• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picatinny rail - 20 MOA or not

ITCharleston

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2012
I just picked up my new Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD today. For now, I am going to have to use my Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 off my 44 mag lever action.

My question is about a picatinny rail. Will I be able to zero this scope on a rail with built in 20 MOA or should i just get one that is flat?

Re: Picatinny rail - 20 MOA or not

Go with the 20 MOA. You can still zero at closer ranges yet have the power to get way out there if needed.

the biggest thing i had to worry about was internal adjustment for the scope. you have an advertised internal adjustment of 84 MOA so if you assume that you have 42 up and 42 down from center then a 20 MOA base should be good to go.

only if you plan on needing the extra elevation. otherwise i say no personally.

Buy the 20 MOA base. No problem at shorter distances and the elevation is there if you decide to shoot long.

You will save money in the long run.

The "buy once, cry once" axiom applies here.

As most others said - you won't notice it if you don't need it and if you need it you will have it. I can't think of any reason not to get the 20.

not unless you NEED it...

i've always run 20moa bases, in the past....as is the custom with anyone on the hide...gotta fit it!

but...as of late, i've started selling off my 20moa rails and have gone to 0moa to get lower ocular heights. I only shoot to 500 yards, so I'll never need the additional MOA. I feel like they're almost outdated as more and more scopes are coming out with plenty of adjustment for just bout any legitimate round to go from 100-1000yds with no need for additional elevation from the base.