• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Painting my Boyds Tacticool stock

Short-bus

customguncoatings.com
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Smithville, MO
www.customguncoatings.com
I didn't want to threadjack 2guard's thread on his rifle, so I started my own, looking for feedback or tips. This is my first time painting a rifle myself, and since i'm not all that bright i'm going for the gold and doing a digital pattern since I love the look of it. 3 colors, khaki, black, and OD.

Tonight I did the cheek rest. I wanted to start on a smaller piece since I could learn from any errors on a smaller scale that would sacrifice less time and paint. It's a good thing that I did perhaps. I now know that I need to make sure that the decals stay on better somehow. It might be the cold outside, and a combo of the surface of the plastic that made the edges in a lot of places not very crisp. Not sure yet.

Here's everything before I started to paint;

Stock_Before.jpg

Here's the cheek rest;

cheek-1.jpg

cheek-2.jpg

cheek-3.jpg

Wish it turned out as good as Todd's work is, but being my first time doing this, I should know better than to have wishful thinking like that. I did 2 coats of paint per color except the base coat of khaki which was 3 coats.

Any tips/advice before moving forward with the stock? Should I strip the cheek rest, and redo to see if I can resolve the previous issues?

Branden

Re: Painting my Boyds Tacticool stock

did you put a karsten on there or are they coming with them now?? i kept thinking that was a Choate tactical

I think it looks great for a first go at it. I would keep doing it on the cheekrest until you get it exactly how you like it, then proceed with the rest. Try for precise edges next and see if you can perfcect it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you put a karsten on there or are they coming with them now?? i kept thinking that was a Choate tactical </div></div>

Yes, I put the cheek rest on there. It's just a piece of Kydex (?), it's not a karsten brand. Nice thing about this one is I can run a stock pack at the same time if I want to.

Branden

Nice job. Looks like a good pattern. If you don't like the fuzzy edges, 3M makes some blue vinal masking tape in various widths that will take care of that. I know you can buy it in 1/16" to 1/2" at your local automotive store.

the texture on the stock / cheeckpiece makes it touogh to get that crisp edge between colors, but as a first time paint, not bad at all.

i usually just touchup those spots with a brush, which with a digital pattern is even tougher due to all the lines.

Ok, attempt number 2 was monumentally more successful, i'm extremely thrilled with the outcome, and i'm very glad that I redid it as I could apply the lessons learned from attempt #1.

List of new methods that I applied:

1. Used a hair dryer to warm the whole piece and stickers to help them stay down, it helped, but didn't eliminate the problem, hence application of rule #2.

2. Masked anything that wasn't getting sprayed 90 degrees on, using a piece of paper so that I wasn't spraying parallel to the edges of the stickers, only perpendicular to the way it was applied.

3. Applied only 2 coats, however I sprayed from further away making each layer very thin, but still sufficient to cover evenly. I noticed this first and foremost when peeling stickers off that there wasn't any obvious layering of paint. Attempt #1 you could see, and really feel the layers, they were just too thick. The thin coats of paint also really reduced the paint flowing under the stickers in the very small crevices of the texture on the plastic.

4. I used more stickers, however I still think I could have used more. I think that if I had a couple more sheets of the stickers, I would likely go a little nuts with them. I still have to do the stock, and it's a much larger piece.

Now for the pics. BTW, I have left the masking tape on the inside since I have yet to clear coat it. I'm going to give it 24hrs or so to cure before I clear coat it, hence you might think it looks a little strange.

cheek-4.jpg

cheek-5.jpg

cheek-6.jpg

I "could" do a little touch up work on it in 1 or maybe 2 spots, but they are TINY little issues, and I doubt anyone will really notice unless they pick it up and start looking for any imperfections.

Branden

Looks great. If you are having trouble with the edges, place them on the stock and then run the heat over the shape(s) and press the down with your fingers. If you are using painters tape, get some of the 3m automotive tape, it's lime green, and it sticks and conforms better than the blue stuff.
Anxious to see some of the stock once you get it painted. good job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2guard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great. If you are having trouble with the edges, place them on the stock and then run the heat over the shape(s) and press the down with your fingers. If you are using painters tape, get some of the 3m automotive tape, it's lime green, and it sticks and conforms better than the blue stuff.
Anxious to see some of the stock once you get it painted. good job. </div></div>

Appreciate the compliment, however I have to let you know that your thread on your FVT inspired me to quit thinking about doing it, and actually get off my butt and finally start painting.

