• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Padded sling recommendations for a heavy rifle?

EMT4hire

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2013
I picked up an FN SPR A2/A4 recently and as neat as it is, it's also pretty hefty. I think 12 lbs or so? Maybe more? So I'd like to find a good padded sling, ideally with fairly wide webbing. I've found a few options but looks like most slings with padding are fairly narrow. Does anyone make a solid padded sling with a 1.5" to 2" wide padded section?

Arbor Arms makes a slide -on pad for any webbing sling. Works great!!

I snagged one of these years ago and have never looked back:

Reactions: phlegethon
A regular old Butler Creek neoprene sling is pretty good at taking the weight off you and softening up the ups and downs of packing a heavy rifle.

It's not worth a crap for position shooting though.

Hey thanks everyone! Getting some stuff pulled together for my first long range course. Keeping it simple to start and going with Triad. Not really setup for position shooting as far as I can tell but it's at least a start for moving the rifle around with me.

Quake claw doesn’t slip on the shoulder. Its what I use on hunting rifles. My gas guns all use the vtac slings though.

In 'Nam, we used the Issue M-60 Sling for the M-60 LMG. Don't let the "LMG" fool ya, the usual nickname for the '60 was "The Hog". The M-60 is listed as weighing 23+ lb., Loaded weight (100rd) was around 26lb.

I do know that lugging it around in the bush was a bit if a chore; and well worth the work when the occasion called for one.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: RTH1800