• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Performance update on Hornady 285's

Re: Performance update on Hornady 285's

I rattled their cage yesterday about pricing. Something doesn't seem right.

If it will help I'll send the 18 I have left back.

I'll be in touch when I hear something.

I e-mailed Hornady and they just sent a reply that they are only available in 50ct boxes for $50.39 retail. That really sucks.... guess I won't be using them as much as I thought I would.

Hey show some respect for the new WORLD RECORD HOLDER will ya...
smile.gif

Maybe that's their new marketing slogin. Ya, we're gonna gouge you on the price but, hey, we just shot a NEW WORLD RECORD with these things so pay up.....
smile.gif
J/K, J/K

Well that's kind of a buzz kill.
frown.gif

Was planning on trying some against the 300 SMKs I'm currently using in my Edge... don't think I will now. Looking at real world prices, the Hornadys are about 15 cents more <span style="font-style: italic">per bullet</span>, all for a lower BC. Meh. They had me going with the new jacket process and all that, but the Sierras are shooting pretty damn good already. ... If I were going to pay more I think I'd try the Bergers and get the BC advantage at least. Meh.

Midway still has them listed for $39.99 / 100 but they don't actually have any yet either. Sounds like that will likely change when they get them in. I found it interesting that if you do the "zoom view" of the bullet on the Midway site, the tip looks slanted / uneven and just like SMKs really. They appeared nicer in the pic Dave posted on page 1.

Apparently Grafs has more in stock, I called and bitched about the 100/50ct deal and they knocked off $10 per box on my other 5 boxes so I guess I got 500ct for $349.90 or $.70 each. The other 5 boxes showed up today.... still not liking the price but we'll see how they shoot in my Norma.

I'm gonna start out with RL-22 and do some testing... wonder what load the record was set with??

I just got in 100 of the new 285's last night as well as the 178 gr BTHP. I hopefully will get a chance to load them up next week and do some shooting with them.

I have the 105 BTHP's and the 140 BTHP's coming in the next few days as well.

more to come

Whats going on with the continously raising of prices now its 40 a box for 50 not 100 thats the most expensive .338 bullet way more than bergers.