• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pelican 1720 precision cut foam (hot wire cutter)

Adician

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Hey guys, I figured some of you might like to see this.

After seeing the thread awhile back on precision cut foam, I remembered that arfcom thread about hot wire case cutting. I finally had some free time to make the cutter recently, and here are the results. I plan to put both the scope and suppressor in the bottom left of the case, and the sling under the grip in between the bipod and mags.

Gun is a LWRC REPR 18" FDE. I still have room for my Shark suppressor above the scope to cut out too, so I was pretty happy with the size of this case for my application.

I cut out all the templates out of cardboard and went to work, a couple hours later I'm pretty happy with the results.

For anyone wanting the AR15 link, here it is.
Click this for foam cutter instructions

2017.jpg

2020.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: Completed.
areprshot.jpg

073.jpg

Re: Pelican 1720 precision cut foam (hot wire cutter)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very well done.

Did you use a hot wire? </div></div>

I used a 90 degree cutter I made out of some particle board, 2X2, a light dimmer, and a 25v transformer. Oh, and of course some souldering skills, but that's not too hard. I find it looks much better than one of the handheld ones because they are almost impossible to have a straight cut everytime, but it's hard to mess up with a hot wire cutter like mine or the one in the link.(hard, not impossible.)

EDIT: If you'd like me to, the next time I'm at the shop I'll take a picture of the wire cutter and it's guts.

tag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very well done.

I used a 90 degree cutter I made out of some particle board, 2X2, a light dimmer, and a 25v transformer. Oh, and of course some souldering skills, but that's not too hard. I find it looks much better than one of the handheld ones because they are almost impossible to have a straight cut everytime, but it's hard to mess up with a hot wire cutter like mine or the one in the link.(hard, not impossible.)

EDIT: If you'd like me to, the next time I'm at the shop I'll take a picture of the wire cutter and it's guts. </div></div>

Please do.

Are those magazine painted FDE or actual FDE from Magpul?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are those magazine painted FDE or actual FDE from Magpul? </div></div>

Cerakoted Magpul FDE by Todd Jackson (30calsniper) here on the 'Hide.

And will do Chiller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very well done.

EDIT: If you'd like me to, the next time I'm at the shop I'll take a picture of the wire cutter and it's guts. </div></div>

Please do. </div></div>

Yes, please.

the cut looks great. Are you planning on taking your scope off every time you put the rifle in the case?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the cut looks great. Are you planning on taking your scope off every time you put the rifle in the case? </div></div>

Yes I am. It was the only way I could have all the items I want in the case, as well as the fact that I've taken off the scope and put it back on atleast 20 times by now and the zero has yet to move. We'll see if the levers dig into the recievers paint sometime in the future, but I don't go crazy torquing it down like most guys with larue's mounts.

I have a OBR 20moa mount on it right now, holding a place holder scope. Todd Jackson (30calsniper) also did that as well, and did an outstanding job.

WOW that does look good. Thought my case was nice with an electric knife to cut the foam, but yours takes the cake!

cuts look good but why is the rifle in the case upside down?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cuts look good but why is the rifle in the case upside down? </div></div>

Because the scope needs to be as far away from the hinges and walls as possible. The rifle is in the case right side up, but most people have it in the case the wrong way and baggage monkeys can and will ruin your gear.

Is that foam different than factory foam? Looks like hard foam.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that foam different than factory foam? Looks like hard foam. </div></div>

It is polyethylene, IE: hard foam.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cuts look good but why is the rifle in the case upside down? </div></div>

Because the scope needs to be as far away from the hinges and walls as possible. The rifle is in the case right side up, but most people have it in the case the wrong way and baggage monkeys can and will ruin your gear. </div></div>

when you pick the case up by the handle isnt the rifle upside down?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cuts look good but why is the rifle in the case upside down? </div></div>

Because the scope needs to be as far away from the hinges and walls as possible. The rifle is in the case right side up, but most people have it in the case the wrong way and baggage monkeys can and will ruin your gear. </div></div>

when you pick the case up by the handle isnt the rifle upside down? </div></div>

Yes, but that doesn't matter. The rifle is right side up when I take it out of the case, and since the scope isn't on the bottom I don't have to worry about slamming it. Even when the scope is in the case, there isn't enough weight on top of it to move the foam inside the case, or damage the scope or rifle in any way.

I got a chance to take some pictures today of the cutter.

Rifle Cutout and template, I used nails to put it in.
002.jpg

The top and the tensioned bar, to make it I nailed a nail into a wood piece and pushed it against the copper tube until it was taut.

0042.jpg

The copper tube it actually one rod and a tube I soldered together to make more rigid, and keep conductivity.

Close up of the light dimmer and arm, as well as the 25v transformer.

012.jpg

The top and bottom copper rods, where I soldered the rod in place.

0152.jpg

0112.jpg

And lastly the bottom of the cutter.

0082.jpg

If you have any questions let me know!

Wow, that really looks professionally done. And what a bonus to make your own cutter.

Very nice work Adician~

Perfect timing on this post! I have 2 cases I need to cut foam for. I used long razor blades in the past and they came out good but not as clean as the ones in this post. Thanks for the link and pics

Very nice have some cutting to do of my own. You did a great job

This is great information. Thank you for taking the time to share!
Adding this to my project list.

Kyle

man that is a whole other level of DIY. great job.

Just had to chime in on this...

I'm pretty anal about this stuff, like fit in case and cut of the foam. It's one of my many, many issues.

Really cool man, nice work.

