• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Pappy van winkle

clinto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Lubbock, TX
Ive tried talking myself out of attempting to find a bottle but it looks like it’s an itch I’m gonna have to scratch. Anybody have a hook up or a lead on how to acquire one preferably the 15.

Was just at a DU banquet. They sold a 5 bottle collection for $10k.

Ive tried talking myself out of attempting to find a bottle but it looks like it’s an itch I’m gonna have to scratch. Anybody have a hook up or a lead on how to acquire one preferably the 15.
Got $1-2k???

Not a joke. Google it and see what it's going for. It can be had... but the people that have it will rape you vs MSRP. You will not find it anywhere near MSRP.

You may be better going to a whiskey bar and pony up the $35-200 for a shot. Cost is varied depending on which year you want to try (the 15 or 20 year is best), the size of the shot (.75 oz is common, a 1 oz shot will be more) and the venue selling it.

Good luck!

You may just want to plunk down $40-50 for the 12 year Lot B. It's still a good pour.

Reactions: Barneybdb
Got $1-2k???

Not a joke. Google it and see what it's going for. It can be had... but the people that have it will rape you vs MSRP. You will not find it anywhere near MSRP.

You may be better going to a whiskey bar and pony up the $35-200 for a shot. Cost is varied depending on which year you want to try (the 15 or 20 year is best), the size of the shot (.75 oz is common, a 1 oz shot will be more) and the venue selling it.

Good luck!

You may just want to plunk down $40-50 for the 12 year Lot B. It's still a good pour.
a bottle of 23 year is $270 and the 15 year is less.....but you are placed on a lottery system by buffalo trace....the $1-$3k price tags you see are just the markup after the initial purchase.

bench

Reactions: themightytimmah
20190201_162615.jpg

a bottle of 23 year is $270 and the 15 year is less.....but you are placed on a lottery system by buffalo trace....the $1-$3k price tags you see are just the markup after the initial purchase.

bench
I am well aware.

Your money can be spent much much better on booze than anything in the PVW lineup...if you're buying it solely to drink and enjoy. If you're wanting it to put on the shelf and impress people, I get it. But from a pure drinking perspective, everything in the ORVW/PVW lineup is vastly overrated and overpriced (unless you luck out and find one for actual retail price).

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering, current secondary price is around $950 - $1k for the PVW15.

Reactions: mkollman74
Your money can be spent much much better on booze than anything in the PVW lineup...if you're buying it solely to drink and enjoy. If you're wanting it to put on the shelf and impress people, I get it. But from a pure drinking perspective, everything in the ORVW/PVW lineup is vastly overrated and overpriced (unless you luck out and find one for actual retail price).

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering, current secondary price is around $950 - $1k for the PVW15.
and that my friends is why buffalo trace exist!...$25 for a hell of a time

bench

He's referring to getting a bottle of Buffalo Trace and drinking it.
Thought he was referring to the distillery, given that they produce PVW.

But yeah, agreed. WT101 would be my choice in the price range over BT, but can't go wrong.

Isn't PVW just hand picked barrels of Weller's Antique 107 that are separated out and aged longer?

That is what has been reported by several of the whiskey sites.

My own local guy says that Pappy was a really good $70 -$100 whiskey before shit went stupid

Isn't PVW just hand picked barrels of Weller's Antique 107 that are separated out and aged longer?

My own local guy says that Pappy was a really good $70 -$100 whiskey before shit went stupid
That's partially true. All the products in the Van Winkle line are the same distillate and entry proof as the other Weller products (including OWA, Special Reserve, 12, etc). Barrels are selected for each year's release, and certain barrels are set aside for use in the older releases. IMO the best offerings in the current VW line are ORVW (10 year age stated at 107 proof) and PVW15 (also 107), but neither are worth their secondary price tags to me, but value is subjective for each person.

I finished a couple bottles of Antique 107 this summer. It was really good, but I can't imagine Pappy being much better...and certainly not 100's of dollars better.

But, as you say, it's all about personal wants and tastes.

there are a couple places online with the 10 and 15 --- prices start ~ 1250 and up.

Idk E.H. Taylor Single Barrel 2019 is absolutely delicious. I liked it better than Pappy 15yr.. I would never pay the prices for Pappy if I was buying it.
Since it's single barrel, it's a bit of a crap shoot. I've had bottles of EHTSiB that were really good, and some that were really flat. But generally speaking, it's a good buy for the money.

107 Weller is on par to ORVW.
Some single barrels of OWA are, but generally speaking, ORVW is definitely step above the regular shelf OWA, at least IMO.

Reactions: padom and Soulezoo

Tyler above has it just about right.
What I will add is that the Van Winkle family babysits their barrels, they constantly taste the barrels, choose their desired rickhouse spots and the barrels that don't pass their muster will indeed be bottled as various Weller products. The exception is WLW which BT treats with its exclusivity.

