• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picked up my Larue 18" .308 PredatOBR today

MSTN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
MIDDLE OF ARIZONA
mstn.biz
Well packaged! I was impressed with the neat little toolbox, The tidy Cordura tool roll for the components, the nifty barrel nut wrench, how smoothly the gun went together, and even the tiny key ring size carabiners they used to keep the latches on the toolbox from opening in shipment. Mostly, after waiting 19 months, I just wanted to get the rifle in my hands, even if it did just have a (shudder!) "Field Grade" barrel.

I like the PredatOBR. I already have an OBR and a PredatAR, but I think the PredatOBR is the rifle they should have built first! The ergonomics are much improved over the OBR, at least for me. The P'tOBR is better balanced I think than the lighter PredatAR. The pistol grip very nicely designed (but unfortunately too small for me - stippled Sierra Precision Rifle grip standing by). It reminds me of the HK45 grip - I don't care for the pistol, but I love its grip. What in the world do we need a new carbine stock for, I was thinking? But, the Larue RAT stock is really pretty nice, with some truly unique features - I think I'll leave it in place. This was my first exposure to the Black Gold trigger. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Since I plan for this eventually to be a precision rifle, I'll be putting a Geissele National Match in it, anyway.

I had a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS already sitting around in a mount, plus a spare suppressor mount, so with 5 minutes of tool time, but no cleaning, borescope inspection, lube, anything, off to the range I went. The sun was going down!

It was almost dark when I got there, so I just did a quick redneck boresight job, threw the suppressor and a Harris bipod on it, and plopped down on a concrete bench. Yeah, I know that Harris bipods and concrete benches are far less than optimum. At least I did remember to bring a rear bag.

Here's my first group at 100 yards, using some 12 year old Black Hills Red Box 168 SMK:

IMG_3217.JPG

Here's my next with M118LR:

IMG_3216.JPG

The sun was down now, so I banged away at some steel in the low light conditions for another 30 rounds. 40 or so rounds is not much, but it is reassuring when a new gun runs reliably.

It's surprisingly accurate! This initial accuracy is FAR better than I was expecting with this barrel. This batch of M118LR won't shoot any better in my OBR than this. And no rifle I own likes the BH 168 SMK - That's why I've had it around so long. Now, I don't know how this barrel is going to run when hot, dirty, etc. But, I think we are off to a positive start.

I'll get some rifle pix up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Wow. Nice groups from a "field grade" bbl. I should have my 18" 7.62 PredatOBR next week. I sure hope mine shoots as well as yours. Thanks for the write up

Thanks for posting up. I'm sending off my lower tomorrow. Would love to hear what loads you might cook up.

Do you have any concern with mounting your suppressor on a field grade barrel ?
Which can do you have ?

I know jack & schmidt about barrels but I know a thing or two about waiting FOREVER on the ATF. I have a SF SOCOM that should clear soon that's destined for my tOBR. I'm just concerned about putting it on the barrel. Any thoughts ?

I was going to toss mine up for sale once my GAP-10 was finished but that's certainly promising!

Thanks for posting up. I'm sending off my lower tomorrow. Would love to hear what loads you might cook up.

Do you have any concern with mounting your suppressor on a field grade barrel ?
Which can do you have ?

I know jack & schmidt about barrels but I know a thing or two about waiting FOREVER on the ATF. I have a SF SOCOM that should clear soon that's destined for my tOBR. I'm just concerned about putting it on the barrel. Any thoughts ?

I was going to toss mine up for sale once my GAP-10 was finished but that's certainly promising!

The P'tOBR barrel is very stout in profile. No worries suppressed. Every round fired today was suppressed. Gotta love that PST. Still, looking at how far the brass was going, I may go try running an H3 buffer (H2 is standard) shooting suppressed.

I'm using a Surefire FA762SS, the legacy overlap design. Love it. I've got a .308 SOCOM waiting for the ATF, as well. I think a 16" P'tOBR for it?!?

The P'tOBR barrel is very stout in profile. No worries suppressed. Every round fired today was suppressed. Gotta love that PST. Still, looking at how far the brass was going, I may go try running an H3 buffer (H2 is standard) shooting suppressed.

I'm using a Surefire FA762SS, the legacy overlap design. Love it. I've got a .308 SOCOM waiting for the ATF, as well. I think a 16" P'tOBR for it?!?

Good to hear. When I heard "field grade" I thought maybe the crowning or threading wasn't 100% on the money yet. I just don't want to see a baffle strike. Sounds like yours is good to go. I'll definitely run a rod down the bore to be sure I'm safe.

Would love to hear about your experiments with different buffers and loads.

