• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Phone issue

MarshallDodge

At the Reloading Bench
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2007
Utah
My phone fell out of my pocket and a little rock cracked the camera lens. I took it to a Ubreakifix store and they did a great job on the repair but they messed up all the settings in my phone.

They said they needed the password to test it and do some diagnostics and I gave it to them, but I guess they connected it to some kind of Samsung test system and in order to connect it, they put it in developer mode, and when I got it back they said some settings were reset.

Is this legit or do you think the repair techs were trying to pull stuff off my phone? I don't have anything real sensitive on it, pulled the SD card before I dropped it off, but should they be getting in people's phones like that?

If you gave them the password they already had full access to pull anything off it.
I did give them access to the phone but they are asking me for a review of their work. Should I give them a good review or nick them for messing up my settings. Every time I pick up my phone I am finding something else I need to fix in the settings...ringtones, alerts, wifi, apps, all of my Bluetooth devices are wiped, and even colors are off.

You did change your password on the return of your phone ?

Yep, they had access to everything on your phone.

If I were to take my phone in for service, I'd think about installing a clean, second SIM card in the phone before handing it over to a repair shop.

Like most people.....I doubt you have anything that sensitive on your phone.

If anything, Id change sensitive passwords....banks, loans, email, etc. Better safe, than sorry!

Reactions: John's Friend
gave password for a broken camera lens..ugh.

at best, its nothing.

at worst, welp...

just depends on what apps you had, app authentication methods, etc.

WTF do they need to change settings or install anything for a simple hardware replacement?

Another dumbass has been born.

Why the hell would you give them the PW. Hope you dont have all your CC/bank info saved on it....

Doc

Another dumbass has been born.

Why the hell would you give them the PW. Hope you dont have all your CC/bank info saved on it....

Doc
Nothing is saved on my phone, including banking and cc info. I have two banking apps but they need two step authentication.

All personal pics were removed.

I'm still trying to figure out if this is normal protocol for phone repair.

id throw the phone in the trash tbh...

wouldnt trust they did a factory reset. would defintely wipe it, for sure.

they likely installed spyware to track, listen and watch you whenever they want.