• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Phoenix Custom Rifles work pics and reviews

Re: Phoenix Custom Rifles work pics and reviews

Thanks guys!

Remember... bolt getting entirely Cerakote... they will seem rough or tight at first. Keep them lubed with gun oil and work the bolt a lot. It wears in and starts to get nice and slick eventually.

Just keep it oil/greased lightly and work it in. After it gets worked in the lube isn't really necessary.

So guys getting a bolt entirely coated, when you get the bolt back, remember that the longer you let it cure the better. Dont just start cycling it like crazy right away. Let the bolt sit until your next outing, then work the hell out of it.

NIC claims 5 days for cure time. I find that it continues to harden over about a month. Having it out in the heat seems to help too actually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
NIC claims 5 days for cure time. I find that it continues to harden over about a month. Having it out in the heat seems to help too actually. </div></div>

Keith,
I did some experiments with C-Series and found that if I baked it like H-Series it was solvent proof (MEK) in 2 hours.

Not sure how much that accelerates the hardening but it seemed pretty robust, certainly enough to handle for assembly/shipping.

Mark

Few pics of a 6.5 Creed just finished.
The scope is a slave that is just on there for testing.

Handle reinforcement and shroud mod:
IMG_15321.jpg

Phoenix Custom Rifles logo:
IMG_15401.jpg

Crown and thread protector:
IMG_15311.jpg

Thread protector has two flats that are .749" wide for use with any 3/4" wrench if need be.
IMG_15301.jpg

Whole rifle Cerakoted military black with Phoenix bolt knob:
IMG_15341.jpg

Check out our thread in "Rifles" for pics too

PetricBuild017.jpg

Just did an install on a Winchester bolt.
They're no problem. Just takes some extra work to do them. It does take me about twice the time as a Remy, but the extra time isn't labor intensive so the price difference wont be huge.

The price for install on Winchesters/FNs will be $125. That includes return shipping, and Cerakote of the knob/handle.

Turn around time is the same.
Same knob choices.

I still use my 10-32 stud install method just like with Remingtons.

Thank you very much

Here is the Winchester bolt I just did a knob install on

photo-137.jpg

photo-138.jpg

photo-139.jpg

Knob pictured is a 3 ringed Phoenix that was hollowed.

Price on Winchester/FN installs are $125.
This includes Cerakote of the knob and handle, and return shipping. PCR knobs only.

Badger Thruster brake blended to a #7 Bartlein barrel

Fullerbrake005.jpg

Here's a Phoenix knob Keith did. I was expecting a great knob, but the work is immaculate. Better than I could have expected

DSCN2037.jpg

DSCN2038.jpg

DSCN2040.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the Winchester bolt I just did a knob install on

Knob pictured is a 3 ringed Phoenix that was hollowed.

Price on Winchester/FN installs are $125.
This includes Cerakote of the knob and handle, and return shipping. PCR knobs only. </div></div>

Thanks Keith, my buddy is ecstatic after seeing the pictures. He's amazed at the turnaround time being the first Winchester bolt you've worked on. It'll probably be a little easier for him to work the bolt on that rifle when hunting in Utah in November with gloves on.

His R700 bolt arrived yesterday and he's very happy with it.

Thanks guys and thanks for the pictures!

Went out and did some test firing today......

Phoenix Custom Rifles 6.5Creedmoor
Trued Rem700 with Phoenix knob
Oby 25" 5r barrel
AICS, bedded
Military Black Cerakote
5/8x24 Thread protector
More work was done, but that's the basics

Here are the pictures of the rifle, and a picture of the 6 shot group fired from it.

IMG_15941.jpg

IMG_15951.jpg

IMG_15961.jpg

IMG_15981.jpg

IMG_15991.jpg

IMG_16011.jpg

IMG_16021.jpg

IMG_16041.jpg

6 shots fired off my pack and rear bean bag at 113 yards:
photo9.jpg

The square "bullseye" pictured is .675" wide(inside the black).
I put a few more into that cluster after the pic was taken too.

keith ,nice work! wondering i have model 70 (jeweled) bolt,do you or some one you trust phosphate bolts? this is for my wife,any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you sir
No Im unaware on anyone offering that finishing process.

We're considering whether we want to take in bolts from Winchesters for Cerakote.
With the side swing safeties, its a matter of the price we charge being worth the work, and the outcome being up to our standards.

Id rather see the shroud/handle/body Cerakoted, and the swing safety blued. We dont do bluing though and dont have anyone near by.

Here is a beautiful 7mm Remington Magnum built by Brad Johns.
He built the rifle for himself so we werent going to post it as a company built rifle, but it's just too nice not to.

