• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PC or Mac

chawk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Eastern Shore, MD
I know next to nothing about computers. What are the pros and cons of these two systems? Any input would be appreciated.

Re: PC or Mac

I am a PC guy, but my wife broke her laptop and when she got a new one she picked up a MAC that is all aluminum from what I can tell. Supposedly you can just keep updating hardware and stuff on the frame to maybe help get your moneys worth. Sounds like Salesman BS to me but meh she gets what she wants. I have messed with a bit and the OS seems ok but its new and weird to me.

I am sure some of the more computer Savvy guys will chime in but I can only offer a simpletons opinion of them which the Mac seems gtg just piddling here and there. I prefer my PC just cause I am familiar with it.

Depends on what its use will be. Standard email, internet, and photos....Apple all the way. Although many devices/products are gaining Apple compatibility, if you want to ENSURE compatibility with just about everything and aren't sure what its primary use will be, I'd stick with a PC. If you plan on gaming, PC....there aren't many games available for Mac (at least at general electronics stores like Best Buy).

I think its crazy to buy anything but an Apple. I used to be a PC only guy. Then my wife decided that she wanted an apple for graduate school. We have had her MacBook Air for 2 years now, and it runs just as fast and smooth as the day we got it. Over the past 2 years I have replaced every computer in our house with Apples. Apple designs their own hardware, and has it built to their exact specs. They also write their own operating systems. And every program designed to run on a Mac has to be given the "OK" from Mac prior to sale. So basically you have a machine built by Mac, running software specifically designed to run on Mac hardware components. The result is a super smooth and fast, and VIRUS FREE experience. I will NEVER buy anything else. Just my .02

Thanks for the replies so far.

My reason for posting the initial question is that my wife's PC has taken a dump, unexpectedly. All our things that were saved in "my documents" are gone, all our pictures are gone, the user settings are back to default. This is the second PC i've had over the years that worked fine one minute and then was done the next.

We don't use it for anything fancy, so we don't need the very latest and greatest. Reliability is my main concern. We use it mostly for internet access and pictures. Neither of us are in to any computer games. The only thing is my wife is taking some classes and needs things like word, excel, power point, etc. I don't know how much trouble she would have learning apples version of these programs. She also uses quickbooks.

More input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Windows PC:
+Plays well in academic and business environments.
+Broader mass appeal = more software titles.
+Excellent performance for the $
- Malware and Virus magnets

Mac:
+Preferred by graphic artists, musicians, video editors, and pretentious drinkers of $6 coffees
+Excellent hardware and build quality
+Less susceptible to viruses and malware, but not immune
-overpriced
-fewer software tiles
-problematic in business environments

Linux PC:
+Free operating system and applications
+Easily installed and configured on most hardware
+Nearly virus and malware proof
-Less support in business and academic environments
-Virtually no commercial software title support

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The result is a super smooth and fast, and VIRUS FREE experience. I will NEVER buy anything else. Just my .02 </div></div>

Jig Stick,

Please elaborate on this... Apple computers aren't susceptible to viruses?

Thanks
C

I just bought a new MacPro 15 inch laptop for Lori. This is our second Apple product. I now use the old iBookG4 which is 4 years old but still does fine for my needs. They just tend to last with out any major problems. Everything I run at work is Microsoft based (XP still), I'm a programmer.

As tucker301 said above, they are more expensive.

Maxwell

I had a hard drive failure once on my old Powerbook g4. Probably due to rather rough treatment versus any fault of the company.

I have never had issues since started using Macs back in 2004. In all likelihood, I would probably be still happily using the Powerbook g4 had it not met an unfortunate end via an angry wife.

My Macbook, purchased in early 2009, has functioned flawlessly and I never have issues.

Are Mac's susceptible to viruses? Yes. Just not nearly as much as Windows based platforms.

Have I ever had a virus on any of my Macs, despite not caring what sites I click on? Nope. "Known Dangerous Page" warning? Who cares. click click.

If you're not a computer technician with the tools and knowledge needed to diagnose and fix yourself, get a Mac.

