• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Peloton bike users?

FCAnative

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2019
Okay, maybe the Peloton bike isn't as manly as many here might like, but if you've ridden a bike and, like me, live in a northern climate where outside bike riding season is maybe 3-4 months per annum if yer lucky, the Peloton was a total revelation and made a huge difference in my fitness and ability to work out all year around.

I can't run anymore, too many bike and motorcycle crashes over the course of a lifetime, and just getting old and don't want to beat my body any more than necessary in order to stay fit. I've been a long time bike rider, but that is seasonal here, I'm a fair weather rider and the idea of getting a big fat-tire bike and taking it outdoors when it's 10F and dark, as it often is here in NW Montana for about 4 months of the year, just didn't appeal to me. I also didn't really like going to a gym. I work 8-5 M-F and that means getting up, getting dressed, driving to a gym, changing into workout duds, doing whatever workout, changing again, driving home, shit/shower/shave, get dressed again, and off to work. About an hour is eaten up unnecessarily.

The Peloton bike changed all of that. I get up, get on the bike, do a 45 minute ride.....and the workouts are amazingly tough, are either live-streamed from a studio in NYC, or you can take one of nearly 10K On Demand recorded earlier rides......cool off for 15 minutes, jump into the shower, get dressed, go to work. Way way way less trouble.

The Peloton bike has literally changed my life, I love it and wish I'd gotten one long ago, although they've only been around for a few years. I still ride outside on summer weekends, and am pleasantly surprised to say that the Peloton has left me in great riding shape. I do the indoor bike in the morning before work during the week, ride outside on the weekends, weather permitting. That way I am able to avoid the heat, wind, traffic and, later in the summer, the smoke from forest fires.

Reactions: diverdon
Have you ever tried the schwinn model? Asking because my wife has a much harder time spending money than I do. She has wanted a Peleton for years, but I think she is going to cheap out. We can still use the Peleton rides via our iPad, but I was wondering if you had any experience with other stationary models.

Have you ever tried the schwinn model? Asking because my wife has a much harder time spending money than I do. She has wanted a Peleton for years, but I think she is going to cheap out. We can still use the Peleton rides via our iPad, but I was wondering if you had any experience with other stationary models.

About 10 years ago I took some spin classes at a gym that had Schwinn bikes. They worked pretty well. I also had a spin bike that I bought 7-8 years back at Costco, not a Schwinn, can't recall the brand name. It was okay too. The big advantage of a Peloton bike is the metrics. It gives you fairly precise resistance control, tracks your cadence in real time, heart rate, output in watts, calories burned, mph, distance traveled, compares you to others on the ride either live or all-time for on demand.......and, of course, you can close any or all of those metrics out if you don't want that pressure, but damn is it ever addictive. And the instructors are top notch. Of course, you will get those through the app on your iPad, but not the metrics, with those she'll just be guessing. The bike is not inexpensive, it's about what we spend on a nice rifle or scope, but it's worth every penny IMHO.

Reactions: reynja
Sounds like the peloton might be a real step forward. About 8 years ago, I took the plunge and bought a computrainer. At the time this was a huge purchase for me and my expectations of it were really high. Of course, the motor burnt up within a few months.. apparently running the hardest climb 3 times in a row is more than it wanted. That machine wouldn't have stood a chance against a fit person doing a 60 min time trial. Since then I've used the mostly the mag trainers and rollers. But of course I always see the peloton commericals during the tour and think about it.

There's a really huge Peloton owners page/forum on Facebook, and then there are dozens of tribes or sub-groups that spin off from that, regional groups, singles, moms, lawyers, doctors, on and on, so there's a ton of information and support there although sometimes it can be challenging to find, it's not organized as well as a discussion forum such as this one.

Peloton bikes are not without issues/problems, just like any other piece of equipment, but mine (which will be a year old in September) has been flawless, and I am inclined to think that the problems are not that many and generally easy to fix. The touch screen component, like any computer device, can sometimes act up. The bike itself is pretty rugged and simple. Occasionally there can be a calibration issue, but that's usually an easy fix. The biggest bitch seems to be that the OEM pedals are tough to clip in and out of, and that's a super easy fix.

For what Pel. Cost you could have a killer used bike AND a smart trainer (Wahoo kickr)
There are programs like trainer road or zwift if you want to train indoors OR instead of "dryfiring" you can get on your bike and go outside have some adventure,meet new people and improve your health.

Too hot.....get lights off amazon and ride EARLY in the morn.

Too cold....they make absolutely stellar cold weather gear. Lizard skins shoe covers, felt lined bib tights and goretex everything. Couple handwarmers in your shoes and couple in your gloves and a neck gaiter and your gtg.

there is no way in hell i would buy a peleton.

