• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Phone Taps

Re: Phone Taps

Sir, quite some many years ago when I was working in a rather high profile criminal case, and, because of some anomalous events that occurred during conversations only with retaining counsel, I contacted my service provider who informed me that, following a review of my line, "there was no evidence that calls to and from my line were being intercepted." The service provider, however, also said that "if a warrant had been obtained to intercept transmissions on my line, they would be unable to provide me with any information about the integrity of any voice communication over it." I should add that this was way long before the Patriot Act (sic).

In the old days you could tell but it's all digital now.

All of our phones are tapped, monitored, recorded if it meets criteria.

But if you believe yours to be tapped for a criminal investigation there is a warrant for it, but they can seal them until after the investigation so you won't know. Or it could be public.

Why do you believe this? Do you hear clicking?

Try

Scotland Yard Spy Shop
(775) 323-3232
1085 S Virginia St, Reno, NV 89502

Theyll be able to sell you something that will tell if any electronic bugs are in place. Actual line taps may be more difficult but it never hurts to ask. Good luck

Assume they are and act accordingly
wink.gif

Not sure of the technical aspects since that isn't my side of the game but I do know that they can get landlines, cell phones, sat phones and even retrieve text messages in their entirety.

As with everything, there are ways around it though.

First up front to conduct a wire tap without a search warrant is a felony for the Feds and in most states. So if the Law is doing it contrary to the wacos running around it has been to a Judge and approved......even under the Patriot Act.

Now the technical aspects. All the circuits in the US are digital and the LEO's use the providers services to set up the computer links to the switches. This is especially true for cell phones.

For a land line say to your house you could go directly to the wires in your switch box but unless you have a "Black Van" parked very close to your residence its doubtful if anyone is doing it the "old fashioned" way. This method previously required the phone company to grant access to the old switch stations to "clip into the line"

Thats about all I can say but the Federal Law requires the phone companies to cooperate with LEA

I just wear a hat made of aluminum foil, seems to be working fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Serious question anyone know how this is done? and <span style="text-decoration: underline">can you tell if your phone might be tapped.</span></div></div>

The SWAT Team kicking down your door generally has something to do with that.
grin.gif
cool.gif
grin.gif

On a serious note though, It was learned to me years ago to always assume that you're being watched, eavesdropped upon, and followed.

And to take steps to protect yourself because of it. Keep your nose clean, and don't do anything that can bring embarrassment to The Family or yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M25BeastShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First up front to conduct a wire tap without a search warrant is a felony for the Feds and in most states. So if the Law is doing it contrary to the wacos running around it has been to a Judge and approved......even under the Patriot Act.

Now the technical aspects. All the circuits in the US are digital and the LEO's use the providers services to set up the computer links to the switches. This is especially true for cell phones.

For a land line say to your house you could go directly to the wires in your switch box but unless you have a "Black Van" parked very close to your residence its doubtful if anyone is doing it the "old fashioned" way. This method previously required the phone company to grant access to the old switch stations to "clip into the line"

Thats about all I can say but the Federal Law requires the phone companies to cooperate with LEA </div></div>

Nothing aginst the law has happened. But there are individuals trying to get information because of a lawsuit.
I also had a warning that my phone could get tapped.

While I was talking to my wife all of a sudden there would be a dead spot in the conversation like someone was on call waiting. I asked my wife if someone was trying to call and she said no.

The tinfoil part for me is that I actually don't have any involvment.
If this is the case I want to have some fun with it.

Thanks to those that replied.

Assume it is. a dead spot would occur if it were the old system and someone was clipping a butt set on.

They do n't tap wires anymore, used to be they used vampire-taps but these days it's all digital and they cna just copy the signal off without alerting you.

But just because it's illegal does not mean it's not being done to garnish some information, the "Salami" technique of gathing little bits of info works....

So if you have reason to believe that a PI is involved don't use the phone! In fact if you want to be really paranoid don't have conversatoins with anyone outside of a known safe place.

Look if you think your shit is being tapped just cancel the line and get a new one every month. Or use a burner (pre paid cell phone). Use it for a week and destroy it meaning burn the phone and sim card. Then buy a new one they are like $30. Or you could use an Internet phone and easily change the number weekly for a small fee those are a real pain in the ass to listen in on. Or use an encrypted network like skype on the Internet. There are tons of easier ways to get around these things.

I'm not going to get to paranoid about this. I thinks it's funny if this is actually happening. I told my wife when I heard the dead spots that this could be happening. So we won't say anything. Infact it might be very boring for the person tapping the line.
We are in the process of moving and my Wife has this last week at her old job and then everything is turned off.

If it is being tapped it is by a private party.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to tinfoil the windows now and hide the dog. I will sacrafice the cat though. All I can say is good luck cat I will miss you.

Did this to my own phone a while ago during a rough time with X's. I had a recorder on the line and you could not tell when it was recording because as soon as you pick up the line it changes the voltage on the line starting the tape recorder.
Mine was an older version of this.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2123175
pRS1C-2305378w345.jpg

I also used a tap detector to check for taping on my "internal" wiring similar to this.
http://www.eaprotection.com/tele-guard-telephone-tap-detector.aspx
It would stop all conversation if a line was picked up or a recorder device was installed. Problem is you have to know the system is clear before you start.
As others have said your best solution is to not discuss anything on a phone you would not tell your mother or your boss.

Add
Don't ask how I know this but most people who think their line is tapped that do illegal activities will often say "don't say anything cuz the line is tapped" in the beginning of the conversation and by the end say some of the most incriminating shit you would never believe. Sometimes it can be quite humorous when played back to a jury.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just wear a hat made of aluminum foil, seems to be working fine. </div></div>

FTW!!!

TinFoilHatArea.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will sacrafice the cat though. All I can say is good luck cat I will miss you. </div></div>

Damn, between the thread about the eharmonygirls cat hangup, and "how to bathe a cat" thread, cats have been having a rough week here on the hide.

And theyre such nice little critters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will sacrafice the cat though. All I can say is good luck cat I will miss you. </div></div>

Damn, between the thread about the eharmonygirls cat hangup, and "how to bathe a cat" thread, cats have been having a rough week here on the hide.

And theyre such nice little critters. </div></div>

Fuck cats!! I use to use feral cats as target practice when I was a young boy. The compost pile my parents had would bait them in. Little tick infested disease ridden bastards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 144:1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will sacrafice the cat though. All I can say is good luck cat I will miss you. </div></div>

And theyre such nice little critters. </div></div>

Fuck cats!! I use to use feral cats as target practice when I was a young boy. The compost pile my parents had would bait them in. <span style="color: #3366FF"><span style="text-decoration: underline"> Little tick infested disease ridden bastar</span>ds.</span> </div></div>

Again, not if you bathe them!

And I have no doubt that was the prevailing attitude of 2/3ds of Europe and east Asia the day before the <span style="font-size: 26pt">BLACK PLAGUE!!!!</span>