• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pain killers

Dougie308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Went the ER today for a painful medical thing and was given some Hydrocodone for the pain part. I don’t know why everyone is so down on these things. They’re great! No pain. Good attitude. What’s not to like?!

I’m going to go back tomorrow and get some more! I’m not above a little lying if it’s gonna get me somewhere.

Dougie, take it from one who knows, and has been there. Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, and others are (and can be) fantastic medications. They really DO work well on actual pain.

BUT, the cells in your body adapt to them faster than nicotine from tobacco. And, if you're unawares, even when you are 'finished' with the need for the meds, and decide to stop, THAT is when the pain really starts to come out.

Simply because, you're body gets very easily DEPENDENT on the meds. I'm not saying you're addicted at this/that time, but your body is relying on its regular intake in order to function. You take away that supply, and all the sudden you're in a world of hurt that belongs in a different universe.

Only take what you need, when you need it. Then stretch it out between doses, AS WELL AS take less over time, to wean yourself off.

Because if you don't, you'll be quitting "cold turkey" and there are only two outcomes of THAT game. Pain and suffering whilst you bull your way through (with sheer dogged determination and rage) or you're a junkie that'll sell your mothers TV to get a fix from the guy on the corner.

Pick one.

I've seen a lot of friends, coworkers, and acquaintances go straight to the fucking bottom because of painkillers and other pharma shit.

Pretty much the only prescriptions I'll take are anti-biotics and glasses.

Fuck EVERYTHING else (unless the pain is so bad you'd almost rather be dead than deal with it. Then it's probably fine to load up.)

Use caution as many of the Hydrocodone are heavily mixed with Acetaminophen.... it is hell on the liver
====

Hydrocodone is an opioid, and acts as a selective agonist of the μ-opioid receptor, the main biological target of the endogenous neuropeptide β-endorphin.[10][11]
It was patented in 1923.[12] Hydrocodone is prescribed predominantly within the United States, with the International Narcotics Control Board reporting that 99% of the worldwide supply in 2007 was consumed in the United States. Several common imprints for hydrocodone are M365, M366, M367.[13] In 2016 it was the 113th most prescribed medication in the United States with more than 6 million prescriptions.[14]

Hydrocodone/paracetamol, also known as hydrocodone/acetaminophen, is the combination of the pain medications hydrocodone and paracetamol (acetaminophen).[1] It is used to treat moderate to severe pain.[1][2] It is taken by mouth.[1] Recreational use is common in the United States.

Each year a substantial number of Americans experience intentional and unintentional Tylenol (acetaminophen) associated overdoses that can result in serious morbidity and mortality. Analysis of national databases show that acetaminophen-associated overdoses account for about 50,000 emergency room visits and 25,000 hospitalizations yearly. Acetaminophen is the nation's leading cause of acute liver failure, according to data from an ongoing study funded by the National Institutes for Health. Analysis of national mortality files shows about 450 deaths occur each year from acetaminophen-associated overdoses; 100 of these are unintentional."

I've done ok with pain so far. Ruined my stomach with NSAIDs, frankly, those fucking things are the most dangerous stuff out there. But alas....I can't take that shit no more.

Oxy for my knee and arm surgery...only took it a few days, then left it alone, I have a healthy respect for that shit. Plus, if you take it all the time, it becomes useless.

Then....the busted disk, and vertabrae rubbing my high tension wires came about.....I made Dewey Cox look like he was popping Pez:

I'm in pain a lot but I've mostly turned into this Dewey Cox:

In all seriousness. It's a great drug, when used as absolutely necessary. For that matter, so is likker.

They are really good crushed up and shot into a pumpkin... with a little cinnamon?

Sorry, that's the only text I can think to put along with such a random image!

• Haha
Reactions: armorpl8chikn
I had been prescribed some before for pain... 4 days on. all my pain was gone, felt like i was a teenager again with no pain.

then went off, body was trembling and pain in joints and other areas you got used to were back in full force with a vengeance but for those few days, man i felt great !!!

