• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pair of Kurtz Mausers

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    CA87B5F9-36F1-4A92-99C8-324623A1BE16.jpeg
    98C991E9-3DB1-499E-B5CB-DB579FB2DE65.jpeg

Posting up a pair of short or Kurtz custom Mausers.
    Flat bolt 20” is very rare original Oberndorf action.
    Long barrel rifle is Granite Mountain Kurtz. 300 were made and this is #300.
    Both are color case hardened finish, Krieger barrels chambered in 6.5x250 Savage 1/7 twist.
    The scoped rifle has been used from Mexico to Alaska with excellent result. Often with Lyman bolt peep as a sight.
    Sadly, the short barrel rifle remains unused after 20 years.

Very elegant!

They are pistol gripped straight stocks!

Im not not really a fan of spoon style bolt handles but I have tastes that tend avoid things that make great ergonomic sense to everyone else.

Were they old when you got them or did you have them built?

Phil,
    The flat bolt is very nice for carrying in saddle scabbard and in woods. Not good for rapid bolt manipulation.
    I had the rifles built some years ago. Not really sure when. 1990-1995 I would guess.
    Long barrel rifle first. Later the iron sight only short barrel rifle.

Phil,
    The flat bolt is very nice for carrying in saddle scabbard and in woods. Not good for rapid bolt manipulation.
    I had the rifles built some years ago. Not really sure when. 1990-1995 I would guess.
    Long barrel rifle first. Later the iron sight only short barrel rifle.

I was guessing the advantage is ergonomic for not hanging up when drawing/storing in a scabbard, for preventing hang ups in bush or gear, perhaps preventing its digging into flesh when slung.

Im suppose when you are on a lion hunt and you order your gun bearer to get you the Mauser its good to hear "As you wish Sahib!" and he is right there with it for you to shoot the charging lion not struggling to get it from the scabbard.

These are certainly guns that need display and when not in the field they should be handled by men in smoking jackets drinking amber liquid while enjoying a bowl of pipe tobacco or a cigar.

• Love
    Reactions: sandwarrior
    Sad thing is that the population that values such things is dwindling.

Many similar guns end up in estate sales selling for pennies on the dollar.

@rth1800 has thankfully planned ahead and is leaving his to me.
    I don't want to jinx this but no one else is laughing. Personally, I think pmc deserves one of these at least for his dedication in pursuing the finer arts of shooting implements. :cool:

• Haha
    Reactions: RTH1800
    Those rifles are beautiful they look like they belong on the 1966 -1969 TV series DAKTARI.
    Or Wild Kingdom: As Jim grabs the rifle the big cat makes his move. Marlin Perkins watches from a safe distance.

Reactions: RTH1800
    Or Wild Kingdom: As Jim grabs the rifle the big cat makes his move. Marlin Perkins watches from a safe distance.

Yup... always Jim. “I’ll just sit here in the Land Rover while Jim goes over and circumcises that Wildebeest. It’s a good thing Jim has trampling and goring insurance fro Mutual of Omaha!”...

So many good childhood tv hours on that...

Sirhr

PS. Those rifles are stunning!