• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Parkerized Finish on my rifle barrel

CJC73

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 21, 2020
I have a Rem 700 LTR with a fluted barrel that has the parkerized finish. What's the best way to keep it clean and looking good? It's getting a little dingy and dull color now.

True parkerizing is porous and will dull with time and use but the way to maintain it is to apply a heavy coat of oil, let it sit awhile so the parkerizing can absorb the oil. Add more if necessary. Wipe off excess with a soft rag. Wipe it down periodically with an oily rag to replace what leaches out during use.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJC73
that'll clean it up as well? any type of oil? motor? gun?

It will clean it fairly well. As the oil soaks in it will loosen some of the contaminants.
You can use most any kind of oil but thinner oils will be absorbed better.
Dont use any abrasives to clean it. It's a very durable finish but it can be damaged by abrasive cleaning.
And FWIW, you'll never be able to keep it looking the way it did when new and fresh out of the tank. Park smooths out and darkens from use over time.

Reactions: CJC73
Barricade, Rig, Deep Creep, or Kroil will work fine.

Treat it as a tool than coat it with sweat, tears, blood and cosmoline.

In 60 years it will turn a fantastic olive green that lets you know this is a rifle well used and has earned its respect.

If his barrel makes it 60 yrs, it wasn't well used.

If his barrel makes it 60 yrs, it wasn't well used.

You have a point....

Had my own rifles in mind....they are well used in the sensefor intended task, not abused....

1599142391030.png

1599142425299.png

1599142460499.png

Reactions: JMGlasgow
Really like that stock on the first one.....