I use a MAC and I do everything I used to do on a PC on my MAC. The MAC just does it faster and with less problems. I will agree there are applications that you will only run on a PC but since I do not use them I am cool with it. Additionally if I need to I can run boot camp and Windows. My MAC allows me to do all the development work I did on a PC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you're not a computer technician with the tools and knowledge needed to diagnose and fix yourself, get a Mac.
</div></div>

I work in the guts of PC's and on Microsoft products(XP and Server 2k3) every day, and I still vote for Mac. I've come to enjoy coming home and firing up my MacBook Pro and not have to deal with the BS of a PC. More and more software is becoming available on Mac, and the few things that aren't can be run on Parallels or Bootcamp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o0synge0o</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I work in the guts of PC's and on Microsoft products(XP and Server 2k3) every day, and I still vote for Mac. I've come to enjoy coming home and firing up my MacBook Pro and not have to deal with the BS of a PC. More and more software is becoming available on Mac, and the few things that aren't can be run on Parallels or Bootcamp. </div></div>

This all the way. I spend my time supporting PC's and it is refreshing not having to deal with headaches at home after dealing with them at work

homosexual-demotivational-poster-12.jpg

If you enjoy working on computers the same way you would an old muscle car being driven as an everyday comuter car, then get a PC. If you would prefer to open the box plug it in and all but forget about then get a MAC. MACs are not perfect. They can get viruses they can implode, but the odds are far less. When you have a problem you call apple. You aren't goin to get the pc maker telling you to call microsoft, and microsoft telling you to call the manufacturer. Its simple and clean. Compatability is nearly seamless now. Microsoft office runns well on macs. Networking is way easier on macs. The fact is MACS are expensive. They are trendy and you ppay some for that. They spend as much tim developing the packaging everything comes in as microsoft spent on designing vista. But here is theother thing MACS tend to last longer. Fewer budget parts like in gateways, dells, emachines and campaqs, the software is cleaner with fewer reduncey of files and far fewer memory leaks which means the system will run faster longer. Most PCks depending on usage to maintain performance require regular maintance just like the old muscle car. For a computer they often means reinstalling software wiping drives and all sorts of things. MACs just run! I have an 8 year old powerbook that I told my wife when it dies ill get a new one...it won't die! I have to IBM laptops from work that are half the age of the MAC and the MAC runs rings around them. Just like optics, just like rifles, buy oonce cry once, trust me you won't regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know next to nothing about computers. </div></div>

MAC.

While I will argue all day that Windows 7 is as easy and stable as a MAC, you buy a computer from Costco or someplace like that and it has 10,000 CRAP programs installed on it and you deal with it while they expire or ask for money. Not many people want to mess with uninstalling them and cleaning the system out. (FYI a MAC leaves as much crap behind in it's registry and file system).

Then your antivirus expires because they too want money.

If you are not smart enough to buy a barebones computer, slick it and put Win7 and your cusotm apps on it then get a MAC.

Although it only takes about 4 mouse clicks to install Win 7..

And I mean no disrespect by that, some people want simplicity.

I prefer the gazillion options Windows 7 has in it, and am spending vast amounts of time exploring it at an Administrators level connected to a domain (and oh boy I'm like a kid in a candy store).

But again simplicity for you, get a MAC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I prefer the gazillion options Windows 7 has in it, and am spending vast amounts of time exploring it at an Administrators level connected to a domain (and oh boy I'm like a kid in a candy store).
</div></div>

On the off chance that you don't already know about it...

God Mode

Tucker - thanks- I had something like that in Win95 but that is the first I've played with it. Pretty awesome - detailed shortcuts -

You can do all of that in separate places but it's sweet having it in one centralized location.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All our things that were saved in "my documents" are gone, all our pictures are gone, the user settings are back to default. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure there's a virus floating around out there that does this. The same thing happened to a friend's notebook. All of their pictures, movies, music and other files were wiped and the notebook went back to factory default.

If you have another PC or know someone else with a PC, there's a piece of software called "get data back", and since this is a Windows machine it should be NTFS--use that option. Take the HDD out and either install it in another computer or put it in an external enclosure. After the program is installed, and after the computer recognizes the HDD, run the app and have it look through the defective HDD.

