• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Patriot Valley Arms - best in the east - new thread on old forum

jbailey

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2010
Arlington VA
bumping this one up from the scout forum. It was 8 pages long there with lots of great pics.

I will get this new thread on the new old forum going by reposting my post from the scout site. Hopefully others will join along with some of that great content.

---

Here is my PVA rifle on the newly installed Josh-inspired tractor tire obstacle on my farm.

Stats on the PVA rifle:
  • 6x47L chambered with Josh's best reamer - he has thought out each dimension
  • Big Horn action
  • 24" Hawk Hill barrel 8 twist. Not sure on the contour. This barrel blank was from Josh's pile of best barrels from Hawk Hill.
  • Manners T2, w/ mini chassis and my well used Triad Tac stock pad.
  • LRA bipod - again another piece of kit Josh recommended.
  • Premier 5-25x Gen2 XR
  • APA LB Gen2 brake
  • Jewell at 1.5lbs.
Shoots the 105gr Hybrids at 3000fps, +/- 10fps (39.0gr H4350 lit by CCI BR4). Recoil feels like a BB gun. Plenty of splash at 700 and stacks the pills in the same hole at that range.

IMG_1787_zpshsfuzwhb.jpg

Josh is doing a build for me right now.i just don't know how he gets his work done and answer all the questions he gets asked from us.The man has to be super human.

My rifle is ready on the FedEx truck right now. Josh installed a 6.5 CM prefit barrel on my Tikka T3X in a McMillan A3-5. Very excited. Josh is an amazing guy with tons of knowledge and always ready to answer any question you have. As soon as I get my rig will be posting pictures.

I'm waiting on a build as well, he's been super helpful to me and answered a ton of questions.. I think by doing that, he separates himself from a lot of other smiths.. I'm excited to say the least about my build, I know she'll be a shooter...

I got to get a pic up of my latest PVA mad scientist madness: a 308 that runs with traditional 300Win Mags:

30" barrel, long action, mag feed 198gr Flatlines (G1 BC ~0.8) at 2750 fps. Will put that ballistically up against any Berger bullet load out of a 300 WinMag.

Josh is pushing the industry forward... gunsmithing AND bulletsmithing

Josh re-barreled my Surgeon to 6x47L & DLC'ed the bolt. Bartlein 1:8, RemVar @ 23". Its threaded for a brake, but I've been shooting it without, as its such a honey. I did the bedding job into an A3 with jducos KMW hardware install. CG Mod 22 trigger, Surgeon DBM, Atlas bipod, Premier 5-25...

My newest rifle from Josh. He did a rebarrel on my .223. Got the scope back on it and it's ready to go to the range this weekend. Don't have any handloads ready to shoot yet but have some .223 factory match ammo so that should work to get some rounds down the barrel. Another great job by Josh as usual.

zi1fqdn.jpg

Best in the East, and good enough to get the business of us shooters out West too! Looking forward to my PVA build.

Josh is SUPER knowledgeable, and very patient and willing to give a full explanation about things. Most smiths won't do that; but, he's also a college educated engineer too so I'm sure it turns him on to explain the science behind things.

I got to get a pic up of my latest PVA mad scientist madness: a 308 that runs with traditional 300Win Mags:

30" barrel, long action, mag feed 198gr Flatlines (G1 BC ~0.8) at 2750 fps. Will put that ballistically up against any Berger bullet load out of a 300 WinMag.

Josh is pushing the industry forward... gunsmithing AND bulletsmithing

Please do, interested in seeing this and hearing range reports!

Rob01 what are the specs on that build? I just sent Josh a Tikka barreled action for a .223 Rem build.

Specs:
Manners TF3A with mini chassis
Rem 700 with Badger bolt knob
20" Kreiger 7.7 twist barrel in M24 contour .223 Rem caliber with a Wylde style throat
PVA Mad Scientist brake
Seekins rings and 20 MOA base
Vortex PST FFP 6-24x50

Plan on loading up Hornady 75 ELD-Ms for it but waiting for them to come in. Can't wait to get it to the range so going to shoot some factory ammo this weekend.

Got my rifle from PVA yesterday. Josh did an awsome work!

Tikka T3X receiver
PVA Tikka prefit nut barrel, 6.5 CM 24" Medium Palma
PVA Mad Scientist muzzle brake
McMillan A3-5
EGW 20 MOA rail
Vortex Precision Match rings
Vortex Razor AMG 5-24x50 EBR-7

Attachments

• photo46919.jpg
    photo46919.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 39
Got out today with the .223 and shooting Hornady 75grn Steel Match ammo that I use for 3 gun matches. I need to change out the trigger as it's about 3.7 pounds and all my other are about 2 so it feels heavy and a guy blasting with an AR next to me had me pull one to the right(arrow pointing to it in pic) but I am happy with the performance and can't wait to get loading the 75grn ELD-M for it. I also shot at a piece of steel at 400 yards but didn't want to walk out in the snow. 5 shots where about .2 mils wide from edge to edge of the splash on the steel so the shots were inside that. Probably put them in about 2" range. I am very happy with this rifle!

xArWdVE.jpg

Reactions: pizfiz
Rob, she sure looks like a shooter, really good for factory fodder.. Can't wait to see what she does with your hand loads.. Beautiful rifle by the way..

