• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PCP Ammunition set for limited release of polymer cased .308 ammunition

PCP_Ammunition

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2013
Vero Beach, FL
logo2.png

PCP Ammunition Company set to release limited production of .308 polymer cased ammunition.

Click the link below and register for special invitation only purchasing opportunity.

Thank you for allowing me to post this here gentleman. Just to let everyone know PCP Ammunition did request permission on and were granted authorization from Lowlight to make this announcement here. We greatly appreciate your interest and feedback.

After several years of engineering research, development, testing, and production planning, PCP Ammunition is excited to offer its .308 polymer cased ammunition to the commercial market. This is the first time in history that a ammunition manufacturer has offered high performance polymer cased rifle ammunition to the commercial market. Prior to this initial civilian release PCP Ammunition was recently awarded contracts with the US Government Department of Defense to deliver advanced lightweight polymer sub-sonic ammunition and an improved .50 caliber precision round.

We are offering this limited release of production to a select number of consumers. We are limiting the production initially to allow for user feedback that validates our test results. PCP Ammunition and certified third party testing facilities have performed thousands of tests on this product and we are confident in its safety and performance. The ammunition is loaded to SAAMI specifications. We are extremely interested in the feedback of our first group of civilian consumers. Although we have tested the ammunition in numerous weapon platforms, we have by no means tested them all. Please use only in firearms that are in good condition and free of defects. If you have any questions about the compatibility of your firearm with our ammunition, please contact us prior to using it.

If you are interested in purchasing our initial production of polymer cased ammunition please register at the link below.

If you are selected to participate in this initial release, you will be contacted with instructions to purchase.

The advantages of polymer cased ammunition are surprising to most consumers. We have also outlined the most significant advantages below.

features.png

Below is a feature comparison of Polymer Case Ammunition vs. Brass Case Ammunition.

Thank you for your interest in our products.

If you would like some background information on PCP Ammunition Click Here

I would like to try this, see the accuracy especially since I don't reload 308, there is so much good accurate 308 out there. So if this meets the minimum accuracy standards, it would be nice addition for me to not having to worry about the brass I more than likely won't reload anyway.

So accuracy will be the first and foremost priority.

I am curious as to the manner in which the bullets are seated. If simply pressed like regular brass, and the price was right, I could see the sale of empty virgin cases turning alot of reloaders into LOADERS! Zero case prep. No sweating lost brass. Neat idea.

I just curious to see how it runs and the accuracy it will produce. Nice to know its not good for extreem cold so it will be interesting to see how close it is to other loads i use.

What kind of prices are we looking at. What kind of loading are we looking at? 175, 155, etc

I signed up as well but it only indicated that I was signing up for a newsletter. I'll be curious to see where this goes with accuracy, price structure, ect.

Can you give some background to the testing protocol that allows you to claim 30% greater accuracy?

Also, how cold is "extreme" to you--if that effectively closes off sales to folks in snowy states for 6-9 months of the year, that's not a good thing...

30% more accurate eh?

We have tested our ammunition against several brass accuracy loads. We have tested out of accuracy barrels with prominent bullet manufacturers. We have also had highly trained operators shoot our ammunition against their best. We consistently outperform brass loads when we load for accuracy. We have tested multiple powder and projectile combinations in multiple weapon platforms. For those of you that shoot competitively and fireform your brass, you certainly know the advantages. Since our polymer is more ductile than brass, our cases obtuate very quickly creating a tightly sealed chamber. Our cases give the advantage of fireformed brass, without ever being fired. Our initial release of polymer cased ammunition has been built with a load we feel performs well over a large sampling of weapons. We do not recommend reloading our ammunition as standard load data with standard powders will not work in our cases. We are well aware that competitive shooters want to tune the ammunition to the gun, but please do not attempt to reload these cases. If you have ideas for improvements or questions we are happy to talk to you.

Can you give some background to the testing protocol that allows you to claim 30% greater accuracy?

Also, how cold is "extreme" to you--if that effectively closes off sales to folks in snowy states for 6-9 months of the year, that's not a good thing...

I think I addressed your accuracy question with my last post.

As for the extreme cold, right now 0 degrees Fahrenheit is as low as we recommend. We are in development of polymer cased ammunition that we will recommend for use at colder temperatures. The development effort for that feature is to allow our military product to meet some extreme cold requirements for US DOD. Once that product improvement project is complete we will utilize that technology in our commercial ammunition.

Last edited:
Do you plan on coming out with .223/5.56 also? How does this polymer case hold up to high chamber temps i.e. rapid firing of the firearm?

Yesterday there website had a price of $40 a box. They must have removed that as it was too soon to release a price.

Also says they are only loading 168 SMK.

Would love to try some in my 20" REPR and see how it compares to FGMM. Hope they also release the 50 BMG rounds as I would love to try some in the rifle I am having built now.

I'd be interested in taking a look at some of it, 30% is a large margin worth a chance

Do you plan on coming out with .223/5.56 also? How does this polymer case hold up to high chamber temps i.e. rapid firing of the firearm?

We are working on 5.56 round and several other calibers as well.

Although polymers do melt at much lower temperatures than brass, our cases generally do not see temperatures anywhere near the melting point of our proprietary polymer blend. We worked very closely with the raw material supplier to formulate a polymer blend specifically for this application.

Also consider that our polymer cases reduce heat transfer to and from the chamber, but they will still cook-off much like brass cartridges. Therefore in closed bolt guns such as ARs, the round will cook-off and cycle the weapon before the cartridge has been exposed to extremely high temperatures for an extended time. In open bolt guns such as belt felt machine guns, the cartridge is not exposed to the chamber for more than a few milliseconds while firing.

Screw that! For $40 a box I would rather order FGMM or Southwest Ammo that I know will shoot great and I can reload later.

