• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Painting a scope...how to securely hold it while coating?

SmokyJoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
Sonoma County, CA
I’m getting ready to paint a scope and am trying to figure out a good way to either hold the optic, or hang it, while spraying the paint. I am painting it with the rings on, so could hang it from the bolt hole in the bottom of the ring, but am thinking the wire could get in the way and/or rub against wet paint. Plus that’s kind of a wobbly way to hold/rotate something while trying to get even coverage all the way around. I also thought I could thread an additional 56mm sunshade on the end and use that as a handle.

Any suggestions from those who have a great idea for a sturdy way to hold/rotate a scope while painting would be welcome.

Just mount it on a spare rail attached to whatever is convenient and have at it.
I usually just paint the scope as mounted on the rifle.

Reactions: SmokyJoe
I’m getting ready to paint a scope and am trying to figure out a good way to either hold the optic, or hang it, while spraying the paint. I am painting it with the rings on, so could hang it from the bolt hole in the bottom of the ring, but am thinking the wire could get in the way and/or rub against wet paint. Plus that’s kind of a wobbly way to hold/rotate something while trying to get even coverage all the way around. I also thought I could thread an additional 56mm sunshade on the end and use that as a handle.

Any suggestions from those who have a great idea for a sturdy way to hold/rotate a scope while painting would be welcome.

What kind of paint job are you doing?

I am inclined to say put it on the gun then paint away.

If that doesn't work get a cheap plastic piece of pic rail and figure out how to mount it on a 2x4 or something. A couple of pieces the plastic MLOK and some wood screws would do it.

Edit:
The set below is $8 bucks with free shipping.

20210127_192848.jpg

I keep it on the rifle if not I just lay it down on a piece of cardboard or box.

you can’t see the bottom anyway.

Reactions: SmokyJoe
Pic rail sounds good. It shadows the bottom somewhat, but as brianf sez, that’s the least visible area.

Thanks for the input.

Thin wire around the turret or cap for me.
I know that "techincally" shouldn't paint where the rings are because of adding several thou to the diameter but it hasn't caused any problems with the scope slipping in the rings.

I won't coat in the rings; if the rings are ever changed out, or the scope repositioned in them I want full coverage. Different with a rattle can job, the stuff can be wiped off and it's not permanent like Ckote.