• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Phoenix Custom Rifles work pics and reviews

Re: Phoenix Custom Rifles work pics and reviews

Sent off a bolt during the GB. Fast turn around and outstanding work. Thanks to Keith for offering the sweet deal.

Thanks for helping me out on such short notice, bolt came out great. You guys have top notch customer service, cant wait to get more work done.

Picture 004 by HendrixLead123, on Flickr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright guys Side bolt releases are done!

photo-149.jpg

This one functions flawlessly so far. I think their pins should be longer and may look into new pins.

Our 2nd Gen stops may use threaded pins and a blind hole. Thats TBD. If we stick with the through hole and non-threaded pins, we will be using slightly longer pins and sealing the top hole before Cerakote on full builds so the pin is trapped and there's no visible hole on top. It will look better and be even more bullet-proof.

These stops are designed to hit against the rear of the slot and contact the action. No pressure is put on the pin itself(well, not from the bolts rearward throw anyways).
The pin holes in the stops are not just round holes, their slots. The stop is allowed to slide rearward and contact the action, so that no pressure is put on the pin. </div></div>

nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a picture of some custom grip work Im doing to my A5.
We have epoxy in every color Mcmillan uses in their stocks so we can duplicate their colors and patterns to the best of <span style="font-style: italic">our</span> ability. Here Im trying to match a Marble swirl. Not easy, takes many applications and sandings but I'll get it.
Feels Niiice too.
Once it gets sanding in and some texturing applied, then some sanding again
smile.gif
, it will be done.
photo-148.jpg
</div></div>

WTF?........

And the next one, before Cerakote.

Its a 243 Target Rifle.

photo-152.jpg

photo-153.jpg

I only fired 4 rounds from this rifle. One to sight in, and then these 3.
No break-in procedure. Im being shown strong evidence it doesn't matter. Rifles seem to shoot 1/2MOA(or less) just as easily <span style="font-style: italic">with</span> or <span style="font-style: italic">without</span> break in. Just be sure it's spotless before that first bullet goes down the tube.

Keith did an excellent job on this new knob for my FN SPR A5 [img:left]
IMG_1561.jpg
[/img]
[img:left]
IMG_1563.jpg
[/img]

Edit: That's lube @ the top of the knob stem. Finish looks flawless.

My new creedmoor is done. Shoots under half MOA with factory ammo.
Pics of it to come.

We've been lazy on pics guys, I know. We're just so busy taking care of work. Pictures and the internet have been put on the back burner for the time being.

Feel free to post pics of work we've done guys. Thanks!

Phoenix Custom Rifles
7mm Rem Mag
Enjoy!
FullerBuild001.jpg

FullerBuild005.jpg

FullerBuild002.jpg

FullerBuild004.jpg

Keith, recieved my bolt, fantastic job! Thanks for the great work and customer service!

I just got my bolt back from Keith last night after he installed a slightly extended Marksman knob. It looks great and feels even better in my hand. And, even after all the great pics and reviews posted here, the results are still better than I expected. Keith is great to deal with and from the time he got my bolt, it took less than a week to get back into my hands. I will definitely be sending more bolts Keith's way in the future. I'll try and get a few pics posted over the weekend.

Shipped my rifle on a Friday to PCR to get a brake put on. The following Thursday I couldn't believe I already received it back. Looks great and super fast turn around, couldn't be happier.
Thanks Keith

Keith how are you mounting the rifle to the tripod? Are you guys setting barrels and doing chambering?

Scott

Keep up the good work guys!

Folks, Keith and Brad are meticulous and have done outstanding work for me everything they've done for me. Do not hesitate to have them work on or build your stuff!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep up the good work guys!

Folks, Keith and Brad are meticulous and have done outstanding work for me everything they've done for me. Do not hesitate to have them work on or build your stuff!</div></div>

+2!

Keith just bedded my 260 action into a McMillan A1-3 with R&D BM. I haven't had it at the range yet, but the bedding job looks great. PCR is also in the beginning of building my new 6.5 Super LR on a TAC-30AW w/ Rock 5R and McMillan A5, can't wait for that rifle to be done!! Brad and Keith are great to talk to and are up front and honest guys. Turn around time is quite fast, but I expect that to change as word gets out on the quality of their work.
wink.gif

Thanks guys the kind words are much appreciated.

The tripod attaches using a 1/4"x20tpi screw. The tripod came with a quick detach that has the 1/4"x20 bolt on it, I mounted this to the rifle by embedding a piece of steel into the stock threaded for the 1/4" bolt.

I'll take some pics and post em.

Thanks again everyone!

Just some grip work I tried. I wanted some material added to the front of my A5 grip, and figured I'd try it with finger grooves.

May end up rasping em off and making it smooth one day. For now I like it.