Yeah I was more than happy. If steel cased, mass produced ammo shot like that then I can't wait to get some handloads in it. Honestly I would be happy if it shot the same LOL

Thanks.

Got my 308 Long Action PVA out today on my farm. 198gr Flatlines shots lights out on precision and wind deflection at 800yds (longest lane I have internal at the farm). Was impacting with 0.5mil LESS windage than my buddy's 6.5x47L w/ 140gr Bergers. So much for 308 put out to pasture by 6.5mms!

Got my 308 Long Action PVA out today on my farm. 198gr Flatlines shots lights out on precision and wind deflection at 800yds (longest lane I have internal at the farm). Was impacting with 0.5mil LESS windage than my buddy's 6.5x47L w/ 140gr Bergers. So much for 308 put out to pasture by 6.5mms!

For now, but I'm sure that Josh and Warner tool has a 6.5 in that same type of projectile on the horizon..Then what's the 308 gonna do? LOL...

For now, but I'm sure that Josh and Warner tool has a 6.5 in that same type of projectile on the horizon..Then what's the 308 gonna do? LOL...

The do, there was a post on facebook with one weighing in the low 120 grain range a while back. Pretty excited to see what they come up with.

Based on some quick, napkin type calculations;

198 Flatline at 2800 has a BC*MV factor of 2184 (Including his BC being corrected for being several hundred FPS off the 3000fps mark it was acoustically measured at)
180 Flatline at 2950 is appx 2050
121 Flatline at 3200 (my current 26" 6.5 Creedmoor test load) is 1968

So the big 30c in the 308 still wins, the mag fed 6.5 mm will have the lightest recoil and run in a short action but for now it's not going to beat the 30" 308

Which G7 BC would be correct for the 198 Flatline at 24-26" 308 speeds? Considering setting my 308 up for those, although the short action would be a handicap.

This was yesterday shooting my Tikka T3X with the PVA prefit nut in 6.5 CM with factory Hornady 140gr ELD-M.
Target was at 519 yards, the upper line of shots were playing with the windage turret, the three shots group at the bulls eye measures 2.3". This rifle is awesome. Thanks Josh.

b8a3981fe810db4869eb59942eeee578.jpg

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

This was yesterday shooting my Tikka T3X with the PVA prefit nut in 6.5 CM with factory Hornady 140gr ELD-M.
Target was at 519 yards, the upper line of shots were playing with the windage turret, the three shots group at the bulls eye measures 2.3". This rifle is awesome. Thanks Josh.

b8a3981fe810db4869eb59942eeee578.jpg

That's great shooting Danny, which barrel company did you use for your pre-fit?

Which G7 BC would be correct for the 198 Flatline at 24-26" 308 speeds? Considering setting my 308 up for those, although the short action would be a handicap.

Sir,
Josh gave me an estimated G7 BC of .385 for 2750-ish MVs. And its good for me out to 800yds (max range internal to my farm). Does that mean its a solid number? No, not yet.

I would strongly advise against running the 198s in a short action, at least if you are magazine feeding They are really long and at 2.95", the case and bullet will not be optimized for each other. I'm running my 198s in a long action, and magazine feeding with long action magazines (MagPul 30-06 PMAGs - awesome by the way). The load is 3.360" OAL!

Josh's 180gr Flatlines might be a better choice - I was loading those at 3.15" and you probably could get away with loading that in a magazine in a short action. In fact, I'm pretty sure Lowlight was doing so, out of his 20" AI. He published a great review of them on the old Scout site.

As far as the 6.5mm Flatlines, they will be flat as a laser, but they will carry more wind deflection than the 198s loaded long and sent at respectable MVs.

That's great shooting Danny, which barrel company did you use for your pre-fit?

Thanks. Barrel is a PVA pre-fit Tikka T3 with a barrel nut, 6.5 CM 8' twist rate Medium Palma finished at 24" with a PVA Mad Scientist muzzle brake made by Spencer/Masterpiece. Josh at PVA has them in stock.
The barrel nut fit and finishing on a McMillan A3-5 (Tikka T3 factory inleting) is perfect, if you don't look well you won't even notice that there is a nut between the barrel and the receiver. I sent my old barreled action to Josh in order for him to remove the old barrel and install the new prefit. The turnaround from PVA was really fast.
As I said before the rifle is extremely accurate, the repeatability is incredible, where you aim it will impact, the only way you miss a shot is because of an error of the operator (LOL in this case myself)
I will recommend this product to anyone who wants to have a faster way to swap barrels and to those who just want to get a new barrel even though they are not looking for a nut system.

Last edited:

See what James says above;

The .385 G7 is based on appx 2500-2600fps launch velocity.
If you can get it closer to 3000fps the BC comes up substantially due to how Cd curves behave.

I suspect as James gets out past 800yd the 385 is going to show itself to be 3-4% conservative as he's closer to 2800fps than he is 2500fps.