The reason you can do this is because when a file is deleted, it's not really gone, it's still on the HDD but now you can write something over it. The software "get data back" lets you view these files and recover it. There will be instances where there are only fragments left, something was written over a small portion. In those cases it's difficult to recover, and I hear the software used to recover it is not only expensive, but not gurateed to work. I have zero experience with these so I can't say one way or another.

After you have recovered the data you wanted, reformat the drive and either reinstall windows or use it as a back up drive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My reason for posting the initial question is that my wife's PC has taken a dump, unexpectedly. All our things that were saved in "my documents" are gone, all our pictures are gone, the user settings are back to default.
</div></div>

This sounds as though you're using a new or different user profile.
Check the following paths for the existence of other profiles.

Windows XP C:\Documents and Settings\<span style="font-style: italic">Username</span>
Windows Vista or Windows 7 C:\Users\<span style="font-style: italic">Username</span>

Tucker301 & ArcticLight are the gurus on this topic. From a technophobic person - I will tell you I love my MacBook Air, although my IT guy keeps shaking his head on why I don't use my Dell XPS more "its such a great machine & can do such much"- its because on opening one non-important e-mail from a friend I got a trojan that complete erased all contents on my Dell including my Quickbooks of 3 years. Dell was happy to replace the motherboard (empty of course), I got everything re-installed but by not regularly backing up my net damage was about 7K. So, yes although Macs aren't immune as Tucker301 states, its just a matter of percentages and I love my MacBookAir - about 3lb. There are some things you can't do on Mac - especially government type things like IRS or SSA dept. stuff, but still if I had to re-do my office from scratch it would be Mac.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">If you are not smart enough</span> to buy a barebones computer, slick it and put Win7 and your cusotm apps on it then get a MAC.</div></div>

Or, if you want to be amazed by a piecemeal copycat OS with features that are <span style="font-style: italic">almost</span> as good as Panther, get a PC with Win7.

"I think its crazy to buy anything but an Apple. "

i second this.

if you are into games, etc go PC.
if you do anything else that any average person does, go mac. you will have no where near the amount of headaches and hours and hours of fixing problems, crashes, or visits to the computer repair shop.

all that needs to be said is my family got their first computer in 1999 and got online. within 2 years the computer was at the shop twice, and had to have everything wiped clean and reinstalled due to viruses atleast 3 times during that time period. i got a mac in 2001 and never had a moments trouble at all since. while my parents were running a PC the last 10 years, they went through 3 computers, roughly 8 repair shop drop offs, 5 geek guys coming to their house. and i havent had one problem. i recently upgraded to a new imac about 6 months ago from my old dual processor g4 and am still running like a champ while their new computer they got last year is bogged down with viruses.

macs are not virus proof, however, its safe to say hardly any mac user has them or has had them.
pc's arent even necessarily cheaper. to get a PC equipped like a similar model mac, you are essentially looking at the same price.

believe me, if you want fairly hassle free computer use, plug in and go with a mac. its that simple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This sounds as though you're using a new or different user profile.
Check the following paths for the existence of other profiles.

Windows XP C:\Documents and Settings\<span style="font-style: italic">Username</span>
Windows Vista or Windows 7 C:\Users\<span style="font-style: italic">Username</span> </div></div>

This works... I can find and access all our old files by using the c:\users\...

But if I try to switch users, it says it's logging in to the correct username, but it loads as the default.

I notice that when looking under the C:\users\username, i see the username as well as TEMP.username-pc.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All,

Thanks for the input and suggestions. We just picked up a Mac. </div></div>

You made the right choice ...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All,

Thanks for the input and suggestions. We just picked up a Mac. </div></div>

Shrewd... get a MAC never look back.

Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell LowLight, but i even got one and I run an all windows network for 60 guys! I have to run BootCamp for some specialty programs, but with a 500gb drive and 8gb of ram it works pretty good. The 27 inch Cinema display is pretty damn nice also, I just wish they offered it in non-glare for those of us who work in florescent lighting all day.

we have been out here for two months and three macs have got the spinning circle of death. like straight up DIED! now i know they have a good warranty but none of our PC's have had problems, but three almost brand new macs have shit the bed. i want to get a mac but this has seriously swayed me.

