• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Picked up a new FNH FN Five Seven

JohnC76

Pro Second Amendment
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2013
TN
Just picked it up today. :up:

FNH FN Five Seven and 100rds of 5.7x28mm ammo:

FN_Five_Seven_1.jpg

FN_Five_Seven_2.jpg

I understand this gun gets a ton of hate and starts pissing matches all over the web. Don't care. You either like it or not. I happen to like it. :cool:

Can't wait to shoot this thing! I'll get a range report asap! :cool:

I own one and trained with it. It's in a class of its own. Have fun.

Are you a LEO? Just curious, what agency uses them? A lot around here carry Glock and Sig in 9mm, 40cal, and 357sig. My neighbor is a LEO and carries a compact Glock 357sig as backup to his Sig 40cal.

Had one for over a year now.. great gun, however I believe what you're going to find right now is ammo is almost impossible to find so if you have a source I recommend buying all you can afford.

I've been reloading for 20 years and this round is by far the most difficult as it's extremely powder sensitive, dimensionally sensitive and the primers are staked in so best to swage the pockets.
5.7 brass also has a laquer coating to aid in extraction and removing this coating can cause extraction issues. For that reason I do not tumble or clean 5.7 brass prior to reloading as I do with other calibers.

If you do not reload save your 5.7 brass as you can sell it to reloaders.

I had one for around a year, I really liked it but just couldn't get it on target. It never failed to feed , and recoil was almost non existent. Like spradley said ammo can be tricky to obtain. Aftermarket sights are impossible to find as well. All in all though very fun weapon.

I'm glad you guys enjoy them. I admire the cartridge and would like pick up a pistol in that caliber but I'll wait until another offering comes along. I handled a five-seven and just did not like the ergonomics and plastics. Until that point I had been wanting to find one but after handling it I knew I would wait. That said I do have some polymer pistols and like them.

I'm glad you guys enjoy them. I admire the cartridge and would like pick up a pistol in that caliber but I'll wait until another offering comes along. I handled a five-seven and just did not like the ergonomics and plastics. Until that point I had been wanting to find one but after handling it I knew I would wait. That said I do have some polymer pistols and like them.

There is a new one about to hit the shelves. Some minor upgrades have been done.

five_seven_large.png

http://[URL]http://www.fnhusa.com/index.php?cID=503

Last edited:
Sight options

You have to search but there are a few options for sights.. here is my current setup with a Trijicon RMR:

Attachments

• 57_1.jpg
    57_1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 57_2.jpg
    57_2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 57_3.jpg
    57_3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 123
Those things are a blast to shoot, are you going to reload for it? My friend had a hard time reloading for his, he thought that FN had some coating on the brass or something because they couldnt get reloads to reliably extract

Those things are a blast to shoot, are you going to reload for it? My friend had a hard time reloading for his, he thought that FN had some coating on the brass or something because they couldnt get reloads to reliably extract

See my post #7 above.. If your friend removed the lacquer coating on the brass then that is why he's having extraction problems. It's there just for that reason. Unless you've been reloading for a long time, it can be a very challenging round to reload.

Yep, missed that post. Reloading for the 5.7 drove him and his father nuts, and they have been reloading for a LONG time. I couldn't beleive the difference in reliability the lacquer made, especially on a military cartridge.
See my post #7 above.. If your friend removed the lacquer coating on the brass then that is why he's having extraction problems. It's there just for that reason. Unless you've been reloading for a long time, it can be a very challenging round to reload.

Yep, missed that post. Reloading for the 5.7 drove him and his father nuts, and they have been reloading for a LONG time. I couldn't beleive the difference in reliability the lacquer made, especially on a military cartridge.

Definitely a pain and will try your patience. You need a chamber gauge to help or use the barrel from the pistol to ensure you're resizing correctly. The blowback design stretches the hell out of the brass so lot of work to get it back and I don't expect more than 3-5 reloads before brass is done.

Brass is coated.

I want to reload, but from what I'm hearing it might not be worth it.

I have had one of those damn thing for the last three years, just can't find any good reason to get rid of it or not shooting it.
congrats on the great buy, I know you'll enjoy your as much as i do mine. Get the PS 90 next.

I owned a 5.7 and a PS90, but I ended up selling them both. The 5.7 was a great gun, albeit loud, but I just couldn't get used to the trigger. It was a blast to shoot. Good luck finding ammo at a decent price:)

I owned a 5.7 and a PS90, but I ended up selling them both. The 5.7 was a great gun, albeit loud, but I just couldn't get used to the trigger. It was a blast to shoot. Good luck finding ammo at a decent price:)

Been finding it in stock for $1 a round so far. Can't wait for prices to come back down!

So folks can get an idea of the size of this round...

9mm 135gr Hydra Shock JHP, FNH 40gr 5.7x28, Federal Lake City M855 62gr 5.56x45

epu6ejy6.jpg

I got out there today. I fired one full mag (20rds) flawlessly. Handed it to my wife, went back to the 50 BMG and she and my Dad came back and told me it was failing to extract. I took it from them, put in a fresh 20rd mag, fired one shot and it also failed to extract.

This was with factory FNH 40gr ammo.

Gun is brand new, so maybe it's not broken in yet. Maybe it is because I didn't clean and lube it (shot it right out of the box new) before we shot it. I'll try again after a thoroughly clean and lube it.

FWIW, I did take it apart when I got home, took the barrel out and placed each spent case in the barrel. Seemed not all the necks of the cases expanded the same. Some look more expanded at the neck and don't seat all the way in the barrel. The ones that didn't expand like that seat deeper, but those are much much tighter and more difficult to pull out. I'm not a gun smith and don't know if that means anything, but found it odd. I'll snap pictures of the cases later.

This really made my day sour, though. I have a Sig 716 that has been picky as hell with ammo and was scratching and denting brass. So I bought some TulAmmo to try and break it in and that damn ammo jammed up so tight (FTE) I thought I'd never get those rounds out. Had to hamer the bolt shut, take it apart, and pry the bolt open from the under-side. I gave the same rounds to a range buddy and his HK and FN SCAR cycled the TulAmmo 308 150gr flawlessly. It fires Winchester 308 perfect, Winchester white box 7.62x51 flawlessly, but it'll once in a while FTF/FTE Federal Lake City M80 and absolutely won't cycle TulAmmo.

The Sig 716:

Sig_716_Scop_grip_pod-.jpg

Sig 716 denting cases normal? - SIG Talk

Second outing with the Sig 716 - SIG Talk

Sig 716 Failure To Feed/ Failure To Extract - SIG Talk

So now I have two guns bought new having issues. :(

Congrats on the purchase... It's a fun gun. Definitely a bit loud, especially for indoor ranges. But hey, it can be tamed fairly well, though it is still louder than I'd prefer with standard ammo...

7695843490366520130515_075740.jpg