Jbailey and Bohem; thanks for your feedback. I do not plan to shoot the Flatlines from a magazine, it will be single shot only. But I will look into the 180s as well for sure. .35 G7 at what, 2800 fps is deadly from a 308. But I am surprised that the BC is so much lower for the 198 (0.385 vs 0.43) at slower MVs. Is there something about solids that make them more prone to this than lead core bullets?

Can't wait to get my 22Creed BA from Josh. TL3 with Krieger Med Palma @ 20"

Man, I love the sound of that!!! Been doing a little reading about some guys running the 22 Creed with 80 grain bergers I do believe... Sounds fun.....

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":" photo 20170219_122827_zpsbnhu7byq.jpg","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"562","width":"1000","src":"http:\/\/i242.photobucket.com\/albums\/ff99\/Eagle1899\/20170219_122827_zpsbnhu7byq.jpg"}[/IMG2]

My own PVA rifle from Josh!!! BigHornTL3, Hawk Hill, PVA Mad Scientist Brake, VZ Grip, LRA Bipod, Timney Two Stage, Vortex 15-60x, American Rifle Rings, Chambered in 308

Top Quality Work from Josh and PVA!!!! This thing is a Hammer!!!! I'm using it for F-T/R and Cast Bullet Benchrest

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":" photo 20170219_122827_zpsbnhu7byq.jpg","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"562","width":"1000","src":"http:\/\/i242.photobucket.com\/albums\/ff99\/Eagle1899\/20170219_122827_zpsbnhu7byq.jpg"}[/IMG2]

My own PVA rifle from Josh!!! BigHornTL3, Hawk Hill, PVA Mad Scientist Brake, VZ Grip, LRA Bipod, Timney Two Stage, Vortex 15-60x, American Rifle Rings, Chambered in 308

Top Quality Work from Josh and PVA!!!! This thing is a Hammer!!!! I'm using it for F-T/R and Cast Bullet Benchrest

OK, you guys are starting to get to me.... The wait is almost over though, can't wait...

ANTICIPATION!!!!!!!!!!!! The TL3 barrled action in 6 dasher comes in tomorrow. Cant wait to see and hold this beauty!

Nice, congrats! Our PRS Club season kicks off next week and I'm itching to get my TL-3 Dasher. Soon, baby, soon!

Well I lasted all of 5 minutes at home and started putting the barreled action from Josh into the McRees chassis and topping it with the glass. She now sits next to her twin in 308 waiting to load fireforming brass. Can't wait to get her out and play....
Josh thanks for the amazing work and turn around.

Attachments

• photo48697.jpg
    photo48697.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 54
  • photo48698.jpg
    photo48698.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 29
  • photo48699.jpg
    photo48699.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 31
Mine was getting ready for cerakote last time I spoke to Josh, can't wait, should be home real soon..

I plan on getting a RPR barrel from Josh after I burn out mine! I've been seen unbelievable results from his customers!

Reactions: rspeer
Well I lasted all of 5 minutes at home and started putting the barreled action from Josh into the McRees chassis and topping it with the glass. She now sits next to her twin in 308 waiting to load fireforming brass. Can't wait to get her out and play....
Josh thanks for the amazing work and turn around.

Str8shot, welcome to shooting what feels like a BB gun on recoil, but with all the big gun ballistics. Really nice setups.

Str8shot, welcome to shooting what feels like a BB gun on recoil, but with all the big gun ballistics. Really nice setups.

LOL Cant tell you how much I'm looking forward to getting behind this and really seeing how far behind a platform my shooting really is. This will definitely be a far more capable rifle then I am a shooter. The crown jewel in my stable.

Very nice looking rifle! What kind of pistol grip are you using? My build should be ready in a few weeks and I can't wait to shoot it!

Updating group on my PVA 308 "special" project rifle-

Had the rifle out to 1255 yds now and it is producing magnum-like ballistics in the real world, matching Josh's and my paper ideas.

Details as follows:

Rifle built by PVA:
- 308 on long action Big Horn
- 30" Hawk Hill barrel in 8.7twist
- mag feeding from Manners mini-chassis plus MagPul 30-06 polymer mags (really slick product, huge improvement over the AIs)
- LRA bipod
- 5-25x Premier Tactical

Cartridge load:
- 308 Palma brass from Lapua
- 2000MR powder (yes, temp sensitive, but I know the change with temp and its very consistently changing)
- 198gr Flatline bullet loaded to 3.360" OAL

Sends the 198gr's at 2750 (60*F), mid-single digit SD. Josh and I estimate G7 BC is somewhere in the 0.411 range sent at that MV (its higher if you are sending it faster at muzzle) and barrel twist. 0.411 is getting me first round, perfectly centered on the vertical plane, hits at 1255yds.

Those ballistics will run with any of the Berger 30 cals sent at magnum velocities. It is shooting well inside of all 6mm and 6.5mm offerings on the windage plane.

This was yesterday 3 shots at 100 yards with my Tikka T3X with a 6.5 CM 24" PVA barrel nut installed by Josh on a McMillan A3-5, AMG scope. Awesome job.

a1588c7f3b2daeb5e8dcde12d0807030.jpg