Been using a mac for two years now and have never had any problems. Also bought a new PC desktop t the same time and I don't think I have even turned it on in the last 12 months. Macs just work and it seems you never have the constant problems like you do with a PC.

I have a number of PC based laptops....... And then I went to a MAC.

All I can say is....... Once you go MAC you'll never go BACK!!!!!!!!!..LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> its because on opening one non-important e-mail from a friend I got a trojan that complete erased all contents on my Dell including my Quickbooks of 3 years. Dell was happy to replace the motherboard (empty of course), I got everything re-installed but by not regularly backing up my net damage was about 7K. </div></div>

$7000 kills relationships...this person still your friend?

I'm wondering how many people here have used Ubuntu. I showed a co-worker(who's a die hard Mac guy) what Ubuntu and dual boot was, and now he's slowly migrating, running both Linux and Windows 7--Windows for work, Linux for everything else. You don't need to be "tech savvy" to use Ubuntu or dual boot. It's just following some on screen instructions and you're set.

For those who have never seen what a free OS can do, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8gWP_CGTpA.

Ask your best friend who is computer-literate what he uses. Buy one of the same. If you're that unfamiliar with them, what's more important than the brand is that you've got someone who can show you the ropes and who you can call without waiting on hold for 45 minutes to ask all your noob questions to and hope to get an answer from a native English speaker.

Tucker is right about that user profile.

One minor annoyance Windows 7 has is that SOME TIMES yyou log in and it doesn't find or use your profile.

Log back out and log back in, without restarting - you may find your stuff (icons too) are back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tucker301 & ArcticLight are the gurus on this topic. From a technophobic person - I will tell you I love my MacBook Air, although my IT guy keeps shaking his head on why I don't use my Dell XPS more "its such a great machine & can do such much"- its because on opening one non-important e-mail from a friend I got a trojan that complete erased all contents on my Dell including my Quickbooks of 3 years. Dell was happy to replace the motherboard (empty of course), I got everything re-installed but by not regularly backing up my net damage was about 7K. So, yes although Macs aren't immune as Tucker301 states, its just a matter of percentages and I love my MacBookAir - about 3lb. There are some things you can't do on Mac - especially government type things like IRS or SSA dept. stuff, but still if I had to re-do my office from scratch it would be Mac. </div></div>

If Dell did not replace the hard drive on it and did not re-format/delete partitions I may still be able to recover that data for you.

In fact if you PM me I may be able toshow you how to do it with a program I use. Depending how long it's been.

You MAC guys- search the phrase "IAVA" - there are some mac attacks out now - a lot of hackers are moving towards MAC now that apple is a leader in the industry.

And there's only been ONE virus that is out where I "Suggest" we slick the machine, it's less time. But I ALWAYS back up the customers data first, if I do that (Windows security center virus)....the repair process is longer than the reinstall process.

Both parties are correct though, except when you take a MAC to the computer store for a hardware failure it's going to cost you twice as much. But they are simpler for simpler tasks, business use etc...

I do like WIn 7 though, except on my laptop where the touchpad mouse always drops to the lower rightcorner and minimizes this window while I'm typing LOL

I used to be a die hard PC guy since I played a lot of games when I was younger. But I haven't really picked up any games for the last 6-7 years or so. The PC worked fine but was getting outdated. So my fiance suggested that we get a Mac for our next computer. I was initially against it because it's a totally new operating system that I don't feel that I have the time to relearn. But we got it anyways because she HIGHLY insisted.

After using the Mac for over a year now, I don't think that I can go back to normal PC for my daily use. Checking email, editing pictures, surfing the web, etc are just so much more intuitive. The fit and finish of the Mac is much better than a PC as well. But IMO, the money is in the interface and I don't regret paying a premium for it.

There is alot of good information here in the form of opinions from many SH members!

If you're a memorizer, or person who has a set of daily routines that are performed on the computer (people like this usually have no REAL clue about a computer), get a Mac. They will have fewer long term problems and, for the less-knowledgable bunch, will be alot less stress to deal with.

