• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Paint then Bed?

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
Guys, brown santa cam today and brought me my Medalist stock, airbrush, devcon 10110, and cerakote. My question is should I paint the barrel and action then bed or vise versa? Planning on starting tomorrow and nervous as shit.

Re: Paint then Bed?

I would paint first. I did it the opposite way around last week and had problems fitting the action back into the stock after cerakoting.

i prefer to bed first then apply the finish. i use moly-resin that goes on thin and i haven't had a problem. i prefer to do it this way so i don't need to worry about damaging the finish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i prefer to bed first then apply the finish. <span style="font-weight: bold">i use moly-resin that goes on thin</span> and i haven't had a problem. i prefer to do it this way so i don't need to worry about damaging the finish. </div></div>

I did my rifle this way with Norell's, but I also masked off just the recoil lug and left it bare metal.

Seemed to be no change in how the rifle felt being put back onto the stock or the fit.

I bed then coat.....never had an issue.

You dont have to worry about cleaning up the parts afterwards, just blast the bedding residue and coat.....