)
Days ammo
Water/food

On the front strap:
PLRF
Kestrel

Side pocket
10x mil subtensioned monocular
Razor HD spotter

3 Mags
1 removable Kadex mag holder that goes on my belt

Clipped to the back:
Empty Chamber indicator
rear bag - often left off
Game changer (if needed)
RRS tripod (if needdd)
Hat

It gets a lot lighter if I drop the tripod and Razor Spotter.
View attachment 7043353
For size comparison the bag on the lest is a standard pump pillow, the bottom a Game Changer

I also love the Max Sitka. It will carry the same amount.

Sitka
View attachment 7043349

KUIU ICON PRO1800 Day hunting -- with load-out game shelf.. Used in a couple field style matches
View attachment 7043351

KUIU ICON PRO 3200 -- hunting multi-day pack -- with load-out game shelf
View attachment 7043348
Huge thanks for this!

Very curious about how your 12 gauge case removal technique.

I just picked up a black and grey Maxpedition Falcon-II. While it has molle on it, I don't think it looks tactical. So far I'm really digging this. Definitely on the small side, but I think that's a good thing.

Huge thanks for this!

Very curious about how your 12 gauge case removal technique.
The two most common things I see that fail at matches or a case of separation or a stuck case. It used to be the jewel triggers but I don’t see is many on the guns today.

For the jewel trigger you used to carry some Bronson lighter fluid. Not sure I would use that trick on any other trigger.

For a stuck case, you need to carry a rigid cleaning rod to punch it out inserting the rod from the muzzle end. That’s why it’s important to carry the screw together rods and not all the fancy bore snakes.

If you’ve had a case head separation, Sometimes you can just tilt the muzzle up in the case will fall out. Many other times it will stay in the chamber and only the case head is ejected. You take the first section of your cleaning rod and screw on a 12 gauge brush with the adapter. After you pull the bolt, you push the 12 gauge brush into the stock case and pull backwards. Because the brass bristles are bent backwards when you pull they lock into the case and remove it.

I have been looking at these packs as well. How does the weapon carrier work? Does it secure your rifle well enough to jog with it? I have a shoot every year that I go to that I have to hike/run/jog between stages and so far the eberlestock does the best job of holding the weapon secure, it just really sucks in about every other aspect.
Sorry shields just seeing this.
The combination of the weapon carrier with the horizontal straps make it rock solid. Running or jogging is a non issue as the clips and straps provide excellent hold on the weapon and eliminate any left-to-right flopping during runs, even with a 20lbs+ stick.
The extra wide waist belt is cushy but supportive, and the shoulder straps perform the same. This is a 5lbs empty pack that is designed to carry and support a lot of weight comfortably and hold up for more than one trip. Most pack manufacturers either build their Chinese shit cheap to bring it into bantam weight for the lightweight crowd, or overbuild their Chinese shit to make up for a poor design.
I've had every pack you can buy, some you can't, and have built my own, and the Exo and the Stone Glacier packs are tops for my needs.
I don't give a shit how operator looking, what the fashion or the name of the pack is. I'll take an ugly pink flavored pack built by with an expert design that carries all my stuff comfortably than something I can't wait to get out of halfway thru an event...

Last edited:
Reactions: shields shtr
Figure out what gear you really need to have with you, and that could take some time to come to terms with, then get a pack that is sized accordingly. Get a quality pack, this is one area you need to be realistic about. Going to the range is pack requirement is not the same as a pack for PRS/Matches. Be realistic about your requirement plan your load out, if you don't it will come at a cost. Exo Mountain, Kifaru, MS, Gregory, 5.11, Arcteryx leaf, SG, Hill People are all worthwhile the time to look at them.

Reactions: Clownbuster
I’ve been using a Recycled Firefighter 24hr pack, it’s about 22L. It’s worked ok but to be honest I want something just a bit smaller. I’ve looked at Kifaru Quadrant and Door Gunner, Mystery Ranch 3DAP, ASAP, and Front, I’ve had a TAD Gear Litespeed in the past, also looked at Hill People Gear and Eberlestock Bandit.

I bought the Mystery Ranch Front today. I have the Raton match coming up next weekend so hopefully it’s here by then and I can try it out.

A guy on facebook just posted photos of a prototype pack he is working on. In my mind, it would be about the perfect PRS pack. You could arrange all your gear inside, lay it down and open up to full access, grab what you need, then zip it back up and on to the next stage.

Attachments

• prs pack.jpg
    prs pack.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 89
  • prs pack 2.jpg
    prs pack 2.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 98
  • prs pack 3.jpg
    prs pack 3.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 88
  • prs pack 5.jpg
    prs pack 5.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 101
A guy on facebook just posted photos of a prototype pack he is working on. In my mind, it would be about the perfect PRS pack. You could arrange all your gear inside, lay it down and open up to full access, grab what you need, then zip it back up and on to the next stage.

Any info on when he will be releasing it, or is he still in the early phase of development?

Camera bags rock for shooting matches. If I can scrounge up a pic of mine I'll post it.

I own a Kifaru for backpacking, but don’t really bring it to the range. I’ve actually found a camelback BFM to be great for the range.

I have a Goruck GR1 I use as my daily bag and works fine. If I pick up a dedicated tripod, I'll probably get one of the bigger ones.

If anyone is interested

I have a brand new Eberleestock pack and two side pouches that need a home. I have been running these packs for 15 years and my original one is still as good as new.

Military Green

It's brand new with tags on it and two extra add on side pouches.

$230 on a pick up or $245 shipped.

I’m rocking the Eberlestock Upranger Pack. It’s a better organizer than packing around pack, however I have no complaints. I like that it doesn’t turn into a bottomless pit. I’ve got both side attachments for a total of 8 external pockets. Would be a poor choice for long hikes, but for the NRL and locals I’ve shot, it’s been great.

I have been using a eberlestock half track for my local day matches, so far so good. I do not attach the rifle to it, matches are not held at large areas so walking between stages is very limited.