• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Phoenix Custom Rifles work pics and reviews

Re: Phoenix Custom Rifles work pics and reviews

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's my new 6.5Creed match rifle.
Sittin on the new tripod. Should be a little more stable than bone support.
photo-156.jpg

photo-155.jpg

photo-154.jpg
</div></div>

Looks really good!! The wife wants to know what contour that barrel is Keith?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
photo-178.jpg
</div></div>

Keith, any plans to sell this brake?

No sir, simply because I can not begin to compete with companies cranking them out by the box full. Machining 304 SS is a bitch.
Making them manually, Id have to sell them for $110 or so. Plus installation; or Id have to come up with thin washers for people to use to time it themselves on a pre-threaded barrel.

If someone REALLY wanted one, and was willing to pay $110, then actually yes Id make one. But thats a lot to pay for a brake that honestly wouldn't look CNC made. Mine pictured above looks good, but its not perfect. Any machinist could tell it was done manually.

Hey Keith, I was wondering if when the bolt knob installation and the bolt handle reinforcement are done how much refinishing needs to be done on the bolt. I ask because I need to know if after it is done if I need you to cerakote the entire bolt or not to keep it looking nice.
Thanks

We can put the 8-40 screw in pretty easily without scratching anything. Same with knob installs.

We will coat the handle and knob together if need be to make it look as good as possible.

Thanks, I will be shipping my bolt within the next few days.

Do you have one of the 4 groove Phoenix knobs that will thread onto a Stiller bolt that I could just order the knob and screw mine off and put that one on?

(Stiller TAC 30 Left handed action, going in a McRee Chassis)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have one of the 4 groove Phoenix knobs that will thread onto a Stiller bolt that I could just order the knob and screw mine off and put that one on?

(Stiller TAC 30 Left handed action, going in a McRee Chassis) </div></div>

Yep thats no problem.
We sell single knobs for $35. That includes Cerakote and shipping.

Just need to know the diameter of the shoulder on the handle. I think Stillers are around .375" or so.

Hey Keith:

Just wanted to let you know that my rifle arrived today here in Florida. Want to thank you and Brad for the outstanding work on my 5R. I am very happy with the results. It is absolutely amazing the attention to detail and quality work you both did on each aspect of the rifle. The knob install, cerakote finish, and the threading of the barrel are second to none. I will snap some images and post here in the next few days.

Here are some pictures I took yesterday after work of my R700 5R. The work Keith and Brad did is outstanding.

Infidel_0070.jpg

Infidel_0078.jpg

Phoenix bolt knob and Timney trigger installed (set @ 3lbs):

Infidel_0077.jpg

Shroud mod, Phoenix bolt knob details, and 8-40 bolt added to handle for reinforcement:

Infidel_0072.jpg

Details of thread protector covering the threads Keith added to the barrel (Where's the joint?....awesome work guys!):

Infidel_0075.jpg

Infidel_0074.jpg

Infidel_0073.jpg

The 5R now ready for business........Bambi had better watch his six!
laugh.gif

Infidel_0076.jpg

Looks great thanks for the pics!

<span style="color: #990000">Remember guys, please always clean your bores/chambers when you get the rifle back from us. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Clean Just in case.</span> </span>

Here's an LTR that got a make-over.

Trued the receiver face and lugs, and trued the bolt lugs.

Set the barrel back and used an oversized lug from PTG.

Opened the base holes to 8-40, installed a Varminter knob, shroud mod, threaded muzzle with cap, bedded it, and Cerakoted it Olive Drab with some black parts for contrast.

photo-191.jpg

photo-192.jpg

photo-190.jpg

photo-194.jpg

photo-193.jpg

photo-195.jpg

photo-196.jpg

photo-197.jpg

Here are a few more pics of projects just finished up...

300WM on a Defiance action, with a Rock barrel and Badger FTE brake. AICS skins are being dipped.
photo-199.jpg

photo-206.jpg

photo-203.jpg

7-08 on a Defiance action Mcmillan stock, PTG bottom metal, and Rock barrel. Very nice rifle...
photo-198.jpg

photo-204.jpg

photo-205.jpg

photo-207.jpg

Thread protector ready for the flats to be milled...
photo-200.jpg

photo-202.jpg

photo-201.jpg

Great work Keith. Attention to detail is amazing. You obviously take great pride in your work. Paul.
cool.gif

Thank you very much.

The 7-08 was done in blasted SS. While leaving some parts shiny for some contrast. Looks sweeeet.
Bottom metal was done same way.
The last pic of it where the barrel looks wavy, thats from my iphone.

After milling the flatts on that thread protector, a 7/8" wrench can be used on it in a pinch to loosen it. Plus it gives extra grab with your fingers. I'll try to post a pic of it finished.

