• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Patchworm for cleaning

nakoa01

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2018
Guys I am curious. Most everybody runs a rod and jag of some sort. But do you take your cheek piece down everytime you have to insert the bore guide. I just run a patchworm kit and like it very much. Any reason I shouldn't?

Reactions: Balor
Depends what your cleaning. I clean my AR’s and Savage guns with only a bore snake. The savages actually shoot worse with a good cleaning. I do brush strokes back and forth with a rod in my precision guns. Which obviously you cant do with this or a bore snake or Odis system.

Last edited:
Reactions: doubloon and Balor
I use the Patchworm a lot! The only time I do more is to the clean the chamber. Otherwise, its patchworm. I also use with with cleaning pellets...a match made in heaven.

I use the Patchworm a lot! The only time I do more is to the clean the chamber. Otherwise, its patchworm. I also use with with cleaning pellets...a match made in heaven.
Sounds interesting. Do you use VFG felt pellets with your patchworm or another brand?

I use VFG 22 cleaning pellets. They have a hole down the pellet, so you can thread the pellet onto the patchworm like beads on a string. I usually put a couple of drops of c4 carbon remover or rimfire blend (yikes...maybe not anymore, after reading that article on rimfire cleaning recently), and pull it through. I like it better than pulling patches. I use this on my cz 457 and Kidd 22 action.

I use to take apart the Kidd 22 frequently, but not anymore since I have it on a KRG bravo with rear tang. I dread taking that all apart. I haven't done it yet, so maybe its not so bad...but it definitely won't be quick.

But yes, the VFG pellets + Patchworm is a good setup... very handy too if you are cleaning while on the road for a class or something.

Reactions: MarkCZ and Franko
I use VFG 22 cleaning pellets. They have a hole down the pellet, so you can thread the pellet onto the patchworm like beads on a string. I usually put a couple of drops of c4 carbon remover or rimfire blend (yikes...maybe not anymore, after reading that article on rimfire cleaning recently), and pull it through. I like it better than pulling patches. I use this on my cz 457 and Kidd 22 action.

I use to take apart the Kidd 22 frequently, but not anymore since I have it on a KRG bravo with rear tang. I dread taking that all apart. I haven't done it yet, so maybe its not so bad...but it definitely won't be quick.

But yes, the VFG pellets + Patchworm is a good setup... very handy too if you are cleaning while on the road for a class or something.
Much appreciated. I already use VFG for my regular needs so going to buy a patchworm or two and see how I like em.

I use VFG 22 cleaning pellets. They have a hole down the pellet, so you can thread the pellet onto the patchworm like beads on a string. I usually put a couple of drops of c4 carbon remover or rimfire blend (yikes...maybe not anymore, after reading that article on rimfire cleaning recently), and pull it through.
What was the article about? Something to do with the rim fire blend? Curious as I use both of those products.

I use the Patchworm mostly on my KIDD build because I am to lazy to break it down to use a cleaning rod. Try to use a rod once a year. I also use a chamber cleaning tool by a company called Gunsmither that I found on RFC. I also use the VFG pellets.

Reactions: Pkdmslf

Where’s this article?

I also use the patchworm with the pellets and it's great.. I will say the pellets will not creep down into the rifling like patches will IF you use the patch with the black ring on the patchworm. I believe it's actually a good thing to leave that stuff in the bottom anyway, like the article says, that is just seasoning. The pellets will get down in there some, you can feel the twist as you pull it out, just not spic and span like the patch.

I use rimfireblend. It gets things super clean. I like mpr7 stuff too. The gels are okay. They don't do squeaky clean. The c4 doesn't seem to either. I can run a wet patch of rimfire blend and still get stuff on it after.

I clean after every outing. I use to just run a patch. But the smith that built my v22s said after every 75 rounds clean it. Run c4 first to help break carbon down then rimfire blend. And he said don't wait til it sits overnight for the ring to harden either. Nylon brush rotated in the chamber every 250 or so.

Vudoo has a video where a guy asks Mike Bush about cleaning. I have followed that regimen since. But typically I clean after every session. That's typically 100rds or so. I have a cz that falls apart after 200rds. Run a boresnake and it's back on track again.

Last edited:
I tried the Otis pull through system. What I didn't like is that it's difficult to keep the cord centered and not rubbing on one side of the muzzle. Is patchworm somehow better in this regard?

I use a patchworm with my rimfires and clean every 250-300 rounds . I figure the frequent cleaning will keep the bore clean and prevent any lead or fouling build up. And using a patchworm or similar item ( I also have an Otis pull through in .17 cal that I use for my .22's) along with patches and a good bore solvent is very easy on the bore.

I use a patchworm with my rimfires and clean every 250-300 rounds . I figure the frequent cleaning will keep the bore clean and prevent any lead or fouling build up. And using a patchworm or similar item ( I also have an Otis pull through in .17 cal that I use for my .22's) along with patches and a good bore solvent is very easy on the bore.
I made this to keep the string centered on the bore.

Attachments

• 8637B150-800A-4E9A-A576-6BDE6EECFDA8.jpeg
    8637B150-800A-4E9A-A576-6BDE6EECFDA8.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 3F98CCEA-35AE-4644-AAB7-AAB7160673D6.jpeg
    3F98CCEA-35AE-4644-AAB7-AAB7160673D6.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 73
I made this to keep the string centered on the bore.
Interesting. I use a straw (cut to about 4”) that I insert part way into the bore.

If your straws are too big in diameter, use a razor blade to make a twisting/curling cut lengthwise over the straw’s whole length. This way you can sort of twist it to collapse the straw’s diameter down. The twisting cut limits the chance that the line will pop out of the straw and rub the crown.

Here’s a couple of my reviews and techniques on using the Patchworm, especially with 17 and 20 cal bores and pellets:

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/vfg-pellets.4090110/post-38716841

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/bore-guide-myth.7183314/#post-11051757

I use the Patchworm mostly on my KIDD build because I am to lazy to break it down to use a cleaning rod. Try to use a rod once a year. I also use a chamber cleaning tool by a company called Gunsmither that I found on RFC. I also use the VFG pellets.
I've been using the Patchworm along with the VFG pellets for the past 10 years along with Gunsmither chamber brushes. Takes care of my chamber and barrel cleaning needs. I have bore rods and jags but I never use them as I haven't had a need to.

Reactions: Lastsaint21