Enjoy the rifle!

One thing Larue does is take world class photos of his stuff. Why would you want to see mine?

Just kidding. I need daylight. I just use a pocket camera.

I know, but its fun to see one in the wild, instead of the zoo.
Also, what does it weigh in at, without scope, i am looking for a lighter ar-10, before i decide to build my own.

New 18" P'tOBR decked out with Surefire FA762SS:

IMG_3225.JPG

My OBR lower cross-dressing with P'tOBR upper:

IMG_3221.JPG

Strangely, the heavier PRS stock balances out the rifle better with the suppressor aboard than the RAT does. Almost feels lighter! So, this means we can add weight to two other things I'm bad at judging, distance and wind.

I was worried after I installed the P'tOBR lower on the OBR upper, because it was such a snug fit. Keep in mind there's 4 years difference between the manufacture dates on these two rifles. But, fortunately, it only took a solid fist bump to the heel of the stock to rotate the lower away from the upper. Never one to let inductive reasoning interfere with my judgment, I then tried the OBR upper on the P'tOBR lower. Same thing - snug, sure, but no problem getting them apart. I've seen plenty of AR's that required a punch to remove the upper, and way more where the upper was so loose on the lower that the two rattled. So, why can't everybody make uppers and lowers that fit like this???

I've come to a conclusion about the Black Gold trigger. I like it, a lot. It might not be the optimum choice for all applications, since it is on the light side, but for precision use I think it will be outstanding.

This Black Gold trigger has a very light, short first stage, with a crisp 2.5 pound break and short overtravel. The face of the trigger itself is narrow, much like that of a Jewell trigger for a bolt gun. When I was running it fast on steel targets, it felt more like a single stage.

Last edited:
New 18" P'tOBR decked out with Surefire FA762SS:

IMG_3225.JPG

My OBR lower cross-dressing with P'tOBR upper:

IMG_3221.JPG

Strangely, the heavier PRS stock balances out the rifle better with the suppressor aboard than the RAT does. Almost feels lighter! So, this means we can add weight to two other things I'm bad at judging, distance and wind.

I was worried after I installed the P'tOBR lower on the OBR upper, because it was such a snug fit. Keep in mind there's 4 years difference between the manufacture dates on these two rifles. But, fortunately, it only took a solid fist bump to the heel of the stock to rotate the lower away from the upper. Never one to let inductive reasoning interfere with my judgment, I then tried the OBR upper on the P'tOBR lower. Same thing - snug, sure, but no problem getting them apart. I've seen plenty of AR's that required a punch to remove the upper, and way more where the upper was so loose on the lower that the two rattled. So, why can't everybody make uppers and lowers that fit like this???

Jp and Larue....best fitting recievers out there in my opinion.

The RAT stock and I have spent some time together now. This accessory alone sets it apart from all others of its genre for use on a real fighting gun:

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-rat™-rod-kit

When I saw this, I had one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments.

Another thing I've noticed: The new P'tOBR upper receiver is more stout in cross section than that of either my OBR or P'tAR.

Wish Larue would make some tan rail thingies for the forend.

I'm about to order everything to UDE my tAR. No reason other than I like the looks. It's my hunting rig so why not.

Glad to see how the "bad" barrels shoot!

Mine will be a while before it gets here so I might not get a field barrel in mine.

BigDozer66

Well packaged! I was impressed with the neat little toolbox, The tidy Cordura tool roll for the components, the nifty barrel nut wrench, how smoothly the gun went together, and even the tiny key ring size carabiners they used to keep the latches on the toolbox from opening in shipment. Mostly, after waiting 19 months, I just wanted to get the rifle in my hands, even if it did just have a (shudder!) "Field Grade" barrel.

I like the PredatOBR. I already have an OBR and a PredatAR, but I think the PredatOBR is the rifle they should have built first! The ergonomics are much improved over the OBR, at least for me. The P'tOBR is better balanced I think than the lighter PredatAR. The pistol grip very nicely designed (but unfortunately too small for me - stippled Sierra Precision Rifle grip standing by). It reminds me of the HK45 grip - I don't care for the pistol, but I love its grip. What in the world do we need a new carbine stock for, I was thinking? But, the Larue RAT stock is really pretty nice, with some truly unique features - I think I'll leave it in place. This was my first exposure to the Black Gold trigger. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Since I plan for this eventually to be a precision rifle, I'll be putting a Geissele National Match in it, anyway.

I had a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS already sitting around in a mount, plus a spare suppressor mount, so with 5 minutes of tool time, but no cleaning, borescope inspection, lube, anything, off to the range I went. The sun was going down!

