• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Painting adding sand for texture?**Complete**

SScott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Guy have a Sako TRG stock to paint and I want to get it back to it's original condition, which is a light texture on the whole stock. It looks to me that they use sand in their sealant coat or paint.
Has anyone used sand between coats of paint to give their rifle texture?
I have seen sand used while painting decking for a non skid effect. We would put a good coat of paint down followed by a light pass of sand, then a few more coats of paint.
Does anyone have experience with this for rifle stocks?
Thanks, SScott
017.jpg

Re: Painting adding sand for texture??

SS,
Some will say using sand as a texture is not ideal, because it is not permanent. It is effective and I like the feel. I did my 5r this way and it works for me.
First I painted the stock to my liking. If you put the sand under the paint. Depending on the grain size of the sand it may cover up to much of the sand and you will loose the texture. After your paint has dried mask off the area that you don't want texture. I used play sand that is used in sand boxes. Next I sprayed the area where I wanted the texture with a matt clear polyurethane, while it is still wet I sprinkled the sand on the stock. Wait tell that dries and see it has enough texture for u. If it does not repeat tell your happy. If it does put on one more lite coat of poly to lock in the sand.
Getting the texture just right is a little tricky but practice on some thing other than your stock to get the timing down. It will hold up pretty good with normal to hard use
Good luck

Try rustoleum "multicolor texture". It is a rattle can product with a sand texture. I used it on my stock to paint a GAP color scheme. I sprayed the whole stock with it first, then did the camo pattern over it, leaving it as the sand color, looks awesome, just the texture your searching for.

Kevlar helmets are painted the way you are talking about. Try seeing what process they use

Brownell's sells a Aluma-Hyde spray on grit, as well as the Aluma-Hyde paint which has some texture to it. I would say your best bet is to spray epoxy paint or even polyester resin out of a texture gun (for drywall use), practice on a surface to get the distance and pressure correct. When the texture is dry, paint it, should be close.

Kirk R

There is a product called shark grit from Sherwin Williams or other paint stores. Same stuff Sako uses.

Thanks Guys for your help, I want to do it right the first time and we all know that prep work is 90% of a good paint job.
I looked at Brownells site but was a little skeptical on what I might get, I will research the Sherwin William stuff some more.
SScott

Also check on-line (or in person)at marine supply stores. They sell several products to add to the paint for just that purpose. West Marine or Jamestown Supply for a couple of names. They call it "anti-skid additive".

Not a friend of sand in the paint, just think of tossing the rifle on the bonnet or roof or the car....make shit of the car. I prefer to load the paint with a higher content of very fine pigments and try a splatter paint method. Also trying to blend my own paints based on epoxy but still in an early stage.
edi

The marine antiskid isn't sand...it is a rubber particle type stuff. Additionally, when the stock rubs against something with sand in it, the paint peels off the sand granules leaving the silicon glinting.

Ditto on the marine non-skid additive.
I used Intergrip non-skid on one of my boats and it does the job.
http://catalogs.westmarine.com/WebProjec...;pagelabel=277#

The non-skid paint additives are far lighter than sand- because they need to stay in suspension in the paint for a length of time.
Sand will drop to the bottom in short order...

Honestly, for that type of application (it'll need to be brushed), you should consider the marine two-part polyurethane topcoats. They ain't cheap- but designed for the marine environment they are <span style="font-style: italic">extremely</span> durable. Interlux Perfection is a fantastic product, easily applied by an amateur.

Look for aluminum oxide grit, I have seen it applied with industrial floor paint a couple of times. It is a little lighter in weight compared to sand and what I saw was black so at least it will be the same color as your desired finish if you have some exposed after the top coat.

Guys I just wanted to update you on my project.
I don't have a Sherwin Williams store in town, but I went to a professional paint store and they had a similar product.
It has Micronized Polymeric aggregate, which almost feels like a heavy talk, but suspends very well in Spar Varnish, and yes I did have to brush it on.
After letting it set for 48 hours I applied multiple coats of Sako green Duracoat.
Thank you everyone for your input as it really kept me in the right direction on this project.
Enjoy, SScott
008.jpg

004-4.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-2.jpg

007.jpg

The before picture.
52935920.jpg

Looks great!
Good idea, brushing on a thick base coat with the aggregate suspended, then spraying the Duracoat topcoat. Nice...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of paint did you mix the non-slip into?? Spar Varnish?

Looks excellent!! </div></div>
Yes, I bought the smallest can of spar varnish they had, I chose it because it said it was for marine use and resisted chemicals, I mixed in the granuals and brushed on a very thin coat of it. After the drying period I lightly scuffed the surface before painting with Duracoat.
SScott

It looks like it turned out really nice! I was looking for something like this, but hadn't thought of the marine non-skid approach. Thanks for the help!