• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stuck B&L scope ring

Q_Sertorius

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2024
Lynchburg, VA
I recently acquired a Bausch & Lomb Balvar 8a scope that came with rings and a mount. The price was right for the scope, so I did not pay much attention to the rest of the setup, but I was optimistic that the rings would work. The scope is clear and serviceable.

The mount and rings showed signs of poor storage (surface rust on all the steel parts). The plunger on the rings appears to be stuck in the fully depressed position. It is supposed to have a strong spring inside that provides the tension needed to hold the scope in the mounts. The spring currently does not work and I am trying to get the plunger unstuck. The plunger is the pointy bit sticking out of the rings on the attached pictures. So far, I have cleaned off all surface rust and removed the locking screw. I soaked it in gasoline for approximately 24 hours and then applied a small amount of CLP. I can rotate the plunger in either direction an infinite number of turns, but the plunger remains stuck. Are there any other measures you can recommend to try to get it working? Is it possible to disassemble it further and put it back together again? Or should I toss it and find another set of rings?

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_7110.jpeg
    IMG_7110.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7109.jpeg
    IMG_7109.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7108.jpeg
    IMG_7108.jpeg
    519.2 KB · Views: 45
I would soak it in a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF (automatic transmission fluid). Only thing is I don't know how the acetone would affect that finish. But this has worked for me before when nothing else would.

Reactions: Q_Sertorius