It was almost dark when I got there, so I just did a quick redneck boresight job, threw the suppressor and a Harris bipod on it, and plopped down on a concrete bench. Yeah, I know that Harris bipods and concrete benches are far less than optimum. At least I did remember to bring a rear bag.

Here's my first group at 100 yards, using some 12 year old Black Hills Red Box 168 SMK:

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

The sun was down now, so I banged away at some steel in the low light conditions for another 30 rounds. 40 or so rounds is not much, but it is reassuring when a new gun runs reliably.

It's surprisingly accurate! This initial accuracy is FAR better than I was expecting with this barrel. This batch of M118LR won't shoot any better in my OBR than this. And no rifle I own likes the BH 168 SMK - That's why I've had it around so long. Now, I don't know how this barrel is going to run when hot, dirty, etc. But, I think we are off to a positive start.

Thanks for the report and good to see the "bad" barrels shoot pretty good!

I might not get a field barrel as my order is way on down on the list and at some point they will not offer them to everyone.

BigDozer66

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

I've decided to make the transition from my OBR to the P'tOBR smoother by adopting the same PRS stock, SPR grip, and Geissele NM trigger that I've been using for some time on the OBR:

IMG_3232.JPG

I'm going back to the Black Gold trigger after a bit.

Rule of Concealment (Rule of Concealment, "Hard Use Life Support Equipment") did this amazing stippling job on the SPR grip:

IMG_3234.JPG

Mike Rock told me a long time ago it was easy to describe a good barrel. A good barrel must be round, straight, and smooth. It's just hard to make them that way.

With a bore scope, you really can't evaluate the round and straight part, but you can tell if a barrel is smooth, what degree of tool marks it has in the chamber and throat, how well done the crown is, where the carbon and copper are building up, and how well your cleaning regimen does to remove them.

Before cleaning, the barrel plainly had carbon in it from being fired forty rounds suppressed. I cleaned the carbon with KG-1 and did a bore scope look-see. Here's what I saw: A smooth finish, on the par with the best button rifled barrels I've seen, Lilja, Lothar-Walther, and Noveske, what I've come to expect in a "hand lapped" finish. Four groove modified polygonal rifling. Very nice throat with an absolute minimum of tool marks. Only new barrel throats I've seen like this were from Lothar-Walther. They hone their chambers. "XTRAXN" chamber grooves. A few light, random looking circumferential tool marks in the neck that seemed totally out of place in such an otherwise tidy chamber.

No copper remained that I could see after the KG-1. Not what I normally see in a new barrel regardless of quality. I then used the KG-2 on the throat and bore. The resulting brightness through the borescope hurt my eyes. This reminds me of the L-W barrels in the two Larue .308's I already have.

So, how hard is the stainless steel this barrel? Maybe I can get access to a Rockwell hardness tester locally. I'd rather go shoot it some more.

I did not bother to look at the crown, since I had already installed the Surefire muzzle device. i think it is safe to assume it's OK, since the rifle shoots well.

Last edited:
Any chance of a picture without the suppressor mounted? Congrats on the rifle.

Also, what does it weigh in at, without scope, i am looking for a lighter ar-10, before i decide to build my own.

Having switched out the collapsable stock for the PRS, I can't say precisely what the stock gun would weigh without doing some ciphering, and I don't have a spare PRS with rifle type gas system on hand to weigh. I will let you know what the P'tOBR (with PRS) minus optic and mount weighs and compare that number with that of the OBR.

But, if you want a truly lightweight .308, my Larue 16" PredatAR in stock trim weighed in at 7 LB 15 OZ.

IMG_0406.jpg

Of course, when you start hanging scopes, Grip-Pods, lasers, phasers, tasers, etc., on them, any rifle can still get heavy.

I was perfectly happy with my three-digit OBR until I got the above PredatAR. The P'tAR ergonomics work SO much better for me, simply because it feels just like a typical flat top AR' and it is so much lighter. (The P'tAR will shoot better than you might expect for such a wispy barrel. It just requires more consistency to shoot well from a variety of positions.) Then, that got me thinking ... OBR barrel in P'tAR chassis!?!

I'm not the first or only to reach this conclusion, I'm sure. I even had tentative plans to cannibalize my OBR barrel and throw it in the P'tAR, but then the P'tOBR was announced.

So why did the intuitively obvious take so damn long?!? Anyway, I try not to focus on that. Instead, I'm enjoying the reality of the fact that the rifle I've been wanting is finally here.

Last edited:
Is there a noticeable weight difference between the tOBR and your OBR? Any comparison between shooting the two?