Super sick lines! Awesome job

if you touch the copper bar that the wire is connected to would you get "zapped"? Im thinking about making this tomorrow because Ill be needing to cut my pelican case when I pick it up this weekend.

Also, could you list the names/descriptions of the components and where you got them? Can I get most of this stuff at home depot?

radio shack or an electric supply company. or just google 25v transformer. and you probably wont get shocked, as this isnt high voltage or amperage. most likely the copper bar will be warm if anything at all. its the amps that kill, not the volts. but this is using the transformer and the resistance in the wire which heats up much like the element in a light bulb when energized and gets hot. the copper parts are thicker and have a greater capacity to move the current with little resistance. we had one in 4th grade for cutting styrofoam. the dimmer is to raise or lower the heat of the wire. all you have to worry about it too thin of a wire getting too hot and melting. its like how a power cord gets hot sometimes or anything thats drawing current past its capacity.

or i could be making it up as i am not an electrical engineer and i did not stay at a holiday inn last night. but i am often right about these things

and if you are worried about the copper bar, you can make the frame from wood and use insulated wire instead of copper rod, but the rod is "structural" as well as conductive. the wood L shape to replace it wouldnt be conductive. you could use unsulated wire on a wood frame or cover the rod with shrink wrap or tape, but if it does get warm, the tapes adhesive will get sticky and the shrink wrap could split with the prolonged heating.

i dont recall getting hurt in 4th grade, but then we had slipper slides, jungle gyms, monkey bars and box hockey and had sticker fights at recess. thats those little round land mine looking things that grew on a stalk and if you picked them and threw them, they stuck to skin, lol

did you get the wire at homedepot? Ive heard that you can use a guitar string, but homedepot/lowes is just up the road from me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you get the wire at homedepot? Ive heard that you can use a guitar string, but homedepot/lowes is just up the road from me. </div></div>

I would not recommend guitar wire at all, most will spark after a certain temperature. I used wire that's used to make bracelets or to tire chicken wire, but I would strongly suggest testing the wire before cutting any foam at all. You can get everything for this project (sans 25v transformer) at Lowes/HD

I can tell don't drink a 12 pack be bored and decide to cut your cases. When you wake up in the morning you will wonder what the hell have I done. I would post the picture but it is embarrassing!

One thought on case layout. I had a scope turret damaged years ago in a cheaper case when the rifle was facing scope down inside the case. I have all my pelican cases cut so the scope is up twards the carry handle. Granted the foam in these is far better and cut out so the gun cant move around as much. It is how I do mine now just a an added measure of protection.

Did you get the copper rod and copper tubing at Home Depot as well? I couldnt find it there over the weekend. I was able to find everything else though. I really want to get this done. I pick up my pelican case tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you get the copper rod and copper tubing at Home Depot as well? I couldnt find it there over the weekend. I was able to find everything else though. I really want to get this done. I pick up my pelican case tomorrow. </div></div>

Yes I did, you may have more luck in a craft store. You don't need copper though, you can use wood, but make sure you get a wire to run along side the wooden arm to complete the current.

I'm in the process of building a cutter to outfit my 1720 case. Did you source your hard foam local or did you have to order it? My case will be pretty packed out and I don't need stuff moving around. ~Wingnut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wingnut13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in the process of building a cutter to outfit my 1720 case. Did you source your hard foam local or did you have to order it? My case will be pretty packed out and I don't need stuff moving around. ~Wingnut </div></div>

Bought the case and foam at the same time from caseclub.com. Good people and fast shipping.

At my last job we had a modified laser engraver table to cut from for our toolboxes and Pelican cases. It required special fire resistant foam, though (made for good fun if someone accidently used the regular non flame retardant foam). It made great cutouts for everything from small allen wrenches and screwdrivers to large specialty tools in rifle size Pelican cases. The nice thing about it was that once a design was digitized you could just keep feeding foam and mass produce identical kits. Not so economical for doing once in a while, though.

what kind of wire did you use for the cutting wire? Ni Chrome? I couldnt find Ni Chrome at Homedepot. They had welding wire and galvanized steel chicken wire. Would that work? I think the Ni Chrome heats up quicker.

i was at the local ace hardware store and they have a craft section with stainless, brass and copper rods and tubing as well as sheets. they also had a selection of music wire in all gauges. i know that this is great for bending springs and i have seen some AR springs state they were made from music wire. but it seems like it would ge a good choice. combined with the rheostat to control wire temp you should be able to get the right size wire to make a clean cut and get hot enough, but not too hot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kind of wire did you use for the cutting wire? Ni Chrome? I couldnt find Ni Chrome at Homedepot. They had welding wire and galvanized steel chicken wire. Would that work? I think the Ni Chrome heats up quicker.</div></div>

What I use in my hotwire table, is used guitar strings. They are free, though I'm told that they're not too expensive to buy new. Pays to have friends who play guitar. After they break, they just throw them out. Now they save them for me.

Why did you choose polyethylene foam instead of instead of the standard or high density foam?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why did you choose polyethylene foam instead of instead of the standard or high density foam? </div></div>

Polyethylene doesn't hold moisture, and it is more durable than normal foam. It also keeps everything inside the case from touching other items. Its just an overall better foam for my application.

I just figured I'd give a quick update of the sling cutout.

I'll update this again once I get my shark suppressor and Vortex releases the PSTs.

0113.jpg

It looks great. I cut foam for two cases when I was home last. I am not too thrilled with the positioning I used. I may have to get some more foam and have a mulligan. I had pretty good luck with the electric carving knife.

Mark LaRue started something good with the foam cutout. I've seen some really good jobs done on ARFCOM.