• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Perfect Rifle For PRS

All ya need.

5hz6bhw.jpg

/s

Apparently, nobody else's opinion regarding AW mags matter... I have not had any issues with them.

I never said it didn't matter, I am just saying, I see more issues with them than AICS mags, and the frequency is enough to recommend you should not use them.

Because I see it, doesn't make it ignorant, because I have 4 here that had issues, doesn't make it ignorant, you can blame the builders, or you can say there is an issue.

The point, is I was relaying my experience, and he decided to attack me personally... I have not attacked anyone personally over their experience.

Maybe you just say, "In my LIMITED experience I have had no issue" but in my wide experience in a variety of settings I have seen issues.

The issue was enough to cost me a Top 10 at the GAP Grind, so I don't see how that is ignorant.

Dang dude, relax, I wasn't attacking you. I'm merely pointing out a false statement. Ignorance is just the lack of understanding or knowledge, which is a true statement if you can't get AW mags to work.

Explain to me "False Statement", enlighten us.

if it happens more than once, how is that "Making a False Statement"

Deny it can and does happen more "frequently" than AICS mags...

I love it how I relate my personal experience, doing this shit every day, and you all come out to personally attack me for it.

As if, it's not happening, when clearly it does.

Figure if it saves one person the headache, to me is worth saying, use AICS and be sure, rather than risk it and have it happen like I have seen.

Instead you have a bunch of guys with an personal agenda who feel the need to attack for saving a shooter a headache down the road.

recourse, I can certainly show you recourse if you like, it's so easy, it's really funny how simple recourse can be.

I meant no disrespect LL... Just disagreeing with you on the said subject. This is a big boy forum is it not? We can disagree can we not?

Again, nobody is personally attacking you. The statement you made was "Don't use AW mags, they don't work in a competition rifle for shit... ever" which is false because there's plenty of folks using them with great success. Just because you have not had any luck with them doesn't mean others haven't had great success.

Now you're changing things to simply say the they are not as reliable as an AICS mag, which would be a correct statement based on your experience. In my experience, and many others, they are in fact just as reliable.

Last edited:
However you want to spin it,

You have an agenda, you build these rifles using AW mags. I am glad some people are having good luck with them. But seeing how I have rifles from 4 different builders, and I have seen it happen to other people as well, doesn't make it ignorant.

The Fact it happened to my GAP in my mind says a lot... according you, George fucked it up, cause they are suppose to be 100% reliable.

you called ME ignorant, that is a personal attack...

Also why do you have a commercial signature, last time I checked you weren't a sponsor. Must be my ignorance at work again.

Ok, so we can tell some people like the mags, some don't. I like the aics mags personally. So far I'm looking at surgeon or badger action, a 26" medium Palma kreiger in 243. I already have a leupold 3-18 so I will probably use that. I HAVE a couple chassis and they are comfortable for me. Should I get a normal stock to save weight? Maybe just go to the gym....

Mr. Frank, is the AW mag issue in your experience limited to R700 clones or does it also happen in Badger M2008s and M2013s? How about in the AW or AX? I don't own one personally, but I'm 99% sure AI wouldn't put out rifles with mag issues. How do they stave off these issues?

Thanks in advance!

700 clones... I have not seen it happen in my Badger or AW / AX, just the clones. I attribute it to the lack of material around the mag at the bottom of the action compared to theses other actions

So Jessie,

Are you saying you never heard of this happening, you never once had to fix one where one side was a bit too low, or nobody you know running an AW has ever reported the rounds popping up ?

No, I'm not saying I have never heard of issues with people running the AW mags. We have had a bunch come in the shop that were not set up correctly, but left working just fine. The main cause of rounds popping out the top (from what I've seen) comes from people opening up the feed lips too much trying to fix an issue with the mag sitting too low.

Ok, so we can tell some people like the mags, some don't. I like the aics mags personally. So far I'm looking at surgeon or badger action, a 26" medium Palma kreiger in 243. I already have a leupold 3-18 so I will probably use that. I HAVE a couple chassis and they are comfortable for me. Should I get a normal stock to save weight? Maybe just go to the gym....

What you've got there sounds just fine. I wouldn't worry about the weight of the chassis system if you already have it and it's comfortable to you.

I never touch my mags, so there was no opening them up.

I also had a rifle that was working fine, and was used in a Police demonstration that when I used a different AW mag later, it stopped working. I had to hold it up in order for it to feed on both sides. That is not a build problem, (especially because it was a CADEX Chassis and not a DBM) It left the shop 100% but that one mag was problem and I don't go wrenching on my AW mags because for the most part they are used in AW/AX rifles, I have no reason to bend the feed lips.

So, explain this false statement again, cause clearly you have seen it... probably 10X with AW mags than AICS mags.