Reactions: Jscb1b
800 mg of ibuprofen will take care of most pain. Jim Beam for the things ibuprofen won't numb.
if 800mg of Ibuprofen takes care of your pain.......you arent really in pain.

docs prescribed me 800 mg three times a day for the arthritis in my knees (3 knee dislocations are a bitch).....didnt do shit......i just suck it up and deal with it, im not gonna trash my liver with meds that dont work.

if 800mg of Ibuprofen takes care of your pain.......you arent really in pain.

docs prescribed me 800 mg three times a day for the arthritis in my knees (3 knee dislocations are a bitch).....didnt do shit......i just suck it up and deal with it, im not gonna trash my liver with meds that dont work.

Bingo.
Except ibuprophin screws up your kidneys (not your liver) if it doesn't pop a hole in your stomach. If you are lucky you just end up with a bad ulcer.

Part of the problem is that now they dont give true opiates like morphine or heroin. True opiates are much less toxic on the body and do a better job of pain control. Instead they give this synthetic crap that doesnt work so well so you have to keep taking it.

I have a prescription for dilaudid for an age old neck injury. I rarely take it but when I do I get immediate pain relief but also a rosy glow that lasts a couple days. That rosy glow helps to keep me from taking anymore for a while. Its kind of like being able to think back to that time I didnt hurt and put my mind there. The synthetics never gave me that space, you just want more.

The key is to know yourself and your limits and to realize either you control it or it controls you.

Bingo.
Except ibuprophin screws up your kidneys (not your liver) if it doesn't pop a hole in your stomach. If you are lucky you just end up with a bad ulcer.

I was taking Aleve for the arthritis. Burnt a nice hole in my stomach. If we would read the fine print we'ed never take this crap...after I got the ulcer I read the fine print..."Can cause hemorrhaging even leading to death."...Gee thanks.

Bingo.

^^^^^ The Chikn is absolutely correct... battling a chronic kidney condition is not a good way to go through life... especially after dosing 800mg ibuprofens for a year.

I know several people who had serious addiction problems from that shit. It started about the same way too.

If you are taking Hydrocodone your eyes are going to turn brown because you haven't taken a dump in days.
It will seriously screw up your system!

jrhtx is spot on, better be adding some fiber to that regimine

I fractured a vertebrae (L5) last summer & I was prescribed hydrocodone. Begrudgingly, I took that shit once while lying on the table at the hospital.

It took the edge off the pain & I got sleepy. The doctor offered more & I declined to accept. My advice is to walk away from that shit. It’s poison & prolonged use is a dead end. Period.

At some point you’ll have to man up. Start today.

So for my injuries incurred on deployment, they started me with 800mg of ibuprofen and then vicodin. Didn't work went to norco. Didn't work went to Percocet. Didn't work... after two years of popping that crap I quit cold turkey and never had withdrawals. Turns out I am supposedly part of the 1% that is "immune" to the stuff. The ibuprofen put a hole in my gut. So I just deal with the pain best I can.

Attachments

• 20181226_142953.jpg
    20181226_142953.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 131
No, I didn't see the sarcasm. What I did see though, is what has been seen/heard FAR TOO often. Hence why I hinted at some of my experiences. I've had practically everything broken except my left arm, including my pelvis in 4 places. So yeah, I kinda have a bit of experience with "pain meds" as well as "prolonged use".

Far too many, have done far less that what I did, and are now junkies. Well, those that're still alive. This all started for me back in '04. For this crowd here, I don't mind sharing a bit of actual knowlege on the topic, as opposed to others who've only watched. (that's not a slam, for I wouldn't wish this experience on ANYONE here.)

The thing is, when you're REALLY in pain, the stuff is so good that it takes the pain away, almost. So much so, that you think that you're not in pain anymore. And then it wears off....

The trick is, not to WANT/NEED/YEARN FOR another hit. Ride it out, wait, prolong it if you can,,,,

And DON'T whatever you do, don't ever take it out of laziness. Only out of need.

So in reality pain meds and sleeping pills, the kind you have to have signed letters for.