Was the barreled action blasted with aluminum oxide or glass beads?

Thank you PPR!

ackleyfan, the finish on there is from blasting aggressively with aluminum oxide. 120grit.

We'd prefer to bead blast but we do not yet have a bead blast cabinet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally back from a long Coues whitetail hunt in southern az.
I took this buck second to the last day. 15 days hunting and it's the biggest buck that I looked at this season.

I shot him with my PCR 7mag, 162 amax @ 3050. He was 325 yds across the canyon.

Thanks to Keith for covering for me and everyone's patience while I was away.

The Coues head in the rifle picture was taken back in the late 90's.
046.jpg

Taken Dec. 30, 2011
031.jpg
</div></div>

Y'all have some beautiful rifles in this thread, but this one is my favorite. What barrel contour is that, around a 4 or 5? It seems to be a perfect size for a "semi" light weight hunting rig.

Thanks Santee,

It's a light varmint contour Shilen Match @ 24".

I am getting ready to send my rifle in. I can't waitro get it back.

New to this so might be a simple question do you thread barrels for. Rem 700 sps/tact 20" in.223 and how much?

Got my bolt back yesterday looks great!!!! I asked for a little differnt style of knob and It came out just how I envisioned, first class work and service... I'll post pic soon thanks guys!

Sent my rifle in last week can't wait for it to be done, I'm sure it's going to turn out great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buck0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New to this so might be a simple question do you thread barrels for. Rem 700 sps/tact 20" in.223 and how much? </div></div>

Yes sir, $125 which includes timing of any attachment that may be going on. That also includes re-crowning.

Thanks guys!

Havent been online much lately because we've been super busy. Trying real hard to keep build time to under 8 weeks...

Thanks again!

I asked this on another thread, but this thread has more visibility. What exactly is the PCR Shroud mod?

The PCR shroud mod is just a slight cosmetic modification we do to the factory Remington shrouds.

We put 60* angles where the radius's normally are on the rear of the shroud.

Just looks kool.

A couple PCR shrouds Keith did for me. Keep up the good work Keith and Brad.
16j0tjc.jpg

7Rem Mag recently finished
photo-237.jpg

photo-236.jpg

photo-234.jpg

We're busy working every day guys. We're about 3 months out on full builds including truing and Cerakote, and we're about 1 month out on misc work.
Bolt knobs always get done within 3 days. Bedding is usually about 1 week.

Call anytime Monday through Friday, 10am-5pm

Thanks everyone!

Looks nice but with that barrel and choate stock is has to be a heavy beast!

Heavy has its advantages as I have a Savage 10FP with the same stock, heavy barrel (24"), same style rings & rail with a SS 5-20 on it and it certainly is a tank. Now if I could get a load for it down that would be perfect but we are having issue in that arena LOL. Nice work as always Keith! Do you cerakote handguns?

No we're not coating handguns. Just bolt guns for now.

Here's one group from my 6.5Creedmoor yesterday. Shot a rapid fire 10 shot group that was about 3/4".
Then slow fired this....
photo-238.jpg

Pulled one left.

The Creedmoor is a GREAT round. I'll damn near guarantee 1/4" from any Creed I build with a #7 size barrel. Same goes for 308wins.

How much to fix a jenked up bolt knob install and install new bolt knob with Cerakote? You might even have to install a new handle.

Could you guys shorten a bolt shroud along with the PCR shroud mod?

Repair of bolt handles is the same price as a normal install.
If its boogered to the point that I cant do the install, I can send it to someone who can replace the handle, and put a knob on the new handle.

We can shorten the shroud slightly. I wouldn't want to shorten it much more than we already do.

I just got back a bolt that I had a marksman knob put on. I also had the entire bolt Cerakoted along with my bottom metal and part of the magazine. The work done is great and they were good guys to deal with. Thanks.

We're about 2 months out on full rifle builds right now. Barreled actions going out with no stock work, trigger work, or Cerakote can be done in a couple weeks.

Cerakoting of barreled actions takes about 3 weeks. We're working on our entire Cerakote set-up right now. Getting a very nice oven, a couple dip tanks, and doubling the size of the Cerakote room. Using C and H series Cerakote.

Bedding takes about one week. We've been bedding stocks for Mcmillan since they're so backed up right now. Using the steel and Titanium Devcon. Just depends on which we prefer for the stock type. Chassis get Ti exclusively.

Bolt knob installs take about 3 days right now. Remingtons are $90. Savages, Howas, and FN/winchesters are $110.

Thanks everyone!

... might just look you guys up when my Stiller action is ready. Have a big fat 6.5mm Obermeyer barrel ready to go as well.

TAG!