I'm betting most of the chassis systems hold the mag too low. They will work fine with an AI mag as the mag height is not as critical, but are probably just barely catching the rim of the cartridge with an AW. If it's just barely catching the rim, then any deformation of the feed lip or weakening of the mag spring will cause an issue. The whole thing comes down to you haven't had good luck with AW mags, while myself and a bunch of others have. Can they work reliably, YES.

I never touch my mags, so there was no opening them up.

I also had a rifle that was working fine, and was used in a Police demonstration that when I used a different AW mag later, it stopped working. I had to hold it up in order for it to feed on both sides. That is not a build problem, (especially because it was a CADEX Chassis and not a DBM) It left the shop 100% but that one mag was problem and I don't go wrenching on my AW mags because for the most part they are used in AW/AX rifles, I have no reason to bend the feed lips.

So, explain this false statement again, cause clearly you have seen it... probably 10X with AW mags than AICS mags.

I beileve the 8th post in your B6D thread you said George specially fitted 3 AW mags for that rifle. Don't use just any AW mag.

Last edited:
For that one, which were "fitted for that rifle" and clearly I had issues.

But for the others, I did not touch the mags, I have several rifles with AW mags, not just one.

What George did I don't know, but they don't appear to be wider feed lips.

FWIW-if the gun is fitted properly for AW magazines, not aics and aw magazine combo, it will run like a top. If you fit them specifically for AW magazines there is no play in the mag at all, they seat very firmly. The only times I have had issues is when the gun was fit for both mags.

the GAP was fitted for that rifle... I had specific mags and still had an issue... so much for running like a Top.

As well the chassis, I switch over after it stopped it working. Went to AICS mags and it works great.

the GAP was fitted for that rifle... I had specific mags and still had an issue... so much for running like a Top.

As well the chassis, I switch over after it stopped it working. Went to AICS mags and it works great.

I know the problem. Only Supa Kenny has the magic touch to make them run, I requested that he use his super ninja powers to make mine run.

6mm (pick one)
Bartlein M40/M24 contour at 24"
Brake (brand of choice)
Jewel or Timney
Rock Solid Chassis (yeah, as good as it gets)
Razor/NF/S&B/March
Harris bipod (sorry, Atlas loses its edge in PRS)
TAB Sling (RAS is great)

As for that Team Gap Spec'd rifle.....I don't recall any Team Gap guys shooting that config.

Thats what we all shoot, except Franks has a Special Stock on it.

all our rifles are exactly like franks except they have T4-A or T-2-A stocks on them.

Frank if yours is fucking up with the AW mags I sent you its probably the way your slamming them in. Ive run AW mags on 2 different rifles and never had an issue yet. the first rould off the top if you load 11 is rough so I only ever load 10.

But Frank is right the AICS mags because they are center feed are by design more reliable.

You're not the exception. I am in 100% agreement with what you have found. I've messed with a bunch of them, and in my experience sooner or later they will fail in a 700 clone. The reliability of the AICS mags outweighs any perceived benefits an AW mag could provide.

Clearly I am the exception to this "Running like a Top" rule...

although I am willing to bet, I am not alone.

I have a fix, and used the rifle here in CO and tried it out, I just make sure the bolt is forward and I don't have the issue.

I am sure i am not gentle by any means, and under time will move fast and hard, but that is how I am, so I want the system to work for me, and not have me work for it.

The rifle is a laser, no question there, but I would rather use AICS mags and save the headache because, "I run it too hard"

I will say that I cannot recall seeing someone top off a mag STILL IN THE GUN while on the clock during a stage.

I HAVE seen

Single feeding to finish a stage or your standard mag change to a fresh/full mag.

I think the big thing with the aw's is the same thing that gives some people issues....it takes very little force to slide a round out of the mag.

As far as oal aw only beats the accurate mag by .010 if that's gonna kill your setup, I'd prob take a good look at the cartridge or reamer spec.

Last edited:
I have a Rock Solid chasis with a Bighorn action with the AW mag cut out.

reading all these "issues" posts has me worried. The rifle is in the built stages and Iam wondering if I should switch to regular AICS mags. Will a AICS mag fit well with a AW receiver cutout.

I run a rock solid Chassis as well. My action is a defiance deviant with the AW mag cut. I would say try both under stressful and hard bolt manipulation.

I tried AW mags and I just could not get them to reliably feed in my Rock Solid stock. I would have 2 or 3 problems every match. Rounds would pop up or get stuck or whatever. It is stress I did not want to sign up for. I switched to my AICS mags and everything has been flawless through 6 more matches. But I really like to load my AW mags, SO much easier and faster. And I love the low profile of the AW mags.

Since I have a Rock Solid, I would recommend staying with the AICS mags. You should never have a problem.

I have a Rock Solid chasis with a Bighorn action with the AW mag cut out.

reading all these "issues" posts has me worried. The rifle is in the built stages and Iam wondering if I should switch to regular AICS mags. Will a AICS mag fit well with a AW receiver cutout.