• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Penzey's Spices - Guns Are Dumb

The38Super

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2020
If you're a cooking enthusiast, you already know that Penzey's is the source for the absolute best herbs and spices. I've been a customer for years and subscribe to their newsletter. Then, they sent the one below on Saturday. I've sent them a nicely worded 'you're an idiot' response and will no longer patronize their business. WTF...

And guns are dumb. Yes, hunting, and ranching, and law enforcement, but even then there are substantial risks. But owning a gun as though it is some sort of safety accessory is stupid. It’s like spending hundreds of dollars to add a self-destruct button to your life. At any moment, all it takes is one pull of the trigger, and just like that all the goodness in your life can be gone, never to return. Guns are dumb.

We should all feel safe, and as humans, long before we had cooking we had weapons. But if you ever need a weapon, just look around you, they are everywhere. These days the kitchen of every American home rivals the arsenal of a good-sized medieval village. And who even needs the pointy things when you have cast iron? But guns are different. They try to sell you on the idea that guns give you control, yet with one pull of the trigger whatever happens next will forever be in someone else’s hands.

With yesterday’s verdict in Kenosha there were many headlines. Some spoke of freedom, and self-defense, and innocence, but once you pull the trigger there is no going back to what you were before. There is no return to innocence. Bring a gun into your home and it’s far less likely to take the life of a stranger in self-defense than it is to kill someone you love through accident, suicide, or your anger. A lot of the time someone wanting to own a gun is a pretty good sign that they’re the kind of person who shouldn’t have one. Guns are dumb.

I know that for many of you yesterday’s verdict and the joy it sent through the pro-gun crowd brought a sense of goodness slipping away. I get that. For me, in times like these I find cooking brings perspective. Once I came to see cooking as what it is, an act of kindness, the news lost much of its power to bring me down.

Even though the news presents itself as having its finger on the pulse of where we are at, it in reality shows little more than the couple dozen most out of the ordinary events that took place in the past day. Much of the news is horribly unkind. But to see cooking as kindness is to understand that for each and every event horrible enough to make the national news there are hundreds of thousands of acts of kindness happening in kitchens all across the country every day. Even on the worst of days there is so much more goodness. Please try to see it if you can.

If you are a hunter or if your job requires a gun, sure. But if you have a gun out of a sense of safety get rid of it asap. It is nothing more than a self-destruct button for the goodness in your life and in the lives of those you love. Guns are dumb.

.....But owning a gun as though it is some sort of safety accessory is stupid ....

.... A lot of the time someone wanting to own a gun is a pretty good sign that they’re the kind of person who shouldn’t have one. Guns are dumb.....

.... But if you have a gun out of a sense of safety get rid of it asap. It is nothing more than a self-destruct button for the goodness in your life and in the lives of those you love. Guns are dumb.....
...im glad this manufacturer of spices feels a 90lb woman doesnt have a right to protect herself from a 220lb rapist....or....that a 90lb woman can only protect herself from a 220lb rapist with her fists or a meat tenderizer...

i can only assume #PenzeysHatesWomen......we should ask them why they feel women dont have a right to adequately defend themselves...why does Penzeys support rapists to rape with impunity?

Penzeys has great spices.

Fuck their politics - I hate corporate activism, that's a trend that I would gladly see die.

Any good alternatives for an assortment of high quality spices of all kinds?

Well, that's disappointing and angering.

I do have a Penzy's brick and mortar near me and have patronized them for some really great spices (like real spicy Paprika and not that tasteless stuff you get in the grocer's) but will now look for other sources.

This is utterly unacceptable to me. WTF asked them for their opinion on political topics...they fucking sell spices and that is their ONLY claim to fame.

Reactions: 308pirate
Well, that's disappointing and angering.

I do have a Penzy's brick and mortar near me and have patronized them for some really great spices (like real spicy Paprika and not that tasteless stuff you get in the grocer's) but will now look for other sources.

This is utterly unacceptable to me. WTF asked them for their opinion on political topics...they fucking sell spices and that is their ONLY claim to fame.
The corporate headquarters is 10 miles from Kenosha....

Reactions: Baron23
Never heard of them. And yes, we do have a multitude of spices here. Most aren't even heard of (by most people) and we have a wall-full of selection. One that has taken us 'some years' to build, literally.

As for idiots like these whom think that rescue is at the end of a phone-call.... remember this. In their time of need they'll be either calling someone with guns, or someone with fire-extinguishers/hoses. (around here, the fire-department arrives before the amber-lamps does)

I'm perfectly happy with continuing life not knowing this shop existed, nor do I ever intend to darken their thresholds.

Truthfully, the vast majority of spices that we get are at GREATLY reduced rates (compared to the average supermarket/big-name-stores) and they are both FRESHER and CHEAPER too. Mostly direct from India.

after the 2016 election they pretty much stated they did not want to service Trump voters in their stores.

If you have bought anything from them since 2016 you have funded your own throat cutting.

Couple possibilities.. one.. many companies are going full woke... cause it's cool right now. Mine included.

two, perhaps their marketing department decided that losing a potential 40% of your current customer base that are pro-guns is a small price to pay for the 2000% increase in customers that will now buy your product simply because of a PR statement.

