• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picatinny Scope Rail 20 MOA Question

Vortex Golden Eagle HD

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2021
lubbock, TX
Hello,

I have a Vortex Golden Eagle HD on my .300 Win Mag. If my scope has a maximum Elevation of 55 MOA, does the 20 MOA picatinny rail give me up to 75 MOA?
If I twist the elevation turret nob down until it bottoms out, does having 20 MOA rail as opposed to a 0 MOA rail mean I will have fewer clicks up when zeroing to 200 yards? I'm trying to figure out how the 20 MOA rail gets me to 75 MOA or is this wrong thinking? If my scope is limited to 440 clicks in elevation which equals 55 MOA, how can I hit a target at 1500 yards if the required DOPE is 468 clicks in elevation?
Thanks in advance for your feedback and explanations.

Chuck

Reactions: ImUrHucklbry
No
You basically have approximately 1/2 of that 55 moa available now with a 0 moa rail.
The 20 moa would add approximately 20moa more to that for about 47 ish moa available.

That possibly won’t enough for 1500 yards, depending on your speed and bullet it could barely make it.

Last edited:
No.
0moabase.jpg

They covered it...

That 55moa is total end to end travel between up and down. Let's assume once mounted on a zero moa base it is perfect on elevation. That will give you half, about 27.5moa up or down.

Assume again elevation is perfect when mounted on the 20moa base and you'll wind up with about 47.5 up and 7.5 down.

Typically it won't be perfect and you might eat up some of that useable elevation to bring your zero up. The inverse can also occur and you can gain a little elevation by bringing that zero down.

my scope is limited to 440 clicks in elevation which equals 55 MOA, how can I hit a target at 1500 yards if the required DOPE is 468 clicks in elevation?
You can buy a base with more tilt, but you may run out of adjustment the other way for your zero. You can also buy a new scope that has 34mm tubes which will have more elevation adjustment. Or add a Charlie TARAC.