• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Passed on this guy last weekend

Scotty22

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Katy, Texas USA
I was sitting in the bow blind last weekend and decided to pass on this deer. There are great deer in the area and I wanted to see what else would come through. It being the last evening to hunt I should have come to full draw but I let him walk.. What do you think he scores and his age? I got him at 120-130 and about 4.5 years old

35jblgw.jpg

21oxzwl.jpg

2ihbhjl.jpg

Re: Passed on this guy last weekend

No the fence is to keep the pork away from the feeders. Its only about 3ft tall. He hoped into the pen fed for alittle bit and decided to lay down and rest for a bit and hopped out. The property is free ranging.

No, I thing they are raising it like a pet in there vegetable garden ?

I think age 3 but alot depends on area (genetics) an the pictures. First picture realy can't see mass but looks good second picture he is narrow but tall. Here is my Questions how many tags do you have and does the bow seasons kills count against rifle season? Because I noticed you said last night, was that last night for you to hunt or last night of bow season? This is my thinking a deer on the table is better then two bigger ones in the woods. But if he is a pet wait until he gets bigger, you might raise a state record ha ha. In my area thats a dead deer.

That was my last evening to hunt for that weekend. The kills count from the beginning of bow season till the end of rifle season. On that lease it is a 2 buck county. Bow hunting or rifle hunting it doesn't matter you are only allowed to kill 2 bucks and one of them has to be a spike or coal buck. I wanted to shoot him but decided to pass him bc I watched a bigger buck earlier that day work does through the front pasture. He never would come in bow range so opening weekend I will try my luck at him with my rifle.

Low 130's and 4.5 years old.....

sure he don't have much width, but from the looks of tine length in the first picture, and being a solid 5X5 ur crazy to think 130ish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sure he don't have much width, but from the looks of tine length in the first picture, and being a solid 5X5 ur crazy to think 130ish.</div></div>

The guy who gave his opinion runs a deer contest every year. He has scored a few....... hundred at this point. Just sayin.

5x5, good tine length, good main beam, not real wide or heavy but I think he's a solid 142"

Age. Pic one shows some of his body. He doesn't look too fat and shaggy and his belly isn't too big. The pic of the side of his face shows a widened jaw which is common in 4.5+. I'd guess 4.5yo

Score. 10pt with about 16" inside spread and main beam length of atleast 18" I bet he goes closer to 140 than you think, unless his mass is just abysmal.

It is hard to judge deer from an area that you don't hunt. I know if I saw him around MS he would be down on the ground for sure.

4.5 yo deer has also reached about 80-85% potential in antler growth. So I've read. That means he may add up to 30 inches by next year. Still I would have stuck him.

Well I didnt think he went as far as 140 but I guesseed him to be in the 130's and about 4.5. The ranch I hunt wants to take deer older then 4.5 and if I happen to see him again this coming weekend I will give you an exact score and age.

that deer only has about a 13-14.5" spread so be careful and check you county.

And hes at least 4.5 more standing pics would have helped

Here is how I will break him down

G1 8"
G2 16"
G3 19"
G4 8"
IS 14"
MB 40"
Mass 26"

total 131

nice buck

Yea the inside spread was a big concern and I wasn't sure about how wide he was I knew ge would be close. But yes he does have to be 13 inside.

Nice looking deer but I agree with your decision to let him walk. He's narrow and age is not likely to change that feature.

I suppose it comes down to what you want as a hunter and what is realistically available in your area. In a lot of areas, he's a shooter but after you kill a few in that class, the others start looking more average.

Only real way to tell for sure you should've arrowed him and found out lol nice looking deer good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that deer only has about a 13-14.5" spread so be careful and check you county.

And hes at least 4.5 more standing pics would have helped

Here is how I will break him down

G1 8"
G2 16"
G3 19"
G4 8"
IS 14"
MB 40"
Mass 26"

total 131

nice buck </div></div>

Can't argue with those numbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oubeta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say 120" max. No way he is 140 </div></div>

That I will disagree with. I am not saying I agree to shoot this deer i am just disagreeing with that number. I hunt in Tx as well and there are not many 2 buck counties that I know of that one of the deers requirements are a cull buck, spike i have heard of but the fact that it can be either or means it is more then likely a lease rule. Also if they have such rules I would assume there practicing good management techniques.

as far as score goes i would give him nearly 120 in tine length and spread alone.
people freak out when they see a narrow buck, but in reality in most cases it will never effect your score more than 4 inches on boone and crocket. will say most mature deer are 17 inches wide for example, go down to 13 or up to 21 either way 4 inches is all it will effect you. My biggest deer on the wall is 14 inches wide but scores 166 3/8 inches i don't think twice about width, sitting next to him is a 22.5 inch wide 9 point that scores almost 30 inches less.

i would agree with LIMBIC but wouldn't see a problem tacking on another 3 or so inches on the G4s and as well as maybe an inch or 2 on the G3's

I would worry about age and management and then decide whether or not you wanna make pope and young, cause he's got a shot

Good luck to you Scotty, also what part of TX is this?

I'd venture a guess that he's an easy 130... I'd agree the mass isn't there, but he's definitely got some length to him and probably more than those photos do him justice.

If he were here in Wisconsin, he'd be down for the count.

Like most others have said, it's really what you're after as a hunter. I'd be willing to bet there would be just as many hunters out there who would let him walk vs. those hunters who would drop him the first second they got.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea, thats hunting. </div></div>

Glad I'm not the only one to think that.

2ihbhjl.jpg

I'm hunting in victoria Texas. The property is 800 acres free ranging. The cage you see the deer sitting in is just too keep the hogs out the deer wasn't trapped. Also this photo was taken in early bow season so there wasn't really any pressure on them at that time. So he got comfortable.