• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos in threads only loading halfway?

Basher

I fly stuff and I know things.
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2004
Lafayette IN, USA
I’ve noticed lately, both on an iPhone 6S and a new iPhone XS that photos will show as a full thumbnail on someone’s post, but when I click it to bring it fullsize, the resulting image only loads the top half. Anyone else noticing this? If I click the arrow icon at the top right, it’ll open a new browser tab with the full image, but I shouldn’t need to do that normally. I’ve attached a few photos to show what I’m talking about.

44FAE0D4-E530-47AA-8E31-613466172326.png

D9CC8861-AC70-4FA9-99B5-D8C52A8A9EDF.png

Mine does this as well. If you turn your phone to landscape mode it fixes it.

It is annoying though.

Still does it in landscape mode for me.

However, if I use 3D Touch (press on the photo for a “preview,” then press harder to open the photo in it’s own window) then I can get around it. Unnecessary steps, but not too much trouble.

My new iPhone does the same. My old one it replaced a month ago didn’t.

Same here. For me though it will only be one picture out of the group, never know which one it will be though.

Reactions: Basher
I have a 7plus and this prob didn’t start till I did the iOS update. For me it’s just the first picture every time but the others are viewable. Annoying because the first picture is usually the main photo.

Mine is the same as bladehound, today it seems to be working.
I’m using a iPhone XS

It happens on my iPad but only on the first picture. If there are multiple thumbnail pictures the second etc open fully.

Reactions: Average guy
Apple is notorious for dropping support on the stupidest things in their updates, forcing thousands of vendors to update their app/website/etc. I cross my fingers every time with my car.. had to go without the scrolly wheel on my HUD being able to pick the song for like 6 months once after an update. Annoying as hell!

Apple is notorious for dropping support on the stupidest things in their updates, forcing thousands of vendors to update their app/website/etc. I cross my fingers every time with my car.. had to go without the scrolly wheel on my HUD being able to pick the song for like 6 months once after an update. Annoying as hell!
Just realized also what a “first world problem” this is 😂

I’ve noticed this “feature” for years on this site. I just open the image in a new tab and it usually works.

@lowlight this is a repeatable bug across different browsers and operating systems. I know it’s not that important, just checking as this bug has been here since Day One of the new forum software.

Hopefully you can see this but try tapping the photo then this box. It has been fixing the issue for me.

Attachments

• 41A3A84F-44E1-4262-9CA3-8A17B832F6B7.jpeg
    41A3A84F-44E1-4262-9CA3-8A17B832F6B7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
Great

I will turn off all photos, upload to your own site or server and link them, I will kill the vehicle to host your images on my site

That should fix it

LOL, I love your no BS approach to stuff, Frank! :ROFLMAO: I’d prefer that not be the path you take, but this is your home!

Me? I’ve learned to live with it. There are work arounds that help and are easy enough on mobile, such as long-touching an image which will open a preview window. Let that fully load, then the image in the forum itself should load all the way. :)

I have changed the settings and definitely limited your ability to load photos,

Now you will have to edit them smaller, the file sizes are reduced, smaller files load better, too many were on the Unlimited Track with their photo uploads using the site to host vs an actual photo host

So everything go adjusted, the impact won't appear for a while but, it's been changed

Reactions: Basher
Great

I will turn off all photos, upload to your own site or server and link them, I will kill the vehicle to host your images on my site

That should fix it

I pay what I can to contribute back to the Hide, I was just speaking as a guy with some knowledge of this process, a happy Hide member, and a fellow forum owner; that this looks like a software bug that could be reported to the software vendor and acted upon. Not trying to be a whiner.

Sounds like a bitch to me, which brought to my attention I didn't have limits set on the photos for certain accounts

So now there are limits in place and your media won't crush my servers, hosting images and stuff for people is a resource hog, use your own systems to host images and not my servers.

That will solve the problem, and last time I checked Xenforo is not taking software requests from me, sure they might, but not once has my opinion been asked for software upgrades. Usually, when things don't load completely it's because the file is too big and the connection is too small.

My stuff loads, I don't see problems, but then again I know new updates happen just about every month and a new one is due pretty soon that is supposed to be a bigger update.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Sounds like a bitch to me, which brought to my attention I didn't have limits set on the photos for certain accounts

So now there are limits in place and your media won't crush my servers, hosting images and stuff for people is a resource hog, use your own systems to host images and not my servers.

That will solve the problem, and last time I checked Xenforo is not taking software requests from me, sure they might, but not once has my opinion been asked for software upgrades. Usually, when things don't load completely it's because the file is too big and the connection is too small.

My stuff loads, I don't see problems, but then again I know new updates happen just about every month and a new one is due pretty soon that is supposed to be a bigger update.

I seriously was trying to help, I appreciate this site, and what you do here. Offloading image hosting is indeed getting rid of a resource hog that the Hide would have to eat in terms of cost and there are a ton of free hosting services out there.

Part of the problem is people are loading them like attachments and the sizes were too big,

if the image is in the post, there is no issue, as attachments they are treated different hence the odd loads,

the bugs are with the users more so than the software, load images like images are supposed to be, and there is no problem

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I usually insert as an image, but recently have been guilty of leaving them as attachments. No real reason or explanation on why I changed, just did. But now that I know an inserted image uses less space than an attachment, I’ll make sure I got back to images. My apologies!

See? This thread wasn’t a total waste, I learned something new! :)