Doc asked how you doing I see you only take half a day.

No I take a full dose every other day.
My liver gets one day off.
I sleep every other day, and read snipers hide the other all nite.

Doc says you're kidding, no I wish.

I know a guy that got into a fight/ass beat in a bar, he got beat on pretty good. Went to the hospital and his injuries were severe enough he got prescribed Vicodin( this was 20 yrs ago). He abused his medication and ate them way faster than was prescribed. They ended up constipating him pretty severely, he was heavily straining to have a bowel movement (so he says) and ended up breaking a rib trying to take a #2, says he heard/felt it pop when he was grunting . His rib was apparently cracked and almost broke from the boots he took from the fight in the bar is what he says the doctors told him when he went back to the hospital for his broken rib. Sounds crazy but he made it sound believeable when he told the story.

I fractured a vertebrae (L5) last summer & I was prescribed hydrocodone. Begrudgingly, I took that shit once while lying on the table at the hospital.

It took the edge off the pain & I got sleepy. The doctor offered more & I declined to accept. My advice is to walk away from that shit. It’s poison & prolonged use is a dead end. Period.

At some point you’ll have to man up. Start today.

Not only man up, but save yourself from a (truncated) life of miserable addiction. AJ's right....don't take it now, squirrel it away and save it for a trauma kit, only taking it when nothing else will do. It is highly addictive and will fuck you up bad, in short order. Not being to drop a deuce for two weeks will be the least of your problems.

Bottom line ? Stay as far away from all that shit as possible. It's bad, very bad news.

Am I the only one who took the OP for sarcasm?

Not ragging on you, but it's not funny. It's no laughing matter. It's very dangerous shit.

I've had numerous surgeries and the Doc's prescribed that shit in the hospital. First time it happened, I told the nurses to unhook that shit and get it out of my room. Took Tylenol for a short period of time, worked fine.

My physiology must somehow be different. The one time I took oxycodone was after ankle surgery and didn't do jack for the pain. I felt every last bit of the pain but added feeling woozy and not being able to take a shit. No shortage of people offering to take the stuff off my hands, though.

They put one of those boots on me after the surgery. After a couple days of searing pain I opened it all up to find a thick circular pad placed right over the incision that was pressing on it. Pulled it out, latched up the boot again and the pain was gone. Pills went down the loo along with my respect for half of modern medicine.

-Stooxie

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Can't believe I didn't jump in sooner, but I will second what every other member is saying. BE CAREFUL with that stuff. And I mean like loaded gun careful. I have personally witnessed folks in my circle get inadvertently hooked on that shit. Opiates are powerful beyond imagination and entire families have been wiped out because of it.

Like antibiotics, opiates are one of mankind's true wonder drugs when used very, very correctly. Any wizened sage in Oriental medicine will tell you that ANY drugs are "yi feng yao, san feng du ", which means "one part medicinal, three parts poison". Even OTC substances like ibuprofen and acetaminophen can fuck up someone's stomach and liver if used improperly. When it comes to medicines, proceed with utmost caution.

When my father had been suffering from the complications of lung cancer, he also had to undergo multiple painful surgeries and procedures like chest tubes and empyema / pneumonia drainage and he always tell us to "get that shit out of here" also, whenever they try to prescribe him opiates or put him on a drip. He took acetaminophen when the pain became too intolerable but it was not easy at all for us to tell how he really felt because he ALWAYS kept his discomforts to himself and never showed outward emotions. He was a fighter in every sense of the word and stayed with us for almost 16 years since his diagnosis.

I send you wishes for a speedy recovery, man.

Last edited:
If you’ve experienced moriphine psychosis then you are a friend of mine? all that other shit is a joke.

And the VA and other hospitals have so many lying ass people walking through their doors screaming for pain pills that they are totally jaded towards real pain control.

Bring back Demerol or Darvon.

I've never taken pain killers, from my first encounter with them long ago. They will allow you to really hurt yourself if you have enough fortitude. Even during my cancer, neck, knee, an wrist surgery plus a few other bumps along the way, I want no part of pain meds. Take the pain, it's good for you.

