• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pest control gun for the wife

hukset402

Weld On!
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2020
nebraska
We are moving from the city to an acreage at the end of the month. Wife is concerned about the dog getting in a tussle with skunks and what not and wanted me to put somthing together for her to dispatch things with. So like a good husband I'm gonna listen when she tells me to put a gun together.

Was thinking a 10/22 with a red dot? She struggles with eye relief trying to find the cross hairs on a scope. So till I get her some practice I was gonna try the red dot route.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: Jgault
I think a 10/22 with a red dot is a solid choice. Just make sure the dog isn't downrange when she's going for the skunks.

I would position it as her "starter gun". Once she becomes proficient you'll have to upgrade for her...

For skunks you may want to get a few traps. Unless you don’t mind the smell

I think a 10/22 with a red dot is a solid choice. Just make sure the dog isn't downrange when she's going for the skunks.

I would position it as her "starter gun". Once she becomes proficient you'll have to upgrade for her...
Definetly a starter gun haha. Upgrades are always needed.

Reactions: 1500varmint
Shooting skunks delivers less odor than trapping them in my hands at least.
Many examples like the one below to use. Can make them to. Generally keep them confined enough to not spray

Reactions: ZG47A
22mag work great on rural pests up to coyotes. Ruger american, CZ 512, Savage A22, or what I have a Marlin 22MN(or the newer model). Henry 22mag lever,,,,,,,,,,,, and so on.

Mike

Reactions: RTH1800
.22LR will work fine. Most of my killing is at night so a IR laser and illuminator with night vision and/or a thermal optic works great for handling the night time chicken, duck killers. A little thermal is a nice tool.

Reactions: forthehunt
Some folks are gun shy/gun fire shy. Add in the likelihood of her grabbing the gun up, loading and firing without hunting down ear muffs, I’d opt for a long barreled .22 with subsonic hollow points.
CZ made a rifle “Super Exclusive” that used the 452 action, had something like a 28.5” barrel, with adjustable trigger and 5 shot mag. I’m sure that would handle anything up to whitetail around the home.

Having dispatches many skunks.

Here’s my 0.02

10/22 is fine. If she is excited, maybe a bolt gun like a tikka or Cz 457 would be better with a red dot.

As to traps, the spray proof traps are nice but you still need to kill them or release them while they are in them and if they spray, you might still stink or have the smell around.

If you’re careful, connibear (body gripping) traps are great as long as your dogs stay away. Or you make a cub set where the size is restricted for skunks (cats could still get in).

They work well but can even have them spray as they are killed.

I'd suggest a bolt like a Savage B22 or MKII - they're in the same price range as the 10/22 and are waaay more accurate. I DON'T advise the Sav A22, I bought one and it's NOT accurate. Partly due to the weird trigger action needing 'release' to reset the sear, the distracting "Clunk" sound of reset and the OEM ca. 5# pull ! If you could find any Marlin semi that'd be perfect - accurate and rapid follow-up if needed. Used they can be had around $200 or so.

What kind of acreage and anything else around like livestock? A light recoiling shotgun loaded with 4 to 6 shot may be a safer choice.

Reactions: Ravenworks
1654703717501.jpeg

one for you and one for the kids and the wife gets the controller any time you bother her or annoy her in any way zap you get shocked pest problem solved . In case you did not know what it is it's a remote controlled shock collier not just for cattle keeps kids and husbands from wondering off the range .

Place the rimfire version of tannerite all over your property and mark with flags. Stay on the porch and shoot one when critters get near. No mess, or stank to worry about

Definitely a 22 of some sorts. If you can or have a can that just makes it that much better. 10/22’s can be plenty accurate for pest control and more but a nice cz457, tikka, or bergara would be a safer bet accuracy wise.

And maybe consider a 1-4 or 1-6 scope easier to get behind but can zoom in as needed. I started both my kids with 10/22 and red dots but they quickly have out grown the red dots and wanting magnification.

17 HMR. What I got for us when we were on a ranch in Cheyenne WY. A lot flatter shooting than a .22lr. And it does blow shit up lol.

