• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Pelican vs. Storm case.

byrom1212

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
greenville tx
need a new rifle case just dont know which way to go both look like good cases. Just want to know what yall are using and what has lasted longer with abuse.

Re: Pelican vs. Storm case.

I used pelican for years as a comercial photographer. They are great and since they switched latch designs a few years back you can't go wrong. The old latched you could just about snap your fingers trying to open at times. I just purchased my first storm case a few months ago and it is a real nice case. I prefer the latches even over the new pelican cases. I feel they latch more securely and audibly and they are les able to be accidentally unlatched if something hit them.

Pelican and Storm are now the same company, but still not made exactly alike..... I prefer Storm ...

Storm, better latches, and I think a softer compound that makes it less brittle and absorb impact better.

I use Storm. I like the latches better.
Just got back from Africa and the Storm Case held up without issue. I've used that case on 6 different trips that involved air travel.

Look like I'm going with pelican. I just found out I can get them through work so no shipping cost and less than retail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308longshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look like I'm going with pelican. I just found out I can get them through work so no shipping cost and less than retail. </div></div>

STORM all the way.... if you can get Pelican you should be able to get STORM as pelican owns the company that makes storm cases

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308longshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look like I'm going with pelican. I just found out I can get them through work so no shipping cost and less than retail. </div></div>

Does that include the foam? Storm for me all the way.

Rich

It does include foam and for some reason they only carry pelican the last 2 distributers only carried pelican they sell them as camera cases.

I use both. Storm has better latches. Pelican has better wheels.

Agree with Dagger, I have both and like both but think the latches are better on the storm.

Both are good cases, in my opinion.

I'll third or fourth that too. We have both here, and the latches are preferred on the Storm.

But that minor difference is so negligible, considering the MASSIVE differences between these two cases, and the typical Plano, or whatever 'average hunter' type case.

You won't do much better, but you can do one heck of a lot worse than either of the two.

Carve that in Granite.

I wish one of them would come out with a 60" case for a scoped rifle.

Looking at mine side by side;

Storm Pros: Case is better, when standing on the side the case does not fall over. The number of securing points on the case is nice.

Storm Cons: The security points are plastic. The foam is more stiff than id like

Pelican Pros: Security points have metal attachments to assist with making a break in harder. The foam is a bit softer, more to my wants.

Pelican Cons: Case tends to fall down on level surfaces when standing on its side.

May be since they are the same company now they will take the Pro's from both cases and combine them into one really nice durable case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May be since they are the same company now they will take the Pro's from both cases and combine them into one really nice durable case. </div></div>

Somehow i doubt they will do that.

I own a rifle case made by Caseline, in Washington.

Their website is www.Kalispelcaseline.com.

Tough as nails, nice looking, for a very good price.

Used the case to transport my rifles when I flew across the country for demos. It took the abuse from the airlines baggage handlers and kept the rifles very well protected.

I have both. The Storm has two more latches. I would go Storm, on my next case purchase.

I have the Storm iM3300. I like it real well. The latches are great. I used Pelicans while in the Marines, but that was early 90's. I'm sure they've come a long way since then? The handles on my Storm are really solid and strong, and fold out of the way. I have not had it through baggage handling yet so I don't have any real world experience with its ruggedness. YMMV

I use the pelican, the 2 more latches on the storm would make it more worth while to, but durability I cant one doing better than the other.

Buddy just bought a huge pelican case, his only complaint is that it doesnt have a handle on the long side, just on the side opposite the wheels.

I have a Pelican and really like it but I don't own a Storm so I cant help much. My pelican has made many trips with me and is no worse for the wear than when I bought it.
Lee

My Storm AI fitted case is on its way.
cool.gif

I have owned one each of the following: pelican, starlight, storm.

Go with the STORM. The latches are the best out of the three and the material is as good as pelican.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How bout Starlight </div></div>I have a Starlight (on loan from MHSA until I get my Storm on Wednesday). I personally to not like them. Don't get me wrong, IMO Starlight are SOLID cases - they WILL protect your weapon(s) - BUT the latch system leaves MUCH to be desired.

I have one Pelican - to store my 1911s. It is customized and does a nice job of storing weapons, mags, and tools:

RangeCaseMags.jpg

My favorite though is the Storm. All my rifles are in Storms and future pistol cases (as long as I can find an appropriate 'lid organizer' will be Storms as well).

I have never used a Storm case, but I have beat the heck out of all of my Pelican cases, and they hold up just fine

I have the 1720 and the 1750 and like them both. I havnt had experience with the others but my cases weight about a pound less than a horse. Also have had any problems with mine falling over when on edge.

If you're still looking for a good hard case, here's a great deal on a Pelican 1750:

http://www.thenerds.net/PELICAN_ACCESSORIES.Pelican_1750_Shipping_Box.1750000110.html

They have $9.99 flat rate ground shipping, plus enter in coupon code TWITTER10 for a $10 discount, and basically you can get a Pelican 1750 with foam for $182 total. That's a deal!

Hurry though, as they only have two left in stock as of...now! I ordered mine on Sunday and just received it today, only three days later. The only small quirk I had with them is that trying to check up on the order and shipping online resulted in a generic "try again later" message, and they only sent the delivery information earlier today, the same day the package was delivered. But that's a minor thing, and really nothing to complain about, considering the price and fast service.

Hopefully this will prompt others to buy these before I convince myself I need another 1750 case at this great price...:D

I have two pelicans and two storm cases and they both have held up as well as each other... they both take a beating.
the latches on the storm are better, even the new pelican latches while good, are not as easy to open as the storm.

and the pelican is heavier weight wise my 1750 is about 5-7lbs heavier then the same size storm... the case walls seem thicker on the pelican, but i havent measured to verify this.

buy which ever is cheaper... either way they will serve you very well.

I've used both, have both, and like both. My 'luggage' consists of a Peli 1650, a North Face basecamp duffel, and a Storm for my firearms. I like the latches on the Storm a whole lot better! A lot easier to open, regardless of what the temp is out. They have been dropped, kicked, used as a stepladder...been tossed down the ramp of C-130s, all that fun stuff... I've broken a couple Peli latches (Always keep spares with me), but have never had a problem with the latches for the Storm.

Can't go wrong either way, and their customer service is great! I got my spare latches for free, just had to ask!

I like Storm, but as mentioned above, the differences between Storm and Pelican are pretty slight. If you can get a substantially better deal on Pelican, you won't be missing out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How bout Starlight </div></div>

I have both and the storm is nicer, better latches and handle and I think the material absorbs shock a little better.

CJG