Since it's single barrel, it's a bit of a crap shoot. I've had bottles of EHTSiB that were really good, and some that were really flat. But generally speaking, it's a good buy for the money.

Some single barrels of OWA are, but generally speaking, ORVW is definitely step above the regular shelf OWA, at least IMO.
I agree.

Tyler above has it just about right.
What I will add is that the Van Winkle family babysits their barrels, they constantly taste the barrels, choose their desired rickhouse spots and the barrels that don't pass their muster will indeed be bottled as various Weller products. The exception is WLW which BT treats with its exclusivity.
I believe many of the barrels that go into the VW line aren't "VW barrels", but instead come from the general BT wheated stock. I'm also dubious that the Van Winkle family tastes every barrel that goes into each year's release. In 2018, total case count for VW products was around 7,000. That would equate to 800-1000 barrels each year (depending on yield). My hunch is that certain barrels are earmarked midway through maturation to go into VW releases, and they're pulled based on a schedule. Adding to the hunch, I know some barrels that have been selected for PVW are moved to Barton to continue aging, but the barrel heads are still marked as Buffalo Trace implying they're chosen at some point in the maturation cycle and are destined to be in a PVW bottle regardless of how the finished bourbon comes out.

Reactions: TACC
I definitely expect it to not live up to the hype if and when I finally get it but I guess that’s not gonna stop me from trying.

soulezoo, how did you acquire those if you don’t mind me asking?

id like to try the weller antique 107 but it’s nowhere to be seen around here at the liquor stores, is it more available in any of yalls areas?

I definitely expect it to not live up to the hype if and when I finally get it but I guess that’s not gonna stop me from trying.

id like to try the weller antique 107 but it’s nowhere to be seen around here at the liquor stores, is it more available in any of yalls areas?
Texas gets more Weller than any other state. Keep looking and you should find some, may just take some time. Failing that, I can get one for you and ship it your way.

I like good bourbon. I like Yellow Spot Irish single pot still better. Got to be my DNA. Don't get me wrong the Pappy is good but you have folks now buying the stuff that don't know Old Crow from Macallan 25. I have a friend that has 20 bottles of Pappy 15 and his bourbon taste ends at Jim Beam and Coke.....simply because he's got money and heard it was good and trendy.

Reactions: Charger442
I like good bourbon. I like Yellow Spot Irish single pot still better. Got to be my DNA. Don't get me wrong the Pappy is good but you have folks now buying the stuff that don't know Old Crow from Macallan 25. I have a friend that has 20 bottles of Pappy 15 and his bourbon taste ends at Jim Beam and Coke.....simply because he's got money and heard it was good and trendy.
Love a good Irish whiskey. Redbreast Cask Strength is great stuff.

My second go to Irish is Redbreat 15. Great bourbon, whiskey and whisky are all very similar in quality and appreciated in my glass but if i choose its always Irish.

My second go to Irish is Redbreat 15. Great bourbon, whiskey and whisky are all very similar in quality and appreciated in my glass but if i choose its always Irish.
Nothing wrong with that. If I had to choose between all the different types of whiskey, I'm not sure if I could. Top quality rum and Armagnac are in the same discussion for me as well.

Reactions: Soulezoo

I spend a lot of money on booze and establish relationships with managers. I've also been lucky at times.

Sometimes I even get stuff unavailable in the US.

I'd put Old Forrester 1920 against anything from BTAC, and it is actually obtainable @$55. Out of all the PVW, the 15 is typically the best IMO.

I'd put Old Forrester 1920 against anything from BTAC, and it is actually obtainable @$55. Out of all the PVW, the 15 is typically the best IMO.
Buuuut.... you are comparing apples and oranges. The 1920 is great. I am almost through a bottle myself.
The 1920 is a high rye mashbill bourbon that you are comparing to a wheater....

It's not that much removed from comparing Canadian whiskey to Scotch. It's just not the same thing.

Meh, both are bourbon. I do have a couple bottles of OWA and a WLW in the stash. WLW is the best of the BTAC bourbons IMO. I guess I'm not sophisticated enough to separate bourbons by mash bill. That said, I'm not a collector.

Depending on the year, my favorite bourbons from the BTAC lineup are either WLW or GTS. THH can also be fantastic. ER and Saz have been dog shit for several years now.
The 2019 THH was definitely not my favorite.

Love a good Irish whiskey. Redbreast Cask Strength is great stuff.
Irish for the win... Its been my go to for some time now. I certainly have a dram of other varieties, but the Irish is what I reach for most nights.

scotch is my solid go to....but the older I get the more I am drinking speyside vs islay

just dont like the smokiness anymore.....pretty sure I put more than a few lagavulin employees kids through college though.

bench
The smokiness is part if what I like about a good islay. Not for the new Scotch drinker (or faint of heart) but perfect for someone with some experience.

If I'm introducing someone to Scotch then its usually a Speyside like Glennlivet.

Reactions: Barneybdb