The heaviest component in the rifle is the barrel - and they're the same except for length. Everything else but the forend, top rail (OBR), and stock is also the same. I can't say exactly how much the PredatOBR weighs because I've cluttered it up with optics, different stock & pistol grip, etc. But, when I can weigh a stock P'tOBR, I'll let you know.

I can give you the weight of my 20" OBR - 9 LB 14 OZ with the (heavy) 1 LB 11 OZ Magpul PRS mounted, on my ChiCom scale. Given that an A2 or carbine stock comes in approximately a pound less, you'd be just under 9 pounds. I'm guessing that's close to what a P'tOBR would come in weight-wise, too.

The drop at the comb of the stock with the P'tOBR is 1/8" greater than that of the typical 5.56MM gas gun. The OBR has an additional 3/10" or so, due to the continuous 30 MOA top rail. For me, the P'tAR and P'tOBR come to hand more naturally when shooting.

Last edited:
MSTN,

just curious is your new OBR's barrel marked field grade? the only reason i ask is that I noticed that some barrels are marked "LaRue FIELD GRADE", considering Larue's history, it wouldnt surprise me if they cherry picked a good barrel and sent it out to a respected shooter/builder.

none the less decent groups, not 19 month, 3400 dollar decent groups but better that most OBR's

Your rifle looks bad-ass! I have the 18" OBR in 5.56, and I've set it up with the FDE Magpul PRS, pistol grip, and rail covers on the forend. I have a TBAC coming at some point in the future, and it has a FDE cover. Nice to get a preview of what mine will look like. Also considering having the scope cerakoted FDE. That may be overkill though.

Gunner10, I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said about LaRue!!! All it took was somebody to shoot a sub 0.5" (assuming those are 1" boxes) 100 yard 5 shot group right out of the box with factory ammo. I believe you're the guy in my LaRue thread that was saying I should be happy with 1.5" groups, because anything less than that with a gas gun is great, and it's unrealistic to expect sub MOA accuracy (or something along those lines). I could be wrong though, because quite a few people have that same picture in their avatar.

I wonder how much more decent those groups will get with a load work up and another 300 rounds down the tube.

Last edited:
Your rifle looks bad-ass! I have the 18" OBR in 5.56, and I've set it up with the FDE Magpul PRS, pistol grip, and rail covers on the forend. I have a TBAC coming at some point in the future, and it has a FDE cover. Nice to get a preview of what mine will look like. Also considering having the scope cerakoted FDE. That may be overkill though.

Gunner10, I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said about LaRue!!! All it took was somebody to shoot a sub 0.5" (assuming those are 1" boxes) 100 yard 5 shot group right out of the box with factory ammo. I believe you're the guy in my LaRue thread that was saying I should be happy with 1.5" groups, because anything less than that with a gas gun is great, and it's unrealistic to expect sub MOA accuracy (or something along those lines). I could be wrong though, because quite a few people have that same picture in their avatar. I wonder how much more decent those groups will get with a load work up and another 300 rounds down the tube.

So I'm sure the Field Grade barrels can all shoot good groups. What some have said is extended periods of fire cause them to string horribly. I'm curious to see more reviews on the platform.

If I had a barrel that was shooting sub 0.5" groups right out of the box, but it would string horribly when it got too hot, I would try to keep it from getting hot. Mind you, I've never shot in any tactical type of competitions, so I don't know how much/how often you shoot. It may not be practical for that, which would be a big negative. Could most likely get away with it in F T/R though, unless it just totally craps out as soon as there is any heat to it.

Are those people defining what that extended period is?

MSTN that is one purdy rifle. You see Larue Tactical get knocked around a lot, especially in here but they do make a damn fine rifle. I though very hard about the OBR and PredatOBR but just to long of a wait and was not sure about Customer Service. I do believe that most people love Larue Tactical but don't love Mark in General.

MSTN that is one purdy rifle. You see Larue Tactical get knocked around a lot, especially in here but they do make a damn fine rifle. I though very hard about the OBR and PredatOBR but just to long of a wait and was not sure about Customer Service. I do believe that most people love Larue Tactical but don't love Mark in General.

Ya....love is a strong word....but pretty accurate. Most of us don't have issues with LT as they do make some good rifles. Mark's ego is the problem.

MSTN,

just curious is your new OBR's barrel marked field grade? the only reason i ask is that I noticed that some barrels are marked "LaRue FIELD GRADE", considering Larue's history, it wouldnt surprise me if they cherry picked a good barrel and sent it out to a respected shooter/builder.

none the less decent groups, not 19 month, 3400 dollar decent groups but better that most OBR's

Yes, it is marked "FIELD GRADE" forward on top of the barrel, but the marking is covered by the Surefire overlap design muzzle device.