So for my injuries incurred on deployment, they started me with 800mg of ibuprofen and then vicodin. Didn't work went to norco. Didn't work went to Percocet. Didn't work... after two years of popping that crap I quit cold turkey and never had withdrawals. Turns out I am supposedly part of the 1% that is "immune" to the stuff. The ibuprofen put a hole in my gut. So I just deal with the pain best I can.

Ha. Me too. Guess i’m part of that 1%. I can eat pain killers like M & M’s and get nothing. Pre-op shot doesn’t work either. They shoot me up and are shocked I’m talking and telling jokes when they wheel me in the OR. Sucks for dental as Novocain doesn’t work well either.

• Wow
Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Acetaminophen is absolute poison. Its more dangerous than the opiates they mix it with as far as Im concerned. I live with a healthy amount of chronic pain. I have tried everything under the sun. For longer term quality of life (which to me is both pain management but also how well your body functions in other ways i.e. liver health, energy level, mood, side effects, etc.) I have found kratom and juicing tumeric roots to be better than the stuff they write a script for. 2 tsp of kratom works better than a norco. 2ozs tumeric juice works better than 3 advil for pain and inflamation both but lasts 24 hours instead of 4. It also has a lot of other health benefits and wont give you ulcers.

Dougie, take it from one who knows, and has been there. Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, and others are (and can be) fantastic medications. They really DO work well on actual pain.

BUT, the cells in your body adapt to them faster than nicotine from tobacco. And, if you're unawares, even when you are 'finished' with the need for the meds, and decide to stop, THAT is when the pain really starts to come out.

Simply because, you're body gets very easily DEPENDENT on the meds. I'm not saying you're addicted at this/that time, but your body is relying on its regular intake in order to function. You take away that supply, and all the sudden you're in a world of hurt that belongs in a different universe.

Only take what you need, when you need it. Then stretch it out between doses, AS WELL AS take less over time, to wean yourself off.

Because if you don't, you'll be quitting "cold turkey" and there are only two outcomes of THAT game. Pain and suffering whilst you bull your way through (with sheer dogged determination and rage) or you're a junkie that'll sell your mothers TV to get a fix from the guy on the corner.

Pick one.

Yeah, I was just goofing. I had three major operations in three years and learned all about the hazards of addiction. Withdrawal was not the most fun I’ve ever had.

Ha. Me too. Guess i’m part of that 1%. I can eat pain killers like M & M’s and get nothing. Pre-op shot doesn’t work either. They shoot me up and are shocked I’m talking and telling jokes when they wheel me in the OR. Sucks for dental as Novocain doesn’t work well either.
Yep. Same here

If you’ve experienced moriphine psychosis then you are a friend of mine? all that other shit is a joke.

And the VA and other hospitals have so many lying ass people walking through their doors screaming for pain pills that they are totally jaded towards real pain control.

Bring back Demerol or Darvon.
I had Darvon back in the day. I would take 3... and nothing.

Reactions: Dewey7271
Not ragging on you, but it's not funny. It's no laughing matter. It's very dangerous shit.

I've had numerous surgeries and the Doc's prescribed that shit in the hospital. First time it happened, I told the nurses to unhook that shit and get it out of my room. Took Tylenol for a short period of time, worked fine.
I’m not saying it’s a laughing matter. I refuse to take anything more than an occasional OTC and suck up the rest, just saw the OP for what it was in his own words below. This is the Bear Pit, after all...

Lots of otherwise good info in here. That shit is a plague on America, and is part of our coming downfall if not dealt with quickly.

Spinal fusion 6 screws, 3 rods.... Pain meds work, they also destroy...... I know. This June it will be 13 years since my line of duty injury. If a Ten's unit can help use it stay off the pain meds, short term OK.... Long term you're body will tell you when you're hooked, it is not easy to stop MY2C.

Take as prescribed and you will not have a fucking problem, do not and dance with the Devil !