Interesting, send some my way I will put it through some AR's and Bolt guns to make sure its Private proof and shoots well. I work for a major manufacturer of chemicals, the general public would be very surprised at what they use that comes from a barrel of oil. This application surprised me a bit, will have to tell my coworkers about this.

I also received the invite to purchase at $39.95 / 20 rds. of 168 SMK. I think I will pass on that price for non-reloadable cases.

Wasn't there a company (located iirc in NY) about 10 years ago making this stuff in 5.56? I remember seeing it for sale at Knob Creek, I do not however remember the pricing on it.

ETA: NATEC, was the name of the company.

I would like to see this technology evolve and become more main stream. That way I could shoot it for cheap(er) and be lighter than a 20rd mag of 308 as that isnt exactly light.

Think of it in terms if volume, there isnt much of it right now so its going to be expensive. Probably just out of or even still in the R&D phase. If Uncle Sugar bites on it the price should come down quite a bit unless they do like a popular AR manufacturer that charges the gov a premium for their stuff. In order for this ammo to be successful in the civilian market it needs to be cheaper than steel cased ammo or right at those prices. There are really more negatives to using this ammo in my mind. If i cant reload the cases then it better be cheaper than brass. Also plastic materials should be way cheaper than brass. That advantage should wash any high prices in molding the cases. Even as one who is in L/E the weight savings is of no major concern to me. I could forsee having to carry fourtypes of plastic cases ammo. A box each of open air and barriers but add a another box of each for the cold temp stuff. Not that appealing for me at 2x the cost fir what is already available...

Last edited:
If i cant reload the cases then it better be cheaper than brass. Also plastic materials should be way cheaper than brass. That advantage should wash any high prices in molding the cases. Not that appealing for me at 2x the cost fir what is already available...

That right there sums up my own thoughts.

I tested out a couple of different brands of polymer cased ammo a few years ago. All were terrible. Consistent case head separations, and feeding issues. We tested in various M-4 and M-16 platforms and belt fed guns such as the M249 and Mk46 mod 0. It was especially fun when a case head sep occurred in a hot barrel and the following round almost fully chambered in the now empty casing hull of the previous round that was now starting to melt a little. We would wait about 20 minutes for things to cool off before we went to work on cleaning out the mess.

Modern weapons are all designed around metallic cased cartridges. To change the casing, my thoughts and recommendations were that you must design a firearm around the polymer cartridge if that is the way you are planning on going.

Oh, and one more thing: the barrels still got hot, as well as the chambers, temperature variances between brass and polymer cases were negligible.

just by the look or the pics , its looks like a steel top , plastic middle , and a alunimium rim , where is the smooth release of the bullet , when its steel & not plastic ?

Hard to tell if the top is steel or black plastic, but the rim sure looks like brass.

Last edited:
just by the look or the pics , its looks like a steel top , plastic middle , and a alunimium rim , where is the smooth release of the bullet , when its steel & not plastic ?

According to the "limited release" page, the black and white parts are both polymer, and the case head is steel. Sounds like an interesting technology, but for almost double the price I usually pay for FGMM -- not a chance.

According to the "limited release" page, the black and white parts are both polymer, and the case head is steel. Sounds like an interesting technology, but for almost double the price I usually pay for FGMM -- not a chance.

My thoughts exactly.

i'd think that if i put out a new product and asking for feedback on it with while trying to get it into a civilian market by using word of mouth, i'd spring for the product, in this case even just a 10rnd "sample".

at the very least, waive shipping.

if it's that good, you'll reap it back in future demand.

sure i'd be interested in trying it, but at 50.00+ bucks i can load 50-60 rnds and know what i got.

I've been seeing a lot of this new tech and was excited to give it a shot, but the price is making me less excited...

I had a chubby when I first heard about this because I thought it would be cheaper alternative to brass case ammo, then I saw the price and threw up in my mouth a little. I will probably stick with reloads for the foreseeable future.

I had mixed re.sults today, I loaded 10 rounds into a magazine and only shot 5 times, very accurately, the other times the ammo wouldn't load, the black necks ripped apart in the chamber, I couldn't close the bolt. Will post pictures Thursday. I had shot about 35 rounds of some old hunting type ammo before trying this PCP ammo in my GA Precision gun, Templar v2, 20" bbl, 11.25 rot with TBAC 30P1 can. Gun was cleaned for the first time prior to shooting today, total round count is +/- 250. Meant to grab better ammo but forgot, will bring some copper creek and fgmm next time plus the final 10 rounds. The stuff is really light and accurate when fired.

This gun

Last edited:
Sooo . . . . am I reading this right? They aren't sending out ammo free samples to be tested by real world users and provide feedback - they are charging double what regular match ammo costs for stuff that falls apart when you try to chamber it? Awesome.

Hold on a second....it says right on their webpage, "PCP Ammunition initial release was a huge success."

30cal user must not know what he's doing (sarcasm).

Glad to have read 30cal's report....I would've popped the $50 to see what it's all about, now I know better.

I had mixed re.sults today, I loaded 10 rounds into a magazine and only shot 5 times, very accurately, the other times the ammo wouldn't load, the black necks ripped apart in the chamber, I couldn't close the bolt. Will post pictures Thursday. I had shot about 35 rounds of some old hunting type ammo before trying this PCP ammo in my GA Precision gun, Templar v2, 20" bbl, 11.25 rot with TBAC 30P1 can. Gun was cleaned for the first time prior to shooting today, total round count is +/- 250. Meant to grab better ammo but forgot, will bring some copper creek and fgmm next time plus the final 10 rounds. The stuff is really light and accurate when fired.

This gun

Sir I am extremely sorry you experienced issues during your use of our product. I am going to send you a private message so that we may further discuss the issue and get to the bottom of it.