I ordered three rifles at once on 3/20/12, one for an old 5th Group war horse, one for another FedEx pilot, and this one for me. Maybe we all got cherry-picked barrels! I'll report on their results as I get them.

Thanks for the kind words - "respected shooter/builder". If you knew me, you might not feel the same way. I'm a 65 year old train wreck, a cardiac cripple. I take four Rx per day just to stay alive. I've had four orthopedic procedures and need two more. I tried entering a Ronin tactical match a year and a half ago and came in third from last. My left knee hasn't been the same since.

On the 19 month thing: You're right - I am NOT happy about that!!! Nobody is happy about that!!!

While I'm in the "RANT" mode: This isn't exactly the rifle I ordered. It does not have the L-W barrel I am so crazy about like in my old OBR and PredatAR. It doesn't have the same trigger! EVERY single AR' format platform I have has a Geissele trigger of some sort in it. Larue is responsible for getting me hooked on Geissele triggers in the first place. Every upper I build gets assembled on a Geissele reaction rod. I even have a (gasp!) Geissele SHOP APRON (Thanks, again, Bill)!

What I DID get that I did NOT order:

A take-down rifle that will do a barrel swap as fast as a LMT MWS. But, unlike the MWS, I can get easily get an aftermarket barrel in this thing! (Thinking a 24" 6.5-something???)

Some weird skinny modular trigger with a short, light take up that breaks at a crisp at 2.5 pounds. Too light for run-n-gun but fine for what I'm doing.

A "field grade" barrel with no pedigree that will outshoot my OBR. Plus, the promise of a "good" barrel to follow. I know where I'm getting my barrel extension, PST gas block, and gas tube for that 6.5-something!

A really neat barrel wrench. You need to see a photo of this. It is one nicely designed tool, not the usual freebie.

A good looking tool box that my wife got. She's so easy to entertain!

I still am not happy about the 19 month wait. It's a good thing I have such a short attention span and focus instead on enjoying the rifle.

And, that's what I did today:

IMG_3262.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

So I'm sure the Field Grade barrels can all shoot good groups. What some have said is extended periods of fire cause them to string horribly. I'm curious to see more reviews on the platform.

Today, I shot over the chrono to get data on this 18" barrel:

BH 168 SMK 2616 FPS

M118LR 2567 FPS (This is only 25 FPS slower than my 20" OBR.)

On the first group with the BH, the accuracy started falling apart:

IMG_3260.JPG

Just kidding - I'm demonstrating that I am the "Master of the Four-Shot Group" so many times when I shoot five.

But, to allay your concern about the barrel heating up and stringing, after the chrono session, I went out and shot 60 rounds at a steel plate 17" high X 11" wide at 735 yards. The gun got VERY hot, because when I had the wind figured out, it was like the final protective fire out there until time for a mag change. Now, I did not hit the all the time, but, when I did, my vertical dispersion looked to be pretty good, not much over an MOA. I did bust some rocks on the left and right, I admit, but that's between me and the wind.

Dang Wes! Good pics, and I like the rifle more everytime I see it. I wish we had some open and rolling country like that around here.

good info, it looks like its a solid shooter, it would of been cool it they would of submitted for the CSASS test, as it would be interesting to see how their handguard/barrel nut set up would of held up.

curious, what are your thoughts on their barrel nut design?

Did they contact you about whether or not you wanted to do the field grade barrel option? I'm on the waiting list.

curious, what are your thoughts on their barrel nut design?

The barrel nut is pretty conventional in design (stainless?), but very well made, with very distinct cuts in it to accept the proprietary wrench that comes with the kit. I'll get a photo of the rifle minus handguard so you can see it, plus a shot of the barrel nut wrench.

Did they contact you about whether or not you wanted to do the field grade barrel option? I'm on the waiting list.

Yes, I was contacted to see if I wanted to opt to go with a field grade barrel at the present time, just as I was contacted to see if I wanted to take the lower receiver option several months ago.

what happens if you lose the wrench, i can find a torx bit and torq wrench anywhere , something like the KAC URX wrench, LoL/

good info, keep it comming

what happens if you lose the wrench, i can find a torx bit and torq wrench anywhere , something like the KAC URX wrench, LoL/

good info, keep it comming

Well and truly screwed???

Long ago, I was an adjunct target painter at Mid-South Shooting. I can remember these Navy guys shooting yelling stuff like "COVER-CHECK-READY-MOVING-MOVE!!!" But, I never heard "BARREL NUT WRENCH!!!"

You may have discovered a hole in our military's tactical thinking.