HuntingRiflewebpics008.jpg

HuntingRiflewebpics003.jpg

HuntingRiflewebpics011.jpg

This is how it shoots at <span style="font-weight: bold">500</span> yards. This group was from today. 162 Amax's I believe.
Under 1/2MOA is common for the rifle when we do our part.
HuntingRiflewebpics-1.jpg

This rifle has shot almost every load he's tried through it under half MOA.

A fine job was done on my Savage bolt. Quick turnaround, great workmanship - a slick job all around.

IMG_1190.JPG

I see nothing but good craftsmanship here. Can't begin to tell you how hard these guys have worked for me with my current build.

Can't wait for some pictures to get dropped with my stick complete! I could go for some 500 yard group pictures too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crunchysuperman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A fine job was done on my Savage bolt. Quick turnaround, great workmanship - a slick job all around.
</div></div>

Now that just looks great.... Another thing to add to the list for down the road.... Nice work PCR!

When I send my rifle in for truing of the action and rebarrel this spring I want that. lol

Here's a sneak peak pic of my latest before I get better ones taken.

It's a 260.

photo-108-1.jpg

I'll take some good pictures this weekend and replace this post.
Just had to show it off a little real quick.

Thats our new lab mix Sheiba watching over it

This looks great, I'll be contacting you about some work. Thanks for all the pics.

All these riflesand bolts look great! I'm glad I found some good hard workin guys for my builds. Can't wait to see som pics of my gun. Thanx brad and Keith !

Jordan, I will be building your rifle and I start on it soon. It's next.

I have your A5 and your action here looking them over. Once the barrel arrives I will begin.
I'll need to be giving you a call soon to go over some things.

It's going to be a very nice rifle.

All caught up on bolt knob installs guys.

2 day turn around on knob installs.

2 week turn around on most rifle work.

1 month turn around on complete rifle builds if all parts are supplied.

Thanks guys

Keith

Keith you did a phenomenal job on the bolt knob. I appreciate it. Once I'm ready to true and re barrel I will be sending the rifle your way.

Hi Keith,

Are you still offering the scout knob? I really like the scout you installed on my 308 and now I am thinking I want the same on my 300wm.

RingSteel thank you very much.

Yes we still offer the Scout. We just dont have it up on the website. Someone else came up with that design, so I dont want to call it ours. But Id be happy to make it for you.

That knob looks real good, you might be getting a call from me soon Keith! Keep em coming...

Nice pics thanks for the post!

Keep it lubed up well while you work it in. It helps the Cerakote.
Should add, thats not our fluting job on that bolt. We don't offer fluting.. not a fan of it.

Thank you very much.
Keith

Another great looking rifle guys!
I really like my PCR creedmoor!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a beautiful 7mm Remington Magnum built by Brad Johns.
He built the rifle for himself so we werent going to post it as a company built rifle, but it's just too nice not to.

HuntingRiflewebpics008.jpg

HuntingRiflewebpics003.jpg

HuntingRiflewebpics011.jpg

This is how it shoots at <span style="font-weight: bold">500</span> yards. This group was from today. 162 Amax's I believe.
Under 1/2MOA is common for the rifle when we do our part.
HuntingRiflewebpics-1.jpg

This rifle has shot almost every load he's tried through it under half MOA. </div></div>

What? No custom knob? :-D

That's a nice looking rifle, nice shooting for both the rifle and the trigger actuator!

Here's a few bolts that came in Saturday and shipping today (Monday).

larrybolt009.jpg

Alright guys Side bolt releases are done!

photo-149.jpg

This one functions flawlessly so far. I think their pins should be longer and may look into new pins.

Our 2nd Gen stops may use threaded pins and a blind hole. Thats TBD. If we stick with the through hole and non-threaded pins, we will be using slightly longer pins and sealing the top hole before Cerakote on full builds so the pin is trapped and there's no visible hole on top. It will look better and be even more bullet-proof.

These stops are designed to hit against the rear of the slot and contact the action. No pressure is put on the pin itself(well, not from the bolts rearward throw anyways).
The pin holes in the stops are not just round holes, their slots. The stop is allowed to slide rearward and contact the action, so that no pressure is put on the pin.

Here is a picture of some custom grip work Im doing to my A5.
We have epoxy in every color Mcmillan uses in their stocks so we can duplicate their colors and patterns to the best of <span style="font-style: italic">our</span> ability. Here Im trying to match a Marble swirl. Not easy, takes many applications and sandings but I'll get it.
Feels Niiice too.
Once it gets some sanding done, and some texturing applied, then some sanding again
smile.gif
, it will be done. Maybe
photo-148.jpg