Changed to Spice House ages ago when Penzeys mouthed off with pro immigration rhetoric.

i guess every idiot is free to pick the sword they'll die on, but why? i'm certainly not going to turn in my guns to the popo station simply because they want me to, but now that they've involved politics upon which i vehemently disagree (and stupidity) into their brand name, i will be sure to leave them off the list if and when i go spice shopping.

Am I the only one to think she isn’t 100% wrong?

I know. Just give me a sec before you flame.

owning a gun as though it is some sort of safety accessory is stupid. It’s like spending hundreds of dollars to add a self-destruct button to your life. At any moment, all it takes is one pull of the trigger, and just like that all the goodness in your life can be gone, never to return.

I mean. That’s kinda dead on.

A whole ton of gun owners are exactly this. ( Ton meaning way more than I would like ). I would say an overwhelming amount are not equipped to handle themselves in a self defense situation.

But let’s put all that aside.

Let’s say you are trained up. You kill someone and the DA charges you. You have already lost. Even if you end up acquitted you lose. How much does that defense team cost? The time you are locked up in jail… missed work… career possible lost.. home probably gone.

A defense instructor said something at the end of his class that has stuck with me.
“ The legal process is the punishment. Even if you are right you still lose if charged. “

With all that said I would not hesitate to use deadly force to protect me, my family or loved ones.

Just something to think about.

A whole ton of gun owners are exactly this. ( Ton meaning way more than I would like ). I would say an overwhelming amount are not equipped to handle themselves in a self defense situation.

Let’s say you are trained up. You kill someone and the DA charges you. You have already lost. Even if you end up acquitted you lose. How much does that defense team cost? The time you are locked up in jail… missed work… career possible lost.. home probably gone.

A defense instructor said something at the end of his class that has stuck with me.
“ The legal process is the punishment. Even if you are right you still lose if charged. “

With all that said I would not hesitate to use deadly force to protect me, my family or loved ones.

My goal would be to survive the incident so I could face the charges to defend myself - again.

If you truly needed the gun and did not have one - you wouldn’t survive to have to be judged.
You’d just be another “victim”.
I’ve worked my entire life to not be one of those.

Don't live in a lefty shithole and that won't happen.

My goal would be to survive the incident so I could face the charges to defend myself - again.

If you truly needed the gun and did not have one - you wouldn’t survive to have to be judged.
You’d just be another “victim”.
I’ve worked my entire life to not be one of those.

Don't live in a lefty shithole and that won't happen.
But, the point that way too many gun owners think that a firearm is some magic talisman it spot on.

Reactions: eca7891
But, the point that way too many gun owners think that a firearm is some magic talisman it spot on.
But how would you reach them to explain that it isn’t?

it is a well hidden secret how many crimes, including rape and assaults, are stopped by a privately owned firearms.
lots of people live in such sheltered environments that they will never understand the need for self protection.

Nope.
When I was a deputy, we had a guy who tried to break into his dealer's house to rob him. Dealer put a 12ga round in his chest. No charges for the shooting, only the dope.
Like I said.

Everywhere.

Just search your state and self defense acquittal. Examples galore

I see the point still goes right over your head. If you don't live in a lefty shithole your chances of being charged at all are much lower, and if charged, you won't be facing a jury of woke idiots.
I see you don’t get it or maybe can’t ?

It doesn’t matter what the chances are. It only has to happen to you..

You are still out all of the costs of a murder trial.

What’s that. 100k, 200k, 300k? You name it The composition of the jury is irrelevant you still lose even if you get an acquittal.

Btw. You just need one “woke” idiot to hang the jury and then you get the glorious opportunity to get charged again and another trial along with the costs there of.

Just because you think it is self defense doesnt mean you don’t have the risks I mention above. To just completely ignore them is just plain foolish.

Here's where I get my spice supplies, and the only emails they send me I don't want are for curry recipes, because curry is fucking gross. As best I know it's a simple family business, they have great prices that's way under supermarket costs for McCormick shit, very fresh and flavorful, and some great blends that make shit easy when you're in a rush. Their Pennsylvania Pepper is a favorite of everyone I've cooked with it for.

As for Penzey, never heard of them but I'm always happy when they put their bullshit right up front for me to decide to go elsewhere.

Another place that will not get my money, fuck him and his shitty spices. Cooking has nothing to do with homos or guns

My favorite companies are owned and operated by people who keep their fucking opinions to themselves.

the reality is that conservatives need to start spending as a bloc and then this crap ends

Reactions: NoDopes
“With all that said I would not hesitate to use deadly force to protect me, my family or loved ones” eca7891

@eca7891 why argue these points when you're of the same mind as the people you're arguing with?

Apologies to The38super for my poor reading comprehension.
Fuck Bill Penzey!

Last edited:
the reality is that conservatives need to start spending as a bloc and then this crap ends

The powers that be are taking the careers away from conservatives....remember, soon "You will own nothing"......Witholding your money will likely forward their plan.

Reactions: Redmanss
“With all that said I would not hesitate to use deadly force to protect me, my family or loved ones” eca7891

@eca7891 why argue these points when you're of the same mind as the people you're arguing with?

To the OP. That is some mind numbingly stupid shit you posted. You're free to say it, but your preaching to the wrong crowd imo.

The OPs post is Bill Penzeys quote.

Reactions: Supersubes