• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes "Philosophy of Use" for G3 Reticle?

HousePlant

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2020
    I'm finding it quite difficult to find explanations of reticles that actually put it into application. I don't have the money to experiment. I know the Horus and Tremor-style tree reticles are just too much for me at this point, but on the flipside the G3 reticle (in Bushnells) is almost "not enough". But I see folks praising its simplicity.

Can anyone who has the G3 reticle actually explain it to me -- contextualized to actual use in PRS or some form of long distance shooting?

I plan to call up GA Precision, since they are the ones that designed it, but I am interested in the crowd's input.

I think it’s an excellent hunting reticle but I certainly prefer a bit wider tree from the horizontal line on down.

for a 100-800 yard rifle with a 6 mm or 6.5 bullet with some speed It has enough wind in the tree for 95% of conditions you’ll see.

I like it a lot.

The furthest out lines lines up about like this based on my rifle/load/calculator:
    2 mil holdover - 425 yards - 9 mph fvw (full value wind)
    3 mil holdover- 540 yards - 7mph fvw
    4 mil holdover- 640 yards - 10 mph fvw
    5 mils- 700 yards- 13 mph fvw
    6 mils - 812 yards - 11 mph fvw
    7 mils - 890 yards - 10 mph fvw

To me, if you need to hold more wind, dial to center and hold on the main bar. I would like it if it had .2 hashes, but for my extremely limited budget, it does everything I need.

I ran a G2 then a G3 for my first couple seasons with good results but switched to a H59 because the G3 was just too narrow.

Half a mil of wind down to 4 mils elevation leaves you holding in mid-air way too often.

I’m also perplexed by the 1.25 mil ‘mover’ hash mark. The movers we shoot at are all in the 3-4 mph range. GAP must have designed that for 2mph movers or 4000 fps guns.