• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Parallax setting for .22 competitions

gonzodoc

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2021
Calgary
A newbie question...let's say a stage consisted of 5 targets...one each at 50yds. , 100 yds. , 125 yds. , 175 yds. , and 250 yds. , 2 shots per target. My scope has an adjustable parallax dial. Time doesn't permit me dialing parallax for each individual target. What should I dial my parallax to before I commence the stage?

generally you split the difference or only change the setting where critical for vision of the target

Agreed. I set according to what the smallest target I will be shooting at the closest distance. The parallax is usually forgiving enough for further larger targets.

Reactions: SWgeezer
Second, more importantly is to back the scope power down a bit.

Reactions: CBeck
Assuming you have a consistent cheekweld, or a cheater ring, I’d dial at whatever distance has the targets close to the same focus.

what sort of match wouldn't have time to dial parallax on a 5 target troop line? 30 second stage?

you holding everything in this scenario too?

this is also VERY scope dependent as to what you can get away with parallax wise

what sort of match wouldn't have time to dial parallax on a 5 target troop line? 30 second stage?

you holding everything in this scenario too?

this is also VERY scope dependent as to what you can get away with parallax wise
My club ran NRL22, and PRS/NRL22-X games before settling on MARS events. I’ve seen stage restrictions where you couldn’t adjust your elevation or parallax more than once. Adds yet another challenge to overcome.

A newbie question...let's say a stage consisted of 5 targets...one each at 50yds. , 100 yds. , 125 yds. , 175 yds. , and 250 yds. , 2 shots per target. My scope has an adjustable parallax dial. Time doesn't permit me dialing parallax for each individual target. What should I dial my parallax to before I commence the stage?
If you’re dialing every target just reach over adj parallax and dial or you could get by with 75 then after the 125 adj to 200 parallax

If you’re just doing holdovers then dial parallax on every target so you have options.

That's odd - I've shot matches where you couldn't adjust elevation/windage and had to hold but I've yet to see one where you can't adjust parallax, especially on targets ranging from 50 to 200.

Just saying..

Holdover for these targets would be easy vs. Dialing when on the clock (unless dialing for windage and elevation is not allowed on this stage)

I'm assuming this is prone, unless you're changing positions on each target... Then it might explain why you're worried about not having time...

Running the parallax knob between 50-200 should be fairly quick in my opinion

Just my 2 ¢

Reactions: learjet

You should have plenty of time to adjust the parallax with that stage. Set it at 50 for the first target and then go from there. Practice a little more doing it to get your time down.

If you’re not already using a parallax wheel it may be helpful to you if allowed. Especially for stiff parallax rings. Makes them buttery smooth and easy to adjust. 🍻

I ran into this challenge at a recent match. Bottom line is it only takes, literally, two seconds to adjust the parallax - by feel, not visually.

I just twisted the parallax a little after dialing elevation as I moved to reestablish my cheek weld (I'm late 60s with cataract-surgery'ed eyes so I have to back way off the scope to dial). With my 6-36x scope set to about 15x, all I needed was somewhere close... and adjusting parallax by feel, based on known amounts of twist from one yardage to another, is easily practiced.

Adjustment doesn't have to be precise - unless you're shooting a tiny target up close.

Edit: I only adjusted parallax once, not after every target. Once was enough.

Last edited:
I've shot plenty of stages where time is very tight and don't want to waste time dialing parallax for every target.

If your scope is particularly sensitive you have have to dial it for each target.
Otherwise I'd typically just choose a mid point, If there is a particular target that is difficult or very small then I'd favor that particular target.

In most cases I've come across where time is tight the targets are particularly small, the closer targets have been more than big enough parallax error wouldn't be enough to miss so tend towards the longer range targets, especially if ill need to be holding for wind and/or elevation.

I make sure my furthest targets are in reasonable focus. With the far to near transition, having a fuzzy closer target is less important IMO. Usually its not something crazy like a 35 yard 1/4" KYL transitioned to a 150 gong.

This is the other benefit of buying an Alpha scope like ZCO. The parralax is so forgiving you rarely have to touch it on stage. I just guesstimate before and never have issues.

NRL22/PRS22 is a game where you can buy alot of points with gear. Using great gear will already put you in the top 10-25% of the pack as long as you understand basic positional shooting and have good dope. The ammount of lost points due to gear is astounding in the .22 game.

Oops! Thanks so much for the great info; muchly appreciated.....instead of saying that time doesn't permit me to adjust parallax, what I should've said was for this particular stage, I'm not allowed to adjust anything on the scope at all once the stage has started - everything has to be pre-set...

Reactions: SWgeezer
Oops! Thanks so much for the great info; muchly appreciated.....instead of saying that time doesn't permit me to adjust parallax, what I should've said was for this particular stage, I'm not allowed to adjust anything on the scope at all once the stage has started - everything has to be pre-set...
that would raise several questions as to why an MD would do that

no dialing. sure.
no zoom. sure
no parallax adjustment on a 22 going from close to min parallax (for some scopes it is min) to pretty far out seems beyond silly

no dialing. sure.
no zoom. sure
no parallax adjustment on a 22 going from close to min parallax (for some scopes it is min) to pretty far out seems beyond silly
It’s likely an interpretation deal. MD says no dial, guys hear no touching scope in any way.

End up making it harder on themselves.

Reactions: Rob01 and b6graham

no dialing. sure.
no zoom. sure
The only reason I can see why is making sure competitors know their rifle.

no dialing. sure.
no zoom. sure
You know whats funny, If a MD tried that shit in a match I shot it would be the last match of theirs I shot. If you dont want people to dial, then design a stage with more targets and movement. No Zoom? That's real retarded sir.