Reactions: CuriousChuck
I’m certainly not saying that there aren’t other options. Different strokes and all that. What I am saying is that the convenience and metrics of the Peloton are awesome and I think it’s a great investment in my health and fitness.

I have a road bike, a gravel grinder and a mountain bike, use them in good weather. I don’t enjoy riding when it is 10 degrees. But have at it, and thanks for sharing.

Jbyrd, I'm pretty much going in the opposite direction. Selling bikes, downsizing, getting off the road. We are probably just coming from different places. I would definitely not agree that being in good shape for road biking improves your health if youre serious about it. I tend to get too skinny, sick alot, and just generally uncomfortable in different ways. I need around 10-14 hours of training a week to compete with CAT2 or 3 level riders. Nowdays the job and family take almost every hour of my day in one way or another. Then fixing the house, car or whatever the rest of the time before any hobbies can be invoked. So, I don't want to do that anymore. The way I look at it now is that indoor training is plenty good enough for just getting some cardio work in and staying healthy. Its fast, easy, safe, no coordination with anyone, doesn't interfere with the rest my life...

A while back, I’d have said Peloton was a waste of money status symbol...but over a decade ago I bought a good home/light commercial treadmill for the same amount of money as a Peloton today.

I’ve put thousands of miles on the treadmill training & maintaining, with no concerns about temperatures or weather or road conditions.

Reactions: sako17
I thought that they were overpriced status symbols for a time, but now think it’s the best money I’ve spent in years. Many people on this forum probably have more than one rifle/scope combination that cost them as much or more, and hasn’t been taken out and used in months or longer. I use the Peloton damn near every day.

I just go out and jog, Peloton is a waste of money when you can go out and catch some real air.

I use an Echelon bike. Echelon is a direct competitor to peloton. Very similar to the peloton except the app may be a little better on the peloton but I purchased my bike and two years of classes for $1600 which is a lot cheaper than the peloton. The peloton was $2000+ for the bike and $50 a month for classes. The echelon uses a tablet for the app which I already had and the app tracks output, miles, speed, heartrate with a heartrate monitor and also your progress and you can see how you compare to others in the class. If you’re competitive you’ll find yourself pushing to catch the person thats ahead of you and on and on.

It’s definitely a game changer for me as I have ridden it everyday since I have recieved it this month and I’m definitely not a health junkie. I really haven’t done anything except watch my diet and 200 push-ups every night since high school 20 years ago and this thing is addictive.

Reactions: FCAnative
Any updates? Looking into getting one for the exercise room. What's the monthly subscription costs after purchasing the bike?

A Wahoo or Cyclops smart trainer, a Zwift or Trainer Road account, and a used late-model road bike still seems like the best approach. You get online training, some sort of social aspect, and there is still a real bike to ride in the real outdoors when the mood strikes.

Peloton is the best piece of home equipment I have ever had as it is the only one I use religiously.

It is worth every penny...where I live in New England, riding a bicycle on my town's roads is crazy dangerous.

Several people I ride with have Peloton's and they all swear by them for indoor training. Had a LeMond spin bike for several years as well as a set of Kreitler rollers for indoor training. Last year recovering from breaking my femur a riding buddy who is a state TT champion recommend TrainerRoad for getting my leg back in shape. Fitted the Lemond with a set of Garmin Vector 3 pedals to measure watts and started the program. It is very structured and similar to the Reoch Zonneveld program I used when I was racing. Excellent program and was able to monitor my left/right leg output in watts to track my recovery. Put on some good music and suffer through the workouts. The disadvantage is that you don't have the group energy as well as good scenery as with Peloton. When I ride on the road, I switch out the Vector 3's and have data from each ride.

I've had my Peloton for just over a few days over a year now (it was delivered 9-18-18) kand have 260 rides under my belt, and still love it. No problems or issues of any kind. I cannot recommend it enough. I know it costs some money, but every other piece of exercise equipment that I or friends have owned has turned into a dusty clothes=hangar, but not this piece. I actually use it, don't just talk/think about it.

Peloton is great...the bike itself is the nicest stationary bike I've ever been on. Makes the spin class bikes (soul cycle, etc) seem like complete POSes.

The largest benefit is that you tailor your workout to what you need. There are so many different "classes" that you can go slow or all out depending on how you feel.

It is the best at what it does. Living on New England where winter takes you out for road or trail riding, it is a godsend

What are the benefits of using a Peloton bike for indoor cycling, especially for individuals who live in areas with limited outdoor cycling opportunities? How has the Peloton bike improved the fitness and lifestyle of the writer and made indoor workouts more convenient and accessible compared to going to a traditional gym or cycling outdoors?

You would probably benefit from training with Cody Rigsby...and you could enjoy Cosmopolitans after.