• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Paint barrel or not?

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
I know this is all personal choice, but, I have never painted a barrel before. I have a Sightron SIII on the way for it. Should I try painting the barrel or just leave it the way it is?

photo1-1.jpg

Re: Paint barrel or not?

paint it! it's too shiny. painting is a breeze. i use a hair dryer and spray a little then blow it dry. speeds up the process quite a bit. you still have to let it cure for a while, but you don't have to wait between coats or stenciling as much. just don't use your wife's hair dryer.

Shoot it with krylon. If you don't like it, you can remove pretty easy.

i had trouble finding krylon (duck season was coming up), then i found a brand called majic at tractor supply. i've been happy with it so far. i believe rural king carries that brand also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd cerakote it matt black.</div></div>

^^ this

Rattle can it. If you don't like it strip it back off. No harm no foul. If you do like it, strip it back off and have it Cerakoted that color.

Anyone ever use Hammertite instead of Krylon or Alumahyde? And if so, what are the pros & cons?

As to the OP's question, Paint It. And if you want to go high speed, Ceracoat it in a base color, say Khaki. And from there you can rattle can camo it to your delight. Meaning to match whatever terrain you're operating in.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be able to strip off the Krylon, & have the base coat of Ceracoat stay on the barrel. Thus, changing your color scheme should be a no brainer.

cerakote is damn tough against solvents. I use acetone on a rag to clean up around my Tmarks and safe/fire after filling them with auto touch up paint with no problems. I hear soaking it will not soften it at all(haven't put that to the acetone test yet)

To the OP- What did you think we were gonna say? Paint the damn thing already! I prefer Cerakote, but if I were to go back to spraypaint, I prefer Rustoleum camo's, for their flat matte

Like you said, it's about aesthetics...unless it's a hunting rifle- and then I'd certainly want the shiny stainless gone.
If you're not sure, use Krylon...
If you like it, then you can always leave it, or re-do it with something more durable like Cerakote or Duracoat- although, unless you beat on it, the Krylon is pretty durable especially if you go over it with multiple coats of matte clear coat for protection.

If you decide you don't like it, it wipes right off with mineral spirits.

Like everyone stated, it's you personal choice. If it was me, I would be using this: http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-200Q/

Browse their site and pick a color that you like. There is something to be said about the durability of Cerakote. Just make the right decision up-front as it's not the easiest coating to revert/remove.

Krylon the thing matte black and if you dig it after driving it a while, drop the coin and Cerakote her.

Use some krylon, maybe something green, and then paint the scope too. All rifles look damn nice and "sniper like" when they are painted on cerakote or krylon camo, and not after market printed or dipped camos. Or even just black barrel, and scope.

Im gonna paint my M24 SWS soon with krylon.