Last months NRL22 was such a pile of stupid gimick shit I think I am done with them for a while. After I won the match, let the MD know he needs to switch to PRS22 where there is less retardation.

Reactions: 308pirate
Is that why they created the “X”? I dunno. Just asking. We have PRS Rimfire in our area. Zero NRL.

Reactions: Badjujuu
You know whats funny, If a MD tried that shit in a match I shot it would be the last match of theirs I shot. If you dont want people to dial, then design a stage with more targets and movement. No Zoom? That's real retarded sir.

Last months NRL22 was such a pile of stupid gimick shit I think I am done with them for a while. After I won the match, let the MD know he needs to switch to PRS22 where there is less retardation.
my last NRL22 match was one where you had to shoot from all 3 tips AND all 3 legs of a tank trap

I can appreciate no zoom/windage/elevation on a appropriate designed stage....but no parallax? Really??

Yeah, as a MD I add 2 stages to the monthly 5 they publish and I've added more interesting targets and barricades to our assortment to keep the interest. But yeah, folks getting burned out... I get new comers and it's fun to coach them, but my regular crowd is looking for something more interesting than buckets and ladders

Reactions: Lesptr
That was a fun match! It was by far the best run and laid out rimfire match I have been to. That was my first time going but will go back again, best part was I made the video.

Actually best part was everyone doing their impression of Bob Lee from the boat.

Reactions: Dobermann
That was a fun match! It was by far the best run and laid out rimfire match I have been to. That was my first time going but will go back again, best part was I made the video.

Actually best part was everyone doing their impression of Bob Lee from the boat.
Needs more action and less GoPro edit filter. I ran across the videos on YouTube.

Scopes without parallax adjustment are usually set to 100 yards and have worked fine for years. What it does is make eye placement more important so things are and remain centered. No adjustment means holdovers have to be used so a good drop chart is required.

Reactions: 308pirate
I ran into this recently. 5 positions, 2 shots per. Each position used alternating targets at a different range than the previous position. I dialed elevation and parallax. Got 8 good hits, timed out. In the future I will use holdovers and pick an in between parallax setting to leave it on for the stage. I viewed my process that day choices as match rookie mistakes. I spend a lot of time behind that rifle/scope combination, so I should have trusted my eye position and holdovers.

Reactions: beetroot
We had a stage last weekend with two targets, and three positions, it went Far-Near-Far, move Near-Far-Near, move Far-Near-Far, targets were at 59y and 109y; I dialed for 59y, and set parallax for 109...does that help?

Reactions: Emerson0311
Going back to my previous response about knowing your rifle, set up some random targets at the range and see for yourself. Doesn’t hurt to pregame it for the future.

We have a winner
Leaving 2 hits on the table is only ok if the other top shooters do the same though. My recent match had targets at 25yds and 100. The guy who beat me cleaned the stage by choosing a parallax setting in the middle and holding over, so avoiding any dialing. I will be doing the same next time.

Reactions: JBoomhauer
Leaving 2 hits on the table is only ok if the other top shooters do the same though. My recent match had targets at 25yds and 100. The guy who beat me cleaned the stage by choosing a parallax setting in the middle and holding over, so avoiding any dialing. I will be doing the same next time.
A lot of times winning is knowing what you can get away with rather than doing everything the “right” way.

Reactions: Emerson0311
On the whole: “Whether it’s correct to disallow adjustments”, or anything else folks think is stupid for that matter, maybe I’m wrong, but I ask you to consider this,
1. No one is making you shoot the course. Your in it to win, learn, experience, or just have fun, so roll with it.
2. What the ‘ell you gonna do if that adjustment breaks on match day, or in the real world when you need it? You gonna take what you learned an adapt? Or just tap out?
3. You ever step up and run a match, write whole courses of fire, only to have some whine about it? Match directing is an unpaid labor of love for the sport, remember that.
There was a time when “sportsmanship” was foremost in everyone’s mind, competitors didn’t offer unsolicited criticism of MDs, not out of fear of being DQ’d, but out of good manners, etiquette, and civility.

Stepping off the soap box.

On the whole: “Whether it’s correct to disallow adjustments”, or anything else folks think is stupid for that matter, maybe I’m wrong, but I ask you to consider this,
1. No one is making you shoot the course. Your in it to win, learn, experience, or just have fun, so roll with it.
2. What the ‘ell you gonna do if that adjustment breaks on match day, or in the real world when you need it? You gonna take what you learned an adapt? Or just tap out?
3. You ever step up and run a match, write whole courses of fire, only to have some whine about it? Match directing is an unpaid labor of love for the sport, remember that.
There was a time when “sportsmanship” was foremost in everyone’s mind, competitors didn’t offer unsolicited criticism of MDs, not out of fear of being DQ’d, but out of good manners, etiquette, and civility.

Stepping off the soap box.
At the end of the day, the folks who roll with whatever the requirements are, have more energy to devote to doing good work.

MDs that I’ve met and shot their COF some are shooters in the event and some use to be shooters either way they all still have a passion for the sport pushing the comfort zone and helping you reach another level. I appreciate that. To be honest it’s their game and we learn to play it successfully it to win. I like the challenges of not knowing what to expect till I get there and continue to show up to new events / matches every month. Improvise Adapt and Overcome it makes you a stronger shooter the more matches you attend. Enjoy the journey or the show whatever ticket you buy.