• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Perfecting One System?

BLAKSUNZ

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
Oxford, MS
I'm not a very good pistol shot. I never have been. I've shot rifles and shotguns since I can remember and all forms of rifle and shotgun disciples come easy for me (meaning I improve when I practice unlike with pistol).

So that got me thinking...maybe I should buy one handgun type (1911 for example) and ONLY shoot it for a few years. Maybe by learning all of its quirks (hand position, trigger control, trigger release, sight picture, ect.) I can learn to aim and actually HIT what I put my sights on.

This got me thinking even harder about other weapon systems. If this same thought process would work for a pistol than the same should be true for rifle and shotgun.

I have the funds to buy many guns...but money doesn't buy skill. Wouldn't it be better for me to focus on one rifle and perfect it before moving on? Or maybe I'm taking it too far. Maybe I should stick with one CALIBER such as .308 and learn everything about what it can and cannot do.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Many on this forum seem to own many guns, in many calibers, with different stocks, optics, ect. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for buy whatever you want and as much as you want. I simply want to know if it is possible to become above-average in the use of multiple firearms or is this only possible with strict practice of one type of firearm (obviously pistols will vary a lot more than a firearm with a stock).

Re: Perfecting One System?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not about the gun. </div></div>

Of course not. I'm not implying that at all. I'm just trying to gain some insight on whether or not it would be beneficial to not split ones mind between multiple weapon systems. It will always come down to the shooter but is it wrong to say that we would be better served by focusing our minds one on weapon? I surely hope this is not the case because I love all types of firearms.

An old adage says "Beware the man with one rifle. He may know how to use it."

I have to agree to an extent with that. I know that is one reason I went with an XLR stock on my 308 so that I kept the same general ergos as my ARs and such. I also find that it take me a few minutes each time I get down behind another of my rifles for me to get back to shooting it as well and I can. I chock it up to just getting use to the trigger, recoil, tracking, etc of each rifle.

Knowing how to properly use a 1911 is a standard of marksmanship and gun handling. I would start there, with a name-brand course that teaches the Modern Technique, like Gunsite 250.

For rifle, take a basic .308 to PR1 at Rifles Only.

It all depends on how "good" you want to get. Do you want to be able to hit what you aim at? Or do you want to win competitions? If you are looking to be proficient, hitting what you am at, then any accurate rifle or any accurate pistol will work. Practice, Practice, Practice. If you want to win comps, specializing is the way to go (unless you are just a gifted marksman, I know I'm not). When you shoot, set goals, don't rush and analyze every shot. Have a buddy help out. Putting rounds downrange with a purpose will get you to where you want to be.

Have a well accomplished shooter inspect & fire the pistol you had accuracy trouble with. I have found that with myself & other shooters I have coached that once one is good with basic marksmanship (breath,relax, align sighs, squeeze, follow through) in general they are successful to a *respectable* degree with all marksmanship with anything that has proper sights: wether rifle, pistol, shotgun, modern bow, etc. a weapon with sights.

*they may not be at the olympic level, but it's obvious it aint there first rodeo.

I wonder if it's not the pistol.....

Don't know if your shooting a cheap 1911, but a basic rack grade "mud gun" 1911 is known for it's reliability yes, accuracy NO...

Per one gun and fear the man with one gun-
I shot a .223 @ 1000yards religiously- It put me in the big leauges for cheap in the ling range games.

so yeah get you a .223 or .308 rifle and shoot it till you puke once a week for a year. You'll be REAL hard to deal with after a year of that.

(Know that a .223 loaded with 80 grain SMK's will give you the same wind education as a .308 for far less money each time you pull the trigger.)

If you want to believe that you can only learn and become proficient at one discipline; I'll not try to stop you.

But I personally believe that you, and the rest of us, are capable of more.

Greg