We have every color that Mcmillan has in epoxy, in fact the kit is from them. So we can match any color and in theory any pattern they offer. I've thought about offering custom stock work on Mcmillan stocks. That grip is formed to my hands, but one for a customer would have to be generic and done with some sort of tool to make it ambidextrous and uniform. Simple material adding or removing along with texturing would be pretty easy to do.

Here's how the quick detach mounts to the rifle.

photo-159.jpg

photo-160.jpg

Took a steel bar, turned the OD of one end 3/4"x16tpi, drilled the center and tapped it 1/4"x20tpi. Cut off the end, then epoxied it into the center of my stock with Ti Devcon. Found center by edge finding in a mill, then plunged in .450" with a 3/4" end mill.
You could also knurl the outside rather than thread it. Threading was just easier for me.
I also roughed up the 3/4" hole in the stock with a Dremel. I made the hole an upside-down mushroom shape, so it formed a mechanical lock.

Thank for viewing.

Finally back from a long Coues whitetail hunt in southern az.
I took this buck second to the last day. 15 days hunting and it's the biggest buck that I looked at this season.

I shot him with my PCR 7mag, 162 amax @ 3050. He was 325 yds across the canyon.

Thanks to Keith for covering for me and everyone's patience while I was away.

The Coues head in the rifle picture was taken back in the late 90's.
046.jpg

Taken Dec. 30, 2011
031.jpg

What stock is that on that 7mm mag Brad Jonhs. built

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rottenron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What stock is that on that 7mm mag Brad Jonhs. built</div></div>

It's an M40A1 ( or HTG) McMillan gelcoat stock with GAP molded in camo. Plus, I gotta have the adjustable cheek.

Scroll down to the HTG
http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-hunting-stock-list.php?subnav=branch2d

Brad / Keith:

UPS just reported my rifle arrived in Phoenix earlier today and should be delivered to PCR tomorrow. Woooohoooo!
cool.gif

GTGunner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phm14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith did an excellent job on this new knob for my FN SPR A5 [img:left]
IMG_1561.jpg
[/img]
IMG_1563.jpg
[/img]

Edit: That's lube @ the top of the knob stem. Finish looks flawless. </div></div>

Sorry for being off topic, but what bottom metal is this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrewF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phoenix Custom Rifles

FullerBuild005.jpg

What Color is this barreled action?
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CnC1018</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phm14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith did an excellent job on this new knob for my FN SPR A5 [img:left]
IMG_1561.jpg
[/img]
IMG_1563.jpg
[/img]

Edit: That's lube @ the top of the knob stem. Finish looks flawless. </div></div>

Sorry for being off topic, but what bottom metal is this? </div></div>

OEM

Took my 6.5Creedmoor to an 1100 yard National Guard range this weekend and got to shoot human silhouettes out to that distance.

Rifle did very well and after getting my dope for 1100 yards at that range, I could send em in pretty regularly. Got 3 in a row, then switched sides and got it first shot left handed.
Shooting 140gr Amax Factory Honady ammo from a 23" barrel.

Also got to shoot an MG42.

Almost no wind all morning.
Was quite a fun day
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a beautiful 7mm Remington Magnum built by Brad Johns.
He built the rifle for himself so we werent going to post it as a company built rifle, but it's just too nice not to.

HuntingRiflewebpics008.jpg

HuntingRiflewebpics003.jpg

HuntingRiflewebpics011.jpg

This is how it shoots at <span style="font-weight: bold">500</span> yards. This group was from today. 162 Amax's I believe.
Under 1/2MOA is common for the rifle when we do our part.
HuntingRiflewebpics-1.jpg

i am in love with this rifle nice job

This rifle has shot almost every load he's tried through it under half MOA. </div></div>

Did something a little different for a customer today...
photo-177.jpg

photo-179.jpg

Actually feels and looks pretty damn good in person. With the bolt closed from the side you dont even see the mod.

Made another brake too. Same design.

Muzzle pokes out of this one a little too far. By the time I had the large port cleaned up thats how much was left.

photo-178.jpg

Going out of the shop this week.

Rock Creek #7 bbl 10T SS 5R @26" to muzzle
Thruster Brake
Chambered with PT&G Tactical Match 300 WM reamer

DaveCorbett300wm004.jpg

DaveCorbett300wm001.jpg

Hey Keith, I was wondering if you do installs for Badger tactical bolt knobs, thanks.

We dont use Badger knobs because they use a different thread pitch. We can put one on if the customer sends one in, but we dont stock them.
If the customer supplies one, it's $65 to install it.

Thanks keith

If I wanted to have you do the badger knob and your bolt handle reinforcement
Would I send my bolt, the knob, and a check for $95 or what

Sorry I am new to this and all info is appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Off topic, but whats the weight/countour of that sexy 7 mag above?</div></div>

It's a light varmint contour and about 10# with sling, scope and full magazine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cody2331</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks keith

If I wanted to have you do the badger knob and your bolt handle reinforcement
Would I send my bolt, the knob, and a check for $95 or what
</div></div>

Yes sir