I did heat the stickers and the plastic and push them down, it helped, but some of them still popped up. Keeping the coats very thin, and spraying 90 degrees to the surface I believe made a huge difference. I don't think that it being 50 degrees outside helped either. I would love to paint in my garage, however it's full of crap that my wife keeps putting in there. I would clean it all out, but then she'll just pile more crap in there.

It'll happen soon enough, maybe i'll take a day off during the week in the next week or two, clean the garage out, and turn it into a workshop. I want to build some rifles just to build something, anything to create a reason to do some more rifle painting...it's fun.

I painted the texture on the grip portion of the rifle. I didn't do the forend as I was concerned about it interfering with the bipod, and as i've found out on my .308, doesn't really serve any purpose (at least for me). If I find that I want it, I can do it, and just paint the rifle again! (
grin.gif
)

When I get off work tonight, i'm going to lay the base coat on the stock (Khaki). Depending on the time I get off, I may get the stickers applied and have everything ready to paint tomorrow sometime during my daughters naptime.

If all goes well I could possibly have the stock done tomorrow night or the next day. Sometime in there I have to cut my grass though. Sheesh!

Branden

Lookin' good Branden!

P.S.
Get the neighbor kid to cut the grass this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kansas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lookin' good Branden!

P.S.
Get the neighbor kid to cut the grass this time. </div></div>

No neighbor kids to do it! I got it done last night. I need to weed whack, but my weedeater won't run. I guess I have time to work on it now.

Branden

It's done! I'm quite happy with it, yet the extremely anal and overly critical portion of me is picking relatively minor things out and making me not as happy as I should be.

For my first time EVER painting a rifle stock, I should be thrilled. I was fighting the masking stickers through the whole process, they just didn't want to stick to the surface of the stock, so there are several edges that aren't as crisp as I wish they were.

stock-complete1.jpg

stock-complete2.jpg

I haven't clear coated it yet, there is a thing or two that I want to try/do to the stock before it gets clear coted. If I can figure out a better method of touching up, that would be ideal. The really small paintbrush trick wasn't giving me the results I wanted (again with the anal side of me being overly detail oriented).

Now I just need to get the right equipment so that I can properly paint the action, barrel, and scope rings so the whole setup will look right.

Branden

dude it looks good. really nice. hey, i hate to suggest this, but have you ever heard of pinking shears? they are used in fabrics to give a zig-zag cut like your edges. also, hate to admit it, but martha stewart has little paper cutting do dads out the wazoo and i bet at the craft area in hobby lobby you could get what you need to make stuff easier. just a thought

Looks Great ! Remember even McMillan stocks have imperfections. Looking forward to seeing it all put together now.

Looks like you paid a pretty good chunk of change for a professional paintjob!! You might even start doing your paintjobs for pay... who knows. Very nicely done.

NOW FOR THE BAD PART... You are too much like me in wanting everything to be absolutely perfect. Let me tell you from MY perspective on the stock. Leave it alone!! You will save yourself alot of frustration, and there is such a thing as jackin with it too much. It looks good man, just take it for what it is... it's just PAINT!!

DK

Turned out good! Especially considering the stickers you had werent the greatest. Bring it by tomorrow if you have time. Maybe ill put you on the night shift
wink.gif

Dumb question but I ordered the Tacticool stock. (got my email that it was delayed) but I did not see the cheek rest. Does it come with a cheek rest, or is that separate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, the cheek rest isn't included, I added that.

Branden</div></div>
OK so where did you get it? Home made?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, the cheek rest isn't included, I added that.

Branden</div></div>
OK so where did you get it? Home made? </div></div>

I bought mine from the author of this thread on RimfireCentral. Don't know if he still makes 'em, it was only $35.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333046

I like it as I can still use a stock pack with it without interference.

Branden

Great job dust remover. Your giving me the confidence to try to paint mine. That came out badass!

22_new-paint.jpg

Here's the rifle all put together, not the greatest pic, it looked a lot better in the preview display on the camera out there hence the reason I didn't take too many. Shot it out to 300 yards yesterday and was getting hits, that whole deal will be a different thread.

Branden