Reactions: forthehunt

I live out in the country with lots of chickens and ducks etc... and 99% of my predator problems are at night and more specifically from 3:00-5:00AM in the morning. Wolves, foxes and coyotes and Raccoons have stolen more animals from me than i can stand to add up in two years. What finally corrected it is a 10/22 with a light and a Great Burmese or an automatic shotgun with a light and a great Burmese. I've exhausted myself with every other option you can think of and none were very effective without a lot of work and patience which i don't have a surplus of left over at the end of a work day especially the times of year i end up working 80 hours a week or more

I live out in the country with lots of chickens and ducks etc... and 99% of my predator problems are at night and more specifically from 3:00-5:00AM in the morning. Wolves, foxes and coyotes and Raccoons have stolen more animals from me than i can stand to add up in two years. What finally corrected it is a 10/22 with a light and a Great Burmese or an automatic shotgun with a light and a great Burmese. I've exhausted myself with every other option you can think of and none were very effective without a lot of work and patience which i don't have a surplus of left over at the end of a work day especially the times of year i end up working 80 hours a week or more
Get a flood light camera. Phone alerts me if something is in the yard, lights are on, go shoot it.

HMR is LOUD and she would need muffs for sure. Just normal sub sonic .22 HP will do the trick. For a newbie I would go with the simplicity of a bolt gun. Hard to beat the CZ line of bolt guns.

Saiga 12 with a drum. Hard to beat 000 Buckshot and a semi auto 12gauge.

• Haha
Reactions: adubeau
We are moving from the city to an acreage at the end of the month. Wife is concerned about the dog getting in a tussle with skunks and what not and wanted me to put somthing together for her to dispatch things with. So like a good husband I'm gonna listen when she tells me to put a gun together.

Was thinking a 10/22 with a red dot? She struggles with eye relief trying to find the cross hairs on a scope. So till I get her some practice I was gonna try the red dot route.

Any suggestions?
A 16" Ruger 10/22 with a good holographic red dot like a Holosun sighted in around 50-100 yards, a high quality suppressor like the Dead Air Mask HD, along with some subsonic ammo should do the trick very nicely. 👍🏼

Since I know nobody will suggest it. I'll give you a different option. Savage Rascal. You can even get her one in pink if you want. I bought my kids one to start on and that thing is as accurate as any .22lr I've owned. Small enough you can carry it on the lawn mower for those mid-day pests.

CZ/Tikka for something nicer, or savage MkII which is more than accurate enough and cheap as well. 22LR is fine, shooting it to 100 yards is easy. Give you a chance to train her up with some small targets too . Was out practicing yesterday and hitting a 3 inch square at 90 yards with a bergara and a 10/22 was easy, even off different barricade set ups.

714BE440-B2F9-413B-989A-E8EB447ABD7C.jpeg

Had to dispatch this one in my yard yesterday. Standard velocity round nose through the lungs, raised up and fell over dead, no spray. I’ve trapped them before, this is the best way to dispatch them if you can’t use a syringe pole. (Sorry for topic drift)

I would vote for a 10/22 or other semi auto that she would feel safe and comfortable with.

Reactions: 1500varmint

Any suggestions?
410 or 28 ga shotgun is my rec

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
View attachment 7888427
Had to dispatch this one in my yard yesterday. Standard velocity round nose through the lungs, raised up and fell over dead, no spray. I’ve trapped them before, this is the best way to dispatch them if you can’t use a syringe pole. (Sorry for topic drift)

I would vote for a 10/22 or other semi auto that she would feel safe and comfortable with.

🤮

Why lol

I have a browning 17HMR T bolt sporter with a thermal NV as my fox/pest gun.

Very slim set up, mag is flush to stock, control feed (pretty sure) and straight pull. Has never failed to feed/eject but has failed to fire (unsure if ammo or firing pin).

I myself would never shoot a Skunk with an air rifle,that's what the 22Lr is for. To kill a Skunk cleanly, you must shoot it directly in the heart to completely kill it fast, with no stink on "you"!