• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Parker Hale sight for my M1917?

Walstr

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2021
SE Wis
Greetings; I'm trying to develop a 2021 hunting load for my son in Idaho. [...gave his .270 to his son for awesome HS grades, then on to college in MT.] We're settled on 180gr Hornady SST and IMR 4451, 54gr-56.5gr, based upon others' Elk & Moose experience with .30-06, etc. [I also have IMR4198 & BL-C(2) if called for.]

That said, I cannot shoot accurately enough to discern which #4451 loading is best for a 100yd zero, much less for use @ 200yd. Using the ladder's peep, slid down, yields such a large sight picture that, well, I can't trust my results @ 50yds. The projectiles are $45ea, so I must make some improvement before proceeding.

I came across a SMLE rifle "precision" rear light called "Parker Hale". Typical rutting 'round Google didn't help me resolve if #1-does it exist? and #2-was it ever used on an M1917? May I tap into your knowledge base? Thanks in advance for any time you give my quandary.

Wally

Attachments

• DSC00142.JPG
    DSC00142.JPG
    413.9 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: ForgeValley
Parker hale made a series of micrometer adjustable rear sights as well as globe type foresight’s, which would be ran with inserts. They are very good quality but I would not suggest using them on a hunting rifle. They are not terrible fragile but they are also not what I would deem “hunting robust “. If you are planning on using it for fullbore matches then they make a great sight though.

Thanks for quick reply. Well, I don't want to put glass on it & mature eyes cannot hold those iron sights on target accurately enough for load development, so IF I can obtain something like this PH5B sight, which seems "era" compatible, I'm sure he'll not be banging it around in the Idaho woods; he's always been disrespectful about clothes & housekeeping, but he respects "tools", especially those of his trade & hunting!

Now, how & where can I be successful in acquiring it? Any other suggestions? Thanks again, Wally

I would think hopping on gunboards forums would probably be productive for you. I’m no expert on the P17’s, I owned a P14 a long time ago but it’s been a minute.
Gunboards has some guys on there that could steer you in the right direction though. Just browse around until you find the M1917/P17 or P14 discussions and see what you can find out. I personally don’t think a sight designed for either a SMLE or the No 4 Mk I would fit the P17.

the Parker hale sight will be an aperture sight just FYI

I found an old Parker hale catalog online and was reading over it. They did make a sight specifically for the P14 which will be the same as the M1917. I will update again if I can figure out which model you should be looking for.

Last edited:
You may want to check out the UK NRA historic arms resource center. I would suggest just emailing them directly unless you want to go through a thousand historic pamphlets and booklets on Parker hale and bsa sights. While dropping into that particular Internet rabbit hole may be fun, it’s not something that I have time for at the moment haha.