If you're a programmer, or person who knows advanced computer functions, get a Mac. Because the OS is open source, programs can be compiled and run easily. Most advanced functions that you need a highly upgraded WINDOWS operating system for are built in (such as many server functions).

If you're a novice, or person that has a daily computer routine but wants to learn more about advanced computer functions, get a Mac. You will be able to experiment with functions and programs without as great a risk as with Windows. Because most programs are contained only in one folder on a Mac, you can easily delete the entire program without having to go through an arduous uninstall procedure.

.....I could go on with this, but Macs are very good. You can run Windows on a Mac but not Mac on Windows (at least, not without MAJOR mods to the OS).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erik S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is alot of good information here in the form of opinions from many SH members!

get a Mac. Because the OS is open source

you can easily delete the entire program without having to go through an arduous uninstall procedure.
</div></div>

I support both OS's but lets be logical about this.

In the VERY near future, like 2 years ago LOL, the US Government started sending out IAVA's, or security alerts.
Now mind you these are the alerts that CAN affect what you do.

a few years ago Linux was the craze, but nobody ever saw the "Critical" security alerts on Linux, it was DOUBLE what Windows XP was. 32 to the 16 criticals of XP.

Now I like MAC's, got no problem with them except the price and proprietary nature of the hardware.

But before I left my job there were 4 critical IAVA's out for the MAC. This means, if you do not fix it you cannot run it on the network, because a hacker (See the open source piece you wrote above) has FOUND a flaw thanks to that open source code. (it's really not however as it's highly modified version of BSD Unix not Linux)..

But all the same, the bad guys are now turning their attention to macs and iphones because Apple has begun doing things like Microsoft did. Not as bad but it has begun.

MAC webserver - heard it's one of the best on the planet but not many people run it.

So just be fair about this.

Oh yeah, last I checked, about 3 versions ago, MAC's used a registry. So while you can just "Delete" a program I have a very poewrful hunch it leaves a bunch of crap in the registry which can over time slow the OS down.

Also the HPFS file system they used ot use, got very fragmented, there is or should be a defrag tool that a lot of people don't run.

I'm a bit outdated on the MAC and I do respect them but I just want ot be fair.

All in all, still say a mac is a better long term investment, although my last P4 was bought in 2002 so it lasted me 8 years without ever rebuilding XP.

Anyway you MAC gurus fill me in if I'm wrong - my info was pre-Unix.

FYI MAC runs the same or VERY similiar OS as what is flying around in orbit on 90% of the satellites and on the rovers on mars. They are currently running a 286 processor with BSD Unix.

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> its because on opening one non-important e-mail from a friend I got a trojan that complete erased all contents on my Dell including my Quickbooks of 3 years. Dell was happy to replace the motherboard (empty of course), I got everything re-installed but by not regularly backing up my net damage was about 7K. </div></div>

</div></div>

He is still my friend, since my IT guy said it had about a 95% probability of coming from a porn site his excuse was "all guys go to porn"; I just had to lay out the rules of no more e-mails - ever! He can call me, he can pm me here, but no more e-mails ever!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> its because on opening one non-important e-mail from a friend I got a trojan that complete erased all contents on my Dell including my Quickbooks of 3 years. Dell was happy to replace the motherboard (empty of course), I got everything re-installed but by not regularly backing up my net damage was about 7K. </div></div>

</div></div>

He is still my friend, since my IT guy said it had about a 95% probability of coming from a porn site his excuse was "all guys go to porn"; I just had to lay out the rules of no more e-mails - ever! He can call me, he can pm me here, but no more e-mails ever!!</div></div>

Do you have a link to that site... I need to research it to see if my MACs are immune to the virus he caught so I need to check the porn site out to test it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
homosexual-demotivational-poster-12.jpg

. </div></div>

Apple's old logo speaks for itself.
500px-Apple_Computer_Logo_rainbow.svg.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was a Mac guy for a long time however recently when my >3 year old Mac Book Pro video card took a shit on me and they wanted $1400 to fix it, Apple can kiss my ass. </div></div>

Apparently you did not get the notice that Apple would fix these for free as a result of a class action law suit. Send me